The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Loughran's ONE Levitation (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34 [Next]
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
My One was the package waiting for me at the post office, so as promised here are my initial reactions. Please bear in mind I have yet to perform this for a paying audience and will update my comments accordingly when I have.

I was eagerly waiting for this and cursing the Christmas post but, judging by the postal mark, it was actually sent a week after I ordered. No disrespect to Peter, who has been a pleasure to deal with and I consider a great guy but I would have preferred to have known there'd be a dispatch delay, or even better had it posted closer to my order date. Unfortunately I've no more gigs until New Year now, so I won't be able to road test it for a good few weeks.

Before I go on, I also want to take this opportunity to thank Peter for answering all my questions promptly and giving me the information I required in order to ascertain if this effect would be usable for my routine, style and clothing options. I can understand why some Café members may have been reluctant to respond to my post but Peter was very helpful and comes across as a really nice guy.

Now to the gimmick. I have to say, unlike one reviewer stated, the gimmick doesn't look like something out of a James Bond movie, this gave a false impression of what I'd receive and raised my expectations. What you get is a practical, usable and real gimmick - not some out there special effect. As other people have mentioned, part of the gimmick is made of wood, which I can't quite figure out why and am sure another material would have been stronger and just as practical.

For comfort the effect does require some footwear modification. I haven't had a chance to do this yet but have tried the temporary solution. I found this quite uncomfortable, which made performing difficult, it's also not Peter's recommended method so I will be trying a one of the other modification methods.

I have to admit I wasn't impressed by the gimmick when I first saw it, I just couldn't see how it would look realistic. There's also some chips where it's been cut but I'm hoping these won't affect the performance. I rigged it up, went to a full length mirror and up I went and I have to say it looked very, very impressive and better than in the demo video. I also think, with practice and with a one of the other suggested modifications, I'll be able to stay up a lot longer than in the demo video, which looks more like someone jumping rather than levitating. One thing I did find is, if I went up on one foot before the other, I could see a bit of the gimmick in the mirror but as soon as I raised my other foot the gimmick completely disappeared and looked like, well magic. I have to say the levitation looked great and far better than I ever expected. It genuinely looks real and I can see this looking great on stage, where the audience will have a clear view under your feet.

The package comes with some well written, if occasionally confusing instructions and an entirely pointless CD-ROM. I expected the CD-ROM to guide me through the various methods of shoe modification and performance but instead it has the demo we've all seen and a slightly extended version of this, that offers very little additional value.

At present I find value for money very hard to gauge. The parts certainly wouldn't cost anything near the value of the effect. I also found the international shipping and handling to be a little high, being almost twice what was written on the docket. It's the effect, ingenuity, research, development and exclusivity you're paying for and I find it hard to comment on this at present not having performed it but I can really see this amazing audiences. The price also acts a barrier, preventing everyone from owning this effect, whether this is valid consideration is a discussion for elsewhere on this forum.

I won't mark this out of 10 as I'm in no position to do so but from what I've seen, The One is a very impressive levitation device that does everything we've been promised and really did look like I was floating off the ground, which is exactly what I wanted.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
It seems that no US dealer carries this.

I called H.P. and they told me they don't sell it anymore.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
I think the best and possibly only way to get it is through MasterOfIllusions.ca
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
HP had an incredible deal on this about a month ago, in their clearance section, selling it an extremely low price. Don't know why, didn't ask questions; just bought it. And I echo the thoughts that it is extremely clever. I haven't got it worked out for me yet to perform, will take some more time.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-12-22 16:47, Frank Russell wrote:
I think the best and possibly only way to get it is through MasterOfIllusions.ca

Yes and we all know how great the Canadian postal service is...

I had things arrive after 2 month or never.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
Ugh! I forgot about that. Hank Lee probably still has it. I think they give free shipping on orders over $60.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Nope, don't have it either.

Maybe someone can shed light on the case.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
WOW! Not sure. Peter will probably read this when he gets back into society any time now. He is out in the boonies making a horror film. I guess he does it all! Anyway, he is real good about checking in and filling in the blanks. If you can be patient with Canadian P.S. (many would consider it Canadian B.S.) but you can definitely order it straight from Loughran.
Fairmagic1000
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fairmagic1000
Hi. I aded a demo Video for a few days. Here you can see the shoe on the Gimmick. Very nice Mr. Loughran!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQlw_Fd2wI
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Wow, as demonstrated by the invisible man.
T,im Dawson
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of T,im Dawson
Yes Very funny really!
But it isn't April Fools Day yet
Cheers
tjd
Fairmagic1000
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fairmagic1000
?What´s the problem? I filmed it for other magicans, so they can view the angles, because I think the Demo Video of Peter Loughran is not so good cause it looks like he´s jumping. So my Video is the "one Levitation"!
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
It's nice, but it would be better if you were wearing them while levitating. Smile
Fairmagic1000
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fairmagic1000
Really?Thank you for this good bet:-)
T,im Dawson
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of T,im Dawson
Hello Fairmagic,
No problem I didn't think it was for real!
Respect to you Sir
Cheers
tjd
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2010-01-21 08:15, pegasus wrote:

The 1 legged invisible man. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Fairmagic1000
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fairmagic1000
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 21:55, edh wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-21 08:15, pegasus wrote:

The 1 legged invisible man. Smile

Paar an Hals?
restaurant3000
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of restaurant3000
I'm starting to get really interested in this levitation.
Can anyone tell me, am I able to do this levitation without filling up any more pockets?
Thanks.

Also, I would have thought that there would be more video demo's of this product, I'd certainly include one on my showreel if I could do it to the effect of Peter L's.
Booyah!
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
It's a few months since you posted this but will answer your question if you're still interested. Nope no more pockets to fill up. Am surprised there's no more demos either and I honestly don't think Peter's does it justice. I was amazed the first time I performed this in a mirror. Unfortunately I've never performed this in front of a live audience so can't comment on what their reaction would be.
ruprac
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of ruprac
Just purchased this from Peter.. Hopefully it arrives soon Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Loughran's ONE Levitation (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL