We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Soft coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I am trying to make some of my halves soft. I want to do it to one of my Kennedys and to my Walking Liberty. Any advice here?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm certainly not a coin expert, but I think the only thing that can really wear them down is time. You would probably have a much easier time going to a coin shop or show and looking for "slicks" as they're called in the coin business. The good news is, these are almost worthless to serious collectors and won't cost you nearly as much as one in pristine condition.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Well...you can wear coins down artificially. It just takes experience to make them look naturally aged and worn. It's almost an art in itself. I am not sure you want to wear down a Kennedy. If you are bent on wearing your Kennedys...it might help to know that it might only work with the 1964s. Any other year...it would be clad coins.

There are several threads on how to soften the coins. I will try to find the Café threads....well, chances are, you will find them before I do.

PM me should you need further help.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
There, I knew a real expert would speak up. Thanks, Rannie!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Pepsker....no expert here...lol. I just know a bit about coins. See you soon, buddy!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hehe. Thanks guys. I will try the coin shop by me. I don't often use kennedys and the ones I want to soften are already scratched up and chipped and pretty aged. Might as well get them soft Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Pepka is right about going to the coin shop and asking for "culls" or "slicks"! Rannie is also spot on about 64's vers. clads and that it IS a talent in and of itself to "soften" a coin! Daryl demonstrates a method on his 3 Fly III dvd that I think would work well. HOWEVER, IMO the time it will take to get em looking naturally worn, I could learn 2 tricks, 3 new sleights and save the money to buy soft coins from a dealer!
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hehe. Thanks. I think I'm just going to save up some money and hit up some coin shops Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Soft coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL