The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » a tough choice... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
At present I am moving into the exciting field of manipulation. I've gotten through Jeff McBride's videos and now I want to move away from cards. But here's the key question: which is better, thimbles or billiard balls. which do you guys rate more? Thanx for your help

Saxon
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Both are wonderful forms of manipulation. Billiard balls are easier to see from stage, but there are great deal of wonderful moves for thimbles that make them a lot of fun. Thimbles are considered a little old fashioned now, but I still use them in close-up situations.

Jeb
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
A agree with Jeb. There is a cartoon I once saw with two elderly men sitting in a theater box. One has a pair of opera glasses. The one without the glasses says, "What is he doing now?" The one with the opera glasses says, "I think he just produced another thimble."

I do believe there are "giant" thimbles that might work. You would have to try them out. There are multiplying items other than billiard balls and thimbles, you might look into those.

If you learn to handle the billiard balls, then you should be able to to handle other multiplying objects with more ease. Good luck.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Smile Smile Smile Smile I want to see that cartoon.

Saxon,
You may already do this, but if you're into manipulation, I'd like to suggest cards. They're very visual and play big. Also, there's a TON of different productions, vanishes, transpostiions etc. to be done with them. And of course they happen to be my favourite, though I'm working on pocket watches right now.

Jeb (Sable)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I have worked through the Jeff McBride card manipulation videos (I should have said!) so, yeah, I have been working with cards. It's just that while card manipulation may help with my walk around magic, I wanted something completely different, something which people hadn't really seen much of before. The world is so saturated with card magic, I just wanted to move away from all that. Jeb, like you, I think thimbles would be good for close up, as well as stage, so I'll look into them further. Thanks very much for your help.

Saxon
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Thimbles can be done in front of 300-500 persons depending on the light and seating arrangement. You won't have any trouble with angles if you use nesting thimbles.

Billiard balls are great fun to use but the shell is sensitive to angles, I solve it by producing 4 solid balls.

The question is where do you perform and how big is your audience?

Yours faithfully

:devilish: Dan Kirsch Smile
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I primarily do close up magic, so I have to say that at present I'm an enthusiast rather than a performer of manipulation. As a result, I don't have an average audience or performing area. Are these both important factors when putting together a stage act?

Saxon
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
Jeff McBrides world class manipukation series has both thimbles and billiard balls and also coins if you like that too Smile
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
If you are going to do stage work I would definitely concentrate on balls, because they are more visual.

Of course, coin manip. , especially "Miser's Dream" , is classic stage magic, because you can see the shiny coins from some distance away and you can hear the coins as they are dropped into a bucket or a glass.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I believe magic should stimulate as many senses as possible - touching a card when it's picked, seeing a card change visibly in front of them, and hearing the riffle of the deck and a magicians words. The more you stimulate the more you can fool, and miser's Dream sounds like the perfect stage act. I have Bobo, so I'll look at that neglected chapter right now! Thanx

Saxon
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I do both in my act and at the end of the billiard ball sequence i use a flash 4 production

Templemagic
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Phonic69,

It really depends on the style of your performance. If your a dominant escape artist/magician thimbles will look out of place. However I like both if I were you though I'd practise the Billiard balls first and really work on them for a good few months and then work on thimbles for a good few months. Then you can see which you prefer and which suit you best.

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » a tough choice... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL