The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Parlor show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hojeesum
View Profile
New user
Seattle
52 Posts

Profile of hojeesum
Hey Guys

I was recently asked to do a magic show for a event that a group of my friends are hosting. The thing is that I still feel as a rookie in the closup arena and I prefer cards alot more. So I was wondering what would be the best way to get into parlor magic? I was thinking of maybe getting the shock fx DVD.

Thanks!
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
If you are willing to spend the money, Jeff McBride's Magic on Stage DVD series could really help you in this area. The repetitiousness of some of the interludes gets annoying, but the material is worth that formatting drawback.

You do have adequate time to prepare for this show, right?
hojeesum
View Profile
New user
Seattle
52 Posts

Profile of hojeesum
Yeah I do. It's in about 6-7 weeks from today. It's just a bunch of friends, so even simple stuff would work as well. I'll be sure to check out the Jeff McBride DVD, thanks Paul.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Another thought: Do you have any of Scott Guinn's books? You could put together a very good parlor show using material from Magishing My Way and Great Scott: It's More Magic. If you don't already have these, you could justify the purchase for their close-up content, too.

Good luck!
robin_martin
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of robin_martin
jeff McBrides stage magic videos are great and have a variety of things that im sure you could use for you performance. get them quick though and start practising!
The secret of the mind is the secret of the self.
http://www.robin-martin.com/photorecall.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Parlor show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL