The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why all the hating? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 09:41, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 20:34, johnscot777 wrote:

.....it seems fruitless to knock the guy on a magic forum.

Yes, you are absolutely right on.
It seems as though these discussions come up every so often on CA and or DB.
They mean nothing and lead absolutely nowhere. I don't even know why I bothered to post on this thread. Like the old saying goes: "Opinions are like navel's....everybody has one"!

~gaffed~ Smile
It may not lead anywhere in the grand scheme. But it can help some people (myself included) to understand where this animosity is coming from.
I posted this as a response to some comments I saw elsewhere, where some guys were just bashing away without giving any kind of specifics.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 17:19, T. Sebastian wrote:
......to understand where this animosity is coming from.

Again.....you have you used the word animosity meaning: : ill will or resentment tending toward active hostility : an antagonistic attitude.

I've not seen one reference on this thread where the word hatred or, as you put it, animosity was ever alluded to.

I've yet so far have only seen some given opinions as to the subject you brought up. Why this obsessive feeling that you feel people hate or are have any animosity towards CA? Please point out one post on this thread where such feelings were put forth toward him!

I'll go on with my life as will you and CA, DB, Donald Trump etc.and all the power to them and you and I. Great......so what! It doesn't affect my life one way or the other. I could care less. Jeez....put it to rest and go on with your magic as best as you possibly can as will I and I'm sure most others here will.

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
I would have to say that Criss Angel has brought a much needed new life to magic, and for that we all should thank him. As far as why people bash him, I feel that for starters he is actually doing something, as for most of the people (magicians) that find it easy to bash him, they aren’t doing anything as far as performing, and so it’s pretty easy to point the finger at the few magicians that actually perform. Also consider this if you had the opportunity given to you to have a TV show, I bet that you would run out of material and resort to different unconventional options, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. On the other hand I would have to say he uses way too many goons and camera tricks. I would prefer a what you see is what you get live or on TV type of performance.

Don’t drink the HATERADE!
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I don't Hate Angel because he is rich. Money is easy, if you are willing. I am not. I don't hate Angel because he is famous. Fame, also, is easy, if you are willing. Fact is, I don't really hate Chris Angel. What I do hate is anyone who sells a low quality product through hype and marketing. I hate that. Angel's work is poorly staged, poorly written, not rehearsed, his delivery is flat,and amateurish. At least in the Television shows, I haven't personally seen him live, nor do I wish to. I don't hate Angel, he isn't worth my hate.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 14:35, Justin Style wrote

It could be anyone, not just C.A. When he's gone and the next big thing comes along, the arrows will be pointed there. People just like to talk tough and besides, misery loves company. So, I guess that's why there are so many haters out there.

:righton: Smile
Yes.
It doesn't matter who we are talking about. I just want to understand why people behave this way.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
You can't apply a blanket motive. It is fallacious to assume that any two people do the same thing for the same reasons. Would it be reasonable to suggest that you support Chris Angel because you are sycophantic? I personally disapprove of Angel and Blane's methods. I find their products to be inferior, and successful, only through hype and deception. (No, magic is not deceptive by it's very nature, so spare me that line.) I have a perfectly valid and logical reason to disapprove of Blane and Angel, that you have, thus far, chosen to completely ignore. I don't, nor did I, disapprove of Copperfield or Henning in their times. They produced quality products. Mark Wilson put a great deal of effort into his work, and you will get nothing but praise out of me for it. If you are just here to feel superior about yourselves for being "above" the popular opinion, then spare me. You don't need a public forum to delude yourself. If, on the other hand, you are actually interested in the real "why", then think about what I have written.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 13:04, JackScratch wrote:
You can't apply a blanket motive. It is fallacious to assume that any two people do the same thing for the same reasons. Would it be reasonable to suggest that you support Chris Angel because you are sycophantic? I personally disapprove of Angel and Blane's methods. I find their products to be inferior, and successful, only through hype and deception. (No, magic is not deceptive by it's very nature, so spare me that line.) I have a perfectly valid and logical reason to disapprove of Blane and Angel, that you have, thus far, chosen to completely ignore. I don't, nor did I, disapprove of Copperfield or Henning in their times. They produced quality products. Mark Wilson put a great deal of effort into his work, and you will get nothing but praise out of me for it. If you are just here to feel superior about yourselves for being "above" the popular opinion, then spare me. You don't need a public forum to delude yourself. If, on the other hand, you are actually interested in the real "why", then think about what I have written.
What is reasonable to assume is that I am a street magician. I seek neither fame or fortune. I'm not seeking superiority and I don't need your approval or acceptance. So go ahead and keep insulting me if it makes you feel better. I can take it. Yeah. Let it all out. Make your victim my head.

It's too bad we can't have a civil conversation.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 13:04, JackScratch wrote: Would it be reasonable to suggest that you support Chris Angel because you are sycophantic?

I had forgotten all about this thread and just came upon it again.
I think it was uncalled for to try and compare T. Sebastian to as a sycophant. It never occurred to me that he was trying to be servile and seeking any kind of self serving flatter! For what purpose and to what end would it serve him? He was simply trying to glean some information as to why some people seem to dislike CA. Nothing more and nothing else as far as I can ascertain. Why the need for being so sarcastic? I honestly think that was totally uncalled for. It was simply a discussion on his part and he gains nothing from the negative or the positive input that may be given as to CA. Can we not be civil in a simple discussion without casting out names that are totally uncalled for when one may agree or not agree with you?

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Quote:
On 2008-12-25 23:46, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 13:04, JackScratch wrote: Would it be reasonable to suggest that you support Chris Angel because you are sycophantic?

I had forgotten all about this thread and just came upon it again.
I think it was uncalled for to try and compare T. Sebastian to as a sycophant. It never occurred to me that he was trying to be servile and seeking any kind of self serving flatter! For what purpose and to what end would it serve him? He was simply trying to glean some information as to why some people seem to dislike CA. Nothing more and nothing else as far as I can ascertain. Why the need for being so sarcastic? I honestly think that was totally uncalled for. It was simply a discussion on his part and he gains nothing from the negative or the positive input that may be given as to CA. Can we not be civil in a simple discussion without casting out names that are totally uncalled for when one may agree or not agree with you?

~gaffed~
Thank you Mr. Gaffed. I felt the same way.

It's true I want to understand why Mr. Angel is unpopular in some circles. And I think I have a pretty firm grasp on that now. But he's really just an example I chose to use. Some of you brought up David Blaine. He's another good example. Another would be Brad Christian and Ellusionist.

My real goal is to put forth an idea.
"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't any good."

I believe that everyone has something to offer. I believe that we, as members of a fraternity of artists, should be supportive of one another. Even if we don't like each other. At the very least, we should treat each other with respect. It is very easy to assault someone anonymously on a web forum. I am suggesting that we treat people here the same as we would in person.
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 13:38, Justin Style wrote:

Did I ever tell you David Blaine used to hang around me?

Love the pic Justin. And for the record, I don't hate Angel, I just don't care for the effects that rely on camera tricks. I still tune in from time to time just to see some of his sleight of hand stuff.
<BR>Mikey M.
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
I don't like Angel's act. It isn't my cup of tea. However, I think that his brand of magic actually makes it easier for those of us who do close up. I think a lot of people believe that what he does is just camera tricks. I mean, floating above Las Vegas... please. As a result, when you do magic and it happens in the person's hand, that really blows people away.

So thank you Criss Angel for doing such over the top effects that people think they are watching special effects or audience stooges so when I do a copper/silver routine in their hand, they are really shocked.
Lord of War
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville
7 Posts

Profile of Lord of War
I used to enjoy watching Mind Freak occasionally, but after a while I got so skeptical of some of the tricks it didn't even seem worth it to watch. I think it has to do with the TV factor.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
And now we see the truth. You show this thread for the trolling it is. None of the things you accused my of are in my replies. You took words I used and ordered them to best serve your combative needs. Read what I wrote. I didn't call anyone "sycophant". Pleas, don't let a little thing like facts ruin your drama party. I gave you perfectly reasonable rational answers to your supposed "question". Of course you took it as an insult. That wasn't what you wanted in the first place. There will be no further need for me to attend this thread as you have now exposed it is petty tripe.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 14:35, Justin Style wrote:
I'm not a player hater, I'm a congratulator!
:righton: Smile

...and a copy cat.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I should leave this alone, but I 'm not going to. And with good reason. I believe there has been a huge misunderstanding and I want to go on record to make sure my intent is clear.

Everyone has their own opinions on everything and that is something I respect. It doesn't matter to me what you watch on TV or what you think of it. With respect to TV magic, be it Criss Angel, David Blaine, Derren Brown, David Copperfield, Mark Wilson, or the Masters of Illusion special, it just depends on what type of entertainment you enjoy. Some of us expect certain things from these events and that's fine.

I have never taken offense at anyone's opinion. But there is a tone, taken by some, that I see as wholly inappropriate. This is one of the only places where I can interact with other magicians and I would like it to be a nice place. I have never intentionally tried to make this an unpleasant experience for anyone. All I have intended with this thread was to speak out about something that I found unpleasant. And that is the unnecessary bashing of people.

It's one thing to say, "I don't like David Blaine anymore because I found out he used editing to create an effect that I thought he really did."

It's something else entirely to say "He's a ****in loser. His last special totally stank. Yeah, like anything he does is good or valid at all".

I hope you see the distinction.

So, just to absolutely clear. If you have a legitimate gripe, and give reason why you have something negative to say, (which every person who posted in this thread has done), then I have no problem with you. I value your opinion. I thought I had made myself clear but some of the posts made me think otherwise.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
It happens from time to time on forum sites T.S.
Some people just love to be confrontational (which I've never understood).
Many times if the same subject were being discussed face to face with the same people over a couple of drinks it would turn out entirely different! Such is the typewritten word and life on a forum site.

~gaffed~ Smile
~Yogi Berra~

MaxiL
View Profile
New user
Sweden
19 Posts

Profile of MaxiL
If you haven't seen the parody, you have to take a look. Great stuff ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL3dN4sXJfU

Episode 3 is especially good.

Love, Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why all the hating? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL