The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Changing IP adresss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Is it possible to change an IP address? If so, how do you go about it? I'm being screwed around with at a chess site, and I need to get it fixed.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
You can use a free proxy but generally they are quite slow, you guy buy good fast proxies, they aren't that expensive...

Heres a free one for example... http://www.proxyblind.org/
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Google "anonymizer" and/or "anonimizer"
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Ctunnel.com is a free proxy. Also check out proxify.com.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
To check if I'm understanding here..a proxy is a temporary IP that stands in for your permanent one? Kind of like disposable e-mail addresses?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Or you can unplug your connection for a few minutes and plug it back in.

So...what'cha do to get booted from a chess place?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's one of the best explanations of ......ver seen:

Hiding Your IP Address

Being an information security enthusiast/professional I am often asked how one can go about hiding their IP address while on the Internet. Here's the analogy I give them:

Ordering Pizza
What would happen if you were to give a fake address when making a pizza delivery order? Simple -- you wouldn't get a pizza. While you could pretty easily fool the pizza place, you ultimately wouldn't accomplish much. The very thing that you wanted (the pizza) would get sent to some other guy's house, and you'd go hungry.

It's the same with the Internet. You need a valid IP address in order to receive web pages and email -- just like you need a valid house address in order to receive a pizza delivery or a package from the post office. If you didn't have an address people simply wouldn't know how to bring you the things you wanted.

Proxies
One popular way of obscuring your IP address is by using a proxy. But proxies don't break the rules; they just add a bit of complexity. Using our pizza delivery analogy, a proxy is like calling your buddy at his house and having him order your pizza. Then, when the pizza gets there, he brings it to YOU.

But guess what? You still need an address. If your buddy didn't know where you lived he couldn't bring you your pizza. So you hid from the pizza place, but not from everyone.

The key here is that the pizza shop didn't hear your voice (what browser you're using), your accent (your operating system), or get your mailing address (your IP). They got your friend's information instead, and that's what people like about proxies.

Conclusion
Just remember that proxies aren't magical; they simply add extra hops in the middle. Each person still has an address (you, your buddy, and the pizza place). So don't think of it as "hiding" or "becoming invisible"; this isn't how the Internet works.

The Internet needs to know your IP addressees or else you can't use it. If you were truly hidden, nobody would be able to bring you the stuff you asked for -- whether that something was a pizza or an email from a friend.

Here's some info on changing your IP address.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What if you want to hit the pizza guy in the head and take his money and the pizza. Wouldn't you then give him an address that looks legit and then when he gets out of his car thinking it might be the right place you jump out, clonk him, and be on your way?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 18:49, MagicSanta wrote:
What if you want to hit the pizza guy in the head and take his money and the pizza. Wouldn't you then give him an address that looks legit and then when he gets out of his car thinking it might be the right place you jump out, clonk him, and be on your way?

Or give him an address down the road and wait for him so when he arrives you meet him at the gate, pay for the pizza and go to your own home as soon as he leaves.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you ABC, that is an excellent suggestion.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 18:34, MagicSanta wrote:
Or you can unplug your connection for a few minutes and plug it back in.

So...what'cha do to get booted from a chess place?

Well, I didn't get booted. But I had registered a couple or three years ago on Gameknot. Then I had gotten off, not played games for a couple years because of my wife's death and the many subsequent upheavals in my life.
Well, a few weeks ago, my brother who lives in Indianapolis, had been playing and encouraging me to play him some online games on Gameknot and perhaps get a rating again.

So I went to the site, and having no recollection whatsoever of what my past user name and password was, I created a new account.

I played two or three games, and suddenly when I tried to start a new game or join an issued challenge, I started suddenly getting this "You are in violation of the rules" page. And from that point on, it's all I have been able to get,.

I e-mailed support, but that was like spitting in a hurricane. No response whatsoever. Totally ignored.

So I am left to figure out what my great sin was. NO, I didn't use a computer to help me with my moves. I can only figure it matched my IP address and thought I was cheating by setting up multiple accounts.

"Welcome to machine"

But NOW my son, Jonathan has figured that my Ip is not static, which means it has changed in the past couple years...so I'm once again totally in the dark...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 18:38, Scott Cram wrote:
Here's one of the best explanations of ......ver seen:

Hiding Your IP Address

Being an information security enthusiast/professional I am often asked how one can go about hiding their IP address while on the Internet. Here's the analogy I give them:

Ordering Pizza
What would happen if you were to give a fake address when making a pizza delivery order? Simple -- you wouldn't get a pizza. While you could pretty easily fool the pizza place, you ultimately wouldn't accomplish much. The very thing that you wanted (the pizza) would get sent to some other guy's house, and you'd go hungry.

It's the same with the Internet. You need a valid IP address in order to receive web pages and email -- just like you need a valid house address in order to receive a pizza delivery or a package from the post office. If you didn't have an address people simply wouldn't know how to bring you the things you wanted.

Proxies
One popular way of obscuring your IP address is by using a proxy. But proxies don't break the rules; they just add a bit of complexity. Using our pizza delivery analogy, a proxy is like calling your buddy at his house and having him order your pizza. Then, when the pizza gets there, he brings it to YOU.

But guess what? You still need an address. If your buddy didn't know where you lived he couldn't bring you your pizza. So you hid from the pizza place, but not from everyone.

The key here is that the pizza shop didn't hear your voice (what browser you're using), your accent (your operating system), or get your mailing address (your IP). They got your friend's information instead, and that's what people like about proxies.

Conclusion
Just remember that proxies aren't magical; they simply add extra hops in the middle. Each person still has an address (you, your buddy, and the pizza place). So don't think of it as "hiding" or "becoming invisible"; this isn't how the Internet works.

The Internet needs to know your IP addressees or else you can't use it. If you were truly hidden, nobody would be able to bring you the stuff you asked for -- whether that something was a pizza or an email from a friend.

Here's some info on changing your IP address.

Thanks for the cool analogy!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Don't worry about the pizza analogy, you don't need pizza. No offense Scott but I think your information is terrible. You still get what you want if you know what your doing. Even if you don't really know what your doing, I mean I can still get my email on any ip address in the world!

It seems to me daffy that maybe it wasn't a multiple account problem it could of just been a glitch? If not try to send another email for a better email account or from other email accounts free email usually get caught up in spam filters.

:R:B:

p.s I might use a blocker on my phone to stop them tracing my call to the pizza place if I was paranoid or wear a disguise when I picked up my pizza.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I forget passwords seconds after I get one entered. If Harry Loryne ever got hold of me he'd kick me in the gnads I tell you. I wish I could play chess, good luck Doug and...well...I don't know any good luck statements in chessanese.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ha!! Chessanese! Great neologism!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Now I'm at the stage of connectus interruptus.

I was playing with my bro, and had inadvertently allowed him to bag my queen's knight, putting me three points down. however, I fought back hard and gained a couple pawns so I was only a point down and the position looked drawish. Then when I went to make my juggernaut of a move I was hit by this screen:

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

It's been over 8 hours and that is all I can get.

Me thinks I have been canned. I have become part of Gameknot's rejectamenta.

But no problemo. If they think they are the only site where someone can get a good chess game, I have news for them. Google is my friend, and I can find dozens of sites to play online. F*** 'em.

But I have the funny feeling that gameknot thinks their proverbial **** don't stink.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Think of the good ol' days Dougster, when people use to play by mail.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2008-12-06 13:15, MagicSanta wrote:
Think of the good ol' days Dougster, when people use to play by mail.

What's "mail"? Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is an old service that use to deliver our record albums.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I thought mail was for boys and FE-mail for girls which is why boys and girls can use the more modern form of E-mail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Changing IP adresss (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL