The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Alice In Wonderland 'Word test' (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Hi, just trying to jump-start my ailing memory. Lewis Carroll built in some kind of simple arithmetical 'word test' into the first few words of the Alice book, whereby you count letters, starting in a random place and somehow end up always on the same word. Used to know it, just can't QUITE recall the details now... Can anyone else help please?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think this is a universal method that can be used with many books. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You might be thinking of the Kruskal Principle.

I have seen it applied to Alice in Wonderland, and also many other books and documents.

In the May 1999 issue of GAMES Magazine, Martin Gardner published a trick using t......pendence. (Click on the highlighted text to try it yourself!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Alice In Wonderland 'Word test' (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL