The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of Nails (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I am currently constructing a bed of nails. Any tips, advice, stories, Cool things that can be done with the bed. I have been putting it off for a while now and finally just went to the hardware store.

Wish me luck.

Juliegel
Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
Feeling so much younger now....
158 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
Advice, Tips...
Nice job with the glasses. Stay with that for a bit longer, much safer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h88yAGuMp8E

If you really have it in your mind to do this, Read the sticky post from Harley and find a teacher.

Story...

I was showing the act ot my brother in law and before I even started to lay down he decided "this will be cool, I don't have a clue what I'm doing but it must be easy" and laid down. half a second after he started he jumpped up (as he calmly pulled his elbow 1/2 inch off the nail he had found. It nearly severed a major nerve in his elbow (think funny bone) and he was not laughing any more.

At some point you or someone else WILL get hurt - by the stuff you don't know you don't know...

Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Aw, don't spoil his fun! He'll get by the stuff he DOES know, too!

Search Bed of Nails, here on the Café. There are a lot of threads.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
For reference I am 17. I just don't want you thinking that I'm some 10 year old kid. I do look young in the video. I think it was the lighting.

Juliegel
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Does anyone have any good routines for this stunt they would like to share? Other then Harley's routine that is...

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
17yrs old ! Go get a proper job !!
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 05:30, Kondini wrote:
17yrs old ! Go get a proper job !!

With Ward Hall and Chris Christ!
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Real jobs make me sick. I see my friends get the life sucked out of them every day and I promised myself I would do what I love instead.

Juliegel
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
It is great that you have an interest, and don’t be offended 17, is still a little young to go at it alone. Most of us are twice + your age and many here have spent a lifetime performing in this art, myself not included. So it is important to learn, in person, from their experiences, subtleties and mistakes. Do not snap at those who have your best interest in mind.

I understand the science and nuances behind the bed of nails and, if I had any interest, I would not go at it alone without a professional working with me. It is great to read how to do something but it can only get you so far.

Escapes much like side show stunts do not carry a banner of always being safe. Even if you do it 50 times a day for the next 20 years, it only takes one time to screw a person up for life.

I have learned in person from some of our prolific historical escape elders. Anytime I create a new escape I try build in a number of fail safe, idiot proofs and a “Plan B” but still run it by some of my contemporaries. Why? Because it is an extra set of eyes. Someone with a fresh mind who has not been milling the idea over so much that they are going to over look the obvious. Every time I go to someone they are very helpful coming up with something I over looked.

May here have had mentors and others have done it alone and I doubt there is one person here who has not had a major boo-boo. Even doing the spring trap, 1 time out of 30 I hit it wrong and end up in a world of hurt and it is one of the simplest stunts to perform.

Many pros are not being secretive but they do not want to say something that can be read on a public forum that ultimately will hurt someone. Right now there is a post in the All Tied Up section where a life threatening situation could be involved. One will notice that there is not a one of the usual pros that responded there, we don’t want that person’s death on our heads or the death of some looky loo that surfs in.

A situation once happened to The Amazing Randi where he tired in vein to talk a kid out of doing an escape when he realized it was a useless quest he made suggestions on how to be as safe as possible. The kids still died while practicing. The kids parents did not blame Randi but I believe it still weighs heavy on his heart and mind.

These guy are not here to put you down or keep you out, they are here to warn from experience. Learn from what they have to say and take it to heart, it could save your life.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"These guys are not here to put you down or keep you out, they are here to warn from experience. Learn from what they have to say and take it to heart, it could save your life."

Just in case you didn't make it to the bottom of x-treem's post.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I was surprised at my long windedness as well Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Not at all. It was excellent. Kondini was long winded.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well I was thinking that as I was decoding kens words - shoot this is long for him and bleeding eloquent as well! He must have been to charm school!
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 09:22, Juliegel wrote:
Real jobs make me sick. I see my friends get the life sucked out of them every day and I promised myself I would do what I love instead.

Juliegel

At 17 I was looking for a job with a circus, but nobody would take me because of my age. I couldn't be insured until I was 18. If you are going to be 18 anytime soon, my suggestion about Hall and Christ is real. They are professional sideshow operators of many years, will train you in the acts and the business, and are looking for people for next season. I have a 'real job' (artist is a real job) and while my life isn't being sucked out or anything, I agree, as far as I can tell you have one run at life and you should try to do what you love. Just don't get killed or maimed in the pursuit of your bliss, learn the dangerous things from the pros, seriously.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Uless of course you get your bliss by being maimed, hurt or killed.......

If I was in a position where I could take that job wth Christ and Hall I woudl take it to learn from the pros - a pursute that is well worth doing - I have learny a lot from Ken Dean just by watching (not stunts of course although he is a cunning stunt) but performance tips etc.

Listen to the advice "kid" and you will get there in teh end - don't be all in a rush that's how you gona get hurt
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I was lucky to find and bother a mentor until he decided to teach me something, at a VERY young age. I had to really win the guy over to learn anything. It takes time, patience and a really true love of the art.

Finding a "pro" to teach you IS the only way. I've been very fortunate to learn from some of the best. Including Ward Hall and Chris Christ (pronounced 'krist').

Check out a website called http://www.sideshowworld.com , there is tons of history there. Soak it all up.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Regular user
Feeling so much younger now....
158 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
And you really can trust Brett, he is not only one of the professionals, he is one of your peers. He sees things from where you are and gives the same sound advice we all give... for the same reasons.

Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yep Brett is great and a baby as well! If he can win over a crows in Coventry it is not surprising he will go a long way (mainly to get out of Coventry but hey!)
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Brett is so amazing, his urine has been know to cure cancer.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And he has feet at the end of his legs!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of Nails (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL