The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Slush Powder 3 Cup Monte (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Hey All

I have noticed when I use this peice in my show the surprise ending has already set in after the second cup. MEANING: After I pour water into one cup, mix them up, and then take one cup at a time and show it empty after the second cup I have heard some kids in the audience say (the third cup is empty)

It kinda ruins the surprise.

Is there an alternative way of doing this so that the surprise factor isn't lost?

Thanks
Chaz
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Scott Alexander's Midnight Show DVD has a water monte routine with a great ending. The DVD is most famous for his no risk broken bottle smash-and-stab style effect. It's not necessarily a kidshow performer DVD, though a couple things on it could be usable.

Basically there is a cup you put out front that is empty at the start of the routine, never touched throughout, and at the end of a routine, you pour water out of it after showing the 3 monte cups empty. That's the effect. I won't print the method here. Not mine to give away.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Mix the cups more and more with each phase of the routine. by the final time, your spectators will actually be paying less attention. Done right, no one is really sure where the water is at this last run-through, when you actually pick up the cup the kids want, AND tip it on your head. So, it allows the farce to continue.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I used to perform this trick at family shows. What I discovered after performing it for some time was that it worked best when I committed to the idea that the cup had water (I "poured" the water over a kid's head).

When the third cup remained on the table, I would make a big deal about how there was only one cup left. The kid would start to squirm, which would add to the excitement. When I picked up the cup, I tried to mime weight in it and briefly "swirled" the imaginary water in preparation of the "pour" on the kid.

These small "convincers" helped to minimize negative comments and intrusions.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Hey thanks guys for the advice.....I tride the swirling of water, mixing the cups more, and nothing was said....but they were a generous audience maybe?

Thanks for the Advice
Chaz
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 18:30, Wayne Kawamoto wrote:
I used to perform this trick at family shows. What I discovered after performing it for some time was that it worked best when I committed to the idea that the cup had water (I "poured" the water over a kid's head).

When the third cup remained on the table, I would make a big deal about how there was only one cup left. The kid would start to squirm, which would add to the excitement. When I picked up the cup, I tried to mime weight in it and briefly "swirled" the imaginary water in preparation of the "pour" on the kid.

These small "convincers" helped to minimize negative comments and intrusions.

-Wayne

Wayne -- You're absolutely right here. I've only performed this a handful of times, but I've found that the theater and comedy of the situation is improved if the audience and the spectators can follow, and "know", which cup has the water.

The little convincers you mention, in addition to slowly mixing the cups so everyone can follow, keeps the focus (imho) on the cup with the water in it and bolsters the surprise. I try to use a father/son with this, and use a poncho for the father (who gets the cups turned over on his head) to further signal that he's going to get "wet".
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 16:51, Lyndel wrote:
Use the Walle method.

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=7382400520&

:)

Lyndel

That is great............ Acting lessons from a robot, sweet

This shows what's wrong with most magic shows (mine too). " I can do this..... I can do that...... but why?......no reason? ....... who cares!"
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
So change your magic show!
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Try the Alexander method . . . It's different and surprising.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
My 2 cents...with a suprise ending.
I do this with red, blue & yellow cups. Really gets the groans & laughter when I start mixing the cups, it's so easy to keep track of the water.

All cups are shown to be empty. Water goes in yellow cup. After mixing they find the water, and, as proof, the water is poured from the yellow to the blue, but the water has turned green. After the second mixing I turn over the yellow to show it empty, then the blue, and from the red I pull out a large green ball! (there's your surprise ending)

It is my favorite routine and has been in my show for years. If you want my handling instructions and methods, PM me and we will work out a compensation arrangement.

Wes Holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Hey Wes

Nice site! I already have my own routining for the trick, but truely like your idea as well. Thanks for the offer!

Chaz
dtrickys
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dtrickys
What is the funny routine can do with slush for kids party ?
Have any dvd ?
lippy
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
57 Posts

Profile of lippy
The best 3 cup monte I've ever seen is Gary Dunn's, found on his DVD. Genius!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2022, lippy wrote:
The best 3 cup monte I've ever seen is Gary Dunn's, found on his DVD. Genius!

Agreed, "Watch your water...."
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I love his routine too gary dunns stuff is amazing but I think the whole theme of the 3 cup monte by gary is pretty ballsy to do in todays society? any thoughts ? I think it all depends on persons personality
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Anyone know where to get a good slush powder in a large quantity?
dtrickys
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dtrickys
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2022, KC Cameron wrote:
Anyone know where to get a good slush powder in a large quantity?

I know place that can send you . Pm me
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
You can buy it by the pound on Amazon or science supply companies. Buy it with the chemical name Sodium polyacrylate, not by "slush powder" from magic shops, and you'll get a much better price.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Slush Powder 3 Cup Monte (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL