The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What's with you illusionists? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I'm both amazed and saddened to see that one of most innovative and creative illusionist of the past 50 years has died, and the only people (as of the time of me making this post) to make any comment in this, the Grand Illusion section of the Café, are 3 comedy magicians and one of his fellow countrymen (who for all I know might be a comedy magician, too).

I'm not sure what to think that says about the appreciation the illusionists here at the Café have for the giants on whose shoulders they are standing.

http://www.magician.org/portal/hi/node/631

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Sad day for sure. Not sure what you are asking for, but the Grand Illusion section has its ups and downs throughout the day. Now it may only be 3, but later in the day, it could be 15. Obviously, you must have known him pretty well. Do you think that you could educate us on his life? That would be most appreciated.

BYUDAD
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......um=36&10

Honestly, though, although they might have seen his creations everywhere, most magicians probably don't recognize Fechner's name.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I think it's a positive and healthy experience to remember those who have passed away. I don't, however, think that it says any less of our appreciation that we didn't all run to the Café and start a thread about it in Grand Illusions. I think the implication was a little inappropriate.

That being said, he will certainly be missed and remembered in our industry.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Byudad wrote;
Quote:
Obviously, you must have known him pretty well. Do you think that you could educate us on his life? That would be most appreciated.

I didn't know him at all. I saw him perform once and, other than that, my knowledge of him comes from what I've read about him and what other magicians have told me about him.

Clinton Magus wrote;
Quote:
Honestly, though, although they might have seen his creations everywhere, most magicians probably don't recognize Fechner's name.

That was my point. I'm not an illusionist, and yet I seem to know more about him than those who you'd think would... or dare I say... should?

Chris Stoltz wrote;
Quote:
I don't, however, think that it says any less of our appreciation that we didn't all run to the Café and start a thread about it in Grand Illusions. I think the implication was a little inappropriate.

Chris, you took the trouble to respond and make a post here. For those illusionists who regularly post here on the Café who didn't/haven't passed comment either here or elsewhere, I think the implication is completely appropriate. But then, that's just my opinion.

Neal.
Neal Austin

Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Sealegs,

To be honest here, what are you expecting us to do? There are a lot of people that make huge contributions to the field of magic, illusions. Are you expecting us to know everyone of them and everything that happens in their lives? Seems like you are coming down on us here a little strong and, as Chris wrote, it is a little inappropriate. Yeah, it sucks that he died. Yeah, I am thankful for his contributions, but this is truly the first time I have heard of the guy. I have been around illusions (whether helping out or performing) for 20 years. I am, however, not a historian like you. So please, be a little less abrasive with the folk here on the Café.

BYUDAD
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Well put, BYUDAD.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Re: byudad's post:
Quote:
"....what are you expecting us to do?"

Barely anything....simply acknowledge the passing of one of the great inventors and creators of illusions. It only takes but a few seconds to make a 1 line post to that effect.

Quote:
"Are you expecting us to know every [illusionist] and everything that happens in their lives?

No, not at all. But if you ask, would I expect someone who works as an illusionist to have at least heard of, if only in passing, the name of one of the most creative and inventive illusionists of the last 50 years who's worked in collaboration with some, if not most, of the biggest internationally known names in magic...then my answer would be....yes.

My intention isn't to have a go at anyone. It's more an expression that I find it odd that so few illusionists (or at least those that visit the Café) appear to know the name of Christian Fechner. Maybe it's because he was from this side of the pond?

Neal
Neal Austin

Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I guess if you are not a big time illusionist, you probably never worked with him. I am not a big time illusionist, yet. But thanks for clarifying your point.

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 1:32am
I still don't get it!!!! LOL!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I know a lot of Christians, but not Fechner. Can't really express anything I don't know anything about.

Jim
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
RIP, Mr. Fechner...

Condolences to his family and friends.

For those of us just finding out about him, thank you for the info...

Forgive me, I for one wished I had known of him while he was still with us...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
All I can say about this guy is that he wasn't a household name here in America.
Only the very serious in the world of Magic would even know who he is, and then may not be able to remember his name.... I saw his work at the Gary Darwin Library in Vegas... His books were world class, and he seemed to be a big time movie maker..... But please, leave the magicians alone that haven't heard of him.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing because I know he was a master thinker in the world of magic and illusion.

I think because you new him, or knew who he was, you thought that everyone else did also. (Your bad).......

Next time, think before you attack the American Magician...

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Word to your daddy's wife!!!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I knew about Christian Fechner's passing almost from the moment it happened. A friend of mine in France was also a very close friend of M. Fechner, and he told me about it. I had never met Christian Fechner, but I do have several sets of cups I purchased from his collection in my museum. I also had his set of illusion books for a very long time, but eventually sold them, when I disposed of most of my illusion material.

Some people choose not to make their grief public. They should not be berated for their choices.

Christian Fechner was probably known to more people as a film maker than a magician. He was also a writer.

The perceived inactivity on this forum has little or nothing to do with the fact that he was from "across the pond."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What's with you illusionists? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL