The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ode to George Sands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I absolutely defy Tabary, Sanders, Pei, and a host of others to even try to do their rope effects without the techniques of George Sands. Yet, there is little mention of George in the manuscripts. Oh, the occasional professional will make a comment when reviewing the effects, but is that good enough.
Without certain moves, the meat of the routines might be a flashy technique of throwing the rope instead of passing the rope. So, acrobatics seems to thrill the new rope buyers. Kind of like roller skates vrs. roller blades, it is a step up and modern. But, how could those routines get from point a to b without George Sands moves.
I only defend and protect because the "moves" are still perpetuated by Georges Son Allan. To me, including "Sands" in a performance is the right of every perfomer who has studied the simple techniques. "Teaching" and selling Sands moves in a DVD is not a "right". There is a copyright, and if not, a moral imperative of siting credit and origin.
When I lecture on rope, I mention Sands, Corneleus, and Garcia if I hold the rope in the pattern and move that they created, and say, this handling is "by Corneleus".
Then I preface and make the distinction that the rest of the technique is mine.
I haven't heard this from the new crop of DVD authors, not even in the credits.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the variations and deviations of the new routines but, I look at it in percentages. 75% of one of the DVD's I recently watched was "other peoples work".
The modern buyer does not know this, and attributes the marvelous "wow" moves to the new DVD author and since it is new to them or they are "new on the planet", they shell out $35 to $100 a pop for rehashed work.
Allan Sands, has compiled his father's work in several volumes of books and DVD's. Allan is not the promoter that Sanders, and Tabary and the shops that sell the work are. Allan Sands has a lecture where you can see the original Sandsational ropes and the origins and derivations of the "modern" rope workers.
George Sands was before DVD's, and his manuscripts of the routines were BC (before computers), and before typesetting was cheap. The lines drawings and underwood typewriter his lecture material was produced on was state of the art in his day. The restored Allan Sands books and DVD's are modern and well produced.
Sands was not only a rope man, he did a lot of mentalism. His rope is sometimes within the mix of other effects and therein lies the problem, extricating the rope from the cards and mentalism.
Allan has DVD's of the three George Sands rope effects that were famous. It is in book or DVD form. Note: I do not get commissions or am not affiliated with Allan.
http://www.alansands.com/store/sandsrope.html
George was old school, Coney Island type performer also reknowned as a self-help hypnotist. There is an old video clip on the Sands site and youtube, where he is virtually shouting the patter due to his deafness, but also due to his working without a microphone for years.
When you go to the site, look for Sandsational Ropes, and Ropesational (I believe "sandslide is in there as well).

Click here to view attached image.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I fondly recall attending a George Sands lecture many years ago. In addition to his highly celebrated "Ropesational Rope" and "Sandsational Rope" routines (which I purchased and performed for many years), he performed and tipped several other wonderful and original routines as well.

He was quite a character--the "Professor Irwin Corey" of magic. Thanks for reminding us of his legacy.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
AMEN

There is one move that only George Sands does, and for the life of me I can't figure out why no else has copied it. This fantastic move is part of my own personal rope routine, and I'm not talking.

Anyone who is curious about the work of George Sands should contact Alan Sands who sells all of his fathers fantastic moves.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-12-13 08:49, Al Angello wrote:
AMEN

There is one move that only George Sands does, and for the life of me I can't figure out why no else has coppied it. This fantasitc move is part of my own personal rope routine, and I'm not talking.

Anyone who is curious about the work of George Sands should contact Alan Sands who sells all of his fathers fantastic moves.

Aside from the "no scissors move", I do the "Houdini handcuffs", the hopping rope ends, the no-middle patter, the rope with no ends, so Al, ya gotta PM me with the move that no-one has copied? Or when you say, "copied", you mean included in their own work?

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 9:36am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The one effect that I do all of the time, is Sands "Do as I do" card effect. I can be anywhere in the world and grab up to 12 people and have them all hold four cards and try to do as I do. It works at magic conventions and public parties as well.
I wish Allen would publish this on it's own because it is only available in the original Sands lecture notes or in one of the bigger volumed books that Allan Sands sells.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
I PMed you.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 5:17pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK George Sands, Ian, and I do it.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-12-13 17:17, Al Angello wrote:

Been doing that since I saw George do it in 74' or 77', my first lecture I ever saw was Sands in Poughkeepsie Al Baker SAM assembly #35. Did you really think I didn't know the move? LOL! He called it the Houdini rope hand cuffs.
Now, from that move you could "wing it" and do the Garcia loop, or even go into a few Fiber optic acrobatics. And, as I've said before, Sanders moves are in Sands manuscripts. The only difference is Sanders lets go in mid-air where-as Sands retains the grip.
Kinda funny, Sands/Sanders. Houdin/Houdini?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
I have a large rope magic library, both in books and DVD's but with the exception of George Sands and you I have never seen that move done before.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Love this thread! I totally agree with Ian here. Frankly, I believe that anyone “into” rope magic ought to have all of George Sands’ work in their collection. I also agree that Mr. Sands’ work should more directly and completely credited when being lifted…er…used and sold by others.

Like Ian and Al I've looked at almost every new "innovation" in rope magic since seeing a George Sands Lecture in the early 70's. I still do most of the Sands' stuff and have felt that little of the improvements or updates were in fact improvements or updates.

I think I do the bit that Al mentions. If it is what I think then I learned it by a different name (Figure Eight...).

Now Ian has me looking for a dang card trick!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I had an unusual magic beginning. My wife bought me a TV magic set when I was 24, 6 months later, I opened a magic shop. 2 years later I started lecturing across the country on magic.
The first lecture I attended was by George Sands, and I absorbed his lecture learning every nuance of every move. He inspired me to write my first rope pamphlet that same year.

I bought Sands pamphlets to resell in my shop and gave lessons when I sold it.
I have done that routine and parts of the entire routine since then.
That's why I am highly critical of anyone who even holds their fingers like Sands. When Tabary allows the ends of the ropes to travel from one hand to the other, or when Sanders does his moves, I cringe.
My own DVD work rope would be greatly enhanced if I "stole" Sands techniques and merely added to it. My own work would then be enhanced but unworthy of the term "original". that's why I am so critical of some of the very popular rope workers, and it is in defense of Sands and critical of their plundering.
My first comment at the top of this thread is where I stand.
-------
Anyway, I am also surprised that no-one else has used that little segment from Sands. It was published and I find it effective whenever I perform it.
Magicians like you and I know the beauty of Sands moves is that they can be interspersed into any rope routine. You can do PN, c&R and use Sands moves to bridge those together. You can do some Sanders acrobatics, or Tabary or throw in a Garcia or Slydini and have a rope routine with an impact.
Other heroes of rope magic: Dick Gustavson, John Corneleus, Ted Collins, Garcia, Slydini, Phil Wilmarth, and Eric Lewis.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
The first rope trick that I learned from Sweet Pea the clown was C&R. After doing it for a while I stoped doing C&R because it was so simple to do. I then met Dick Gustavson, and Jimmy Ray who showed me just how impressive this trick was to an audience. Dick taught me the tripple pop knot finish, and Jimmy taught me that a good magician could do C&R all day long (much like you), and both of these men are friends of mine today.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-12-13 17:17, Al Angello wrote:

..and Harry Murphy.
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Sands gained a wider popularity through Daryl's rope routine (when it was released with a poster in the pre-DVD days). Daryl always gave full credit in his lectures, but many just looked at the moves (and forgot about remembering/noting the credits).

In today's modern era, the ease of DVD production means that many think it's sufficient to just credit the DVD that they saw the move on. The magic fraternity lacks a move registry or approval system. As far as I know, only Peter Kane asked Alex Elmsley if he could publish his Ghost Count in a marketed trick.

This isn't a problem confined to rope tricks (or George Sands).
Harold Cataquet
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I had the priviledge of sitting down once with George and talking "Rope Magic" for about an hour once during one of his rare appearances at one of the Abbott's Get-Togethers.

What a great guy. And what a wealth of practical, hands-on knowledge George had about performing Rope Magic for civilians.

I now have an autographed copy of Rope Sational that I treasure.

Honestly, Rope Magic just wouldn't be the same without George's contributions to the art.

Last year at Abbott's, Pavel was a headliner and did closeup and, I believe, a lecture. I had dinner with him one night and picked his brains, too, regarding Rope Magic.

I gotta tell ya, I think I've got more practical "real stuff" over the years from sitting and talking with living legends like these guys during my annual visits to Abbott's than just about anything......tricks, books, you name it.

For what it's worth, I remember meeting Stewart James while at the American Museum of Magicone day in Maarshall, Michigan, then the next day he did his Sefalalja lecture at Abbott's.....WOW! Talk about seeing and meeting living legends of magic performing classics of magic...

The cumulative effect of getting to meet these guys, seeing them perfom and picking their brains is one of the reasons I try to NEVER miss going to an Abbott's Get-Together.

I would highly recommend that every serious magician, young or old, make the pilgrimage to Colon at least once in their lifetime.........there is no other place in the world like it.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
I agree whole heartedly with Rainboguy. The Abbott Magic Get-Together is one of those MUST attend events. I have been going since 1969 and will continue going until someone buries me. Hopefully that will be in the distant future and after I am dead.

Indeed George Sands was one of the great rope magic creators. I met him on a number of occasions and found him not only very helpful but very approachable as well.

On a side note, did you know that George Sands also wrote a balloon book and that he was quite the practical joker?

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
Michigan Magic Day 2009
http://www.MichiganMagicDay2009.com

PS: This topic reminds me of an old Seminole proverb. It goes something like this; "A land without history is like a tree without roots - it does not grow and is destined to topple."

Crediting in magic is much the same. It is, or should be, a part of our history. Crediting while performing for the general public is not necessary; however, during lectures, in books, DVD's, etcetera it should be a MUST! In all of my books I credit and if I don't know where something came from I ask. There are plenty of people out there who would be happy to help with crediting. All you need do is ask.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Antony Gerard:

I get to see you every year at Abbott's and you're one of the all-time nice guys I see there every year.

It's always good talking magic with you. Getting back to Colon every August is so much fun; and why I believe that Abbott's and Colon are truly a part of Magic History for those who love the art of Magic.

George Sands, Stewart James, Harry Blackstone, Jr. Marshall Brodien, Jay Marshall, George Johnstone, Pavel, John Calvert, Duke Stern, Ab Dickson, Warren Stephens, George Schindler, Lance Burton, Karrell Fox, Johnny Thompson, Ali Bongo, Rich Block, Tom Mullica, Neil Foster, and the list of magicians just goes on and on and on, doesn't it?.....

Hmmmmmm....

On second thought....maybe the Café should have a "Tell us Your Favorite Abbott's story!" thread......
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I had the good fortune of seeing George perform in LA over a decade ago. His health was failing, and it was one of his last performances, but you never would have known that when he got on stage. He did the rope routine with the patter about doing the ending first for those who had to leave early and the beginning last for the late arrivers, etc. It was hysterical!

I know that Aldo Colombini, as well as Daryl, heavily credits George in his rope routine manuscripts.

And when you think about it, how often do you hear Bob McCarver credited for Professor's Nightmare? Or Edward Victor for Spellbound?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Bob McCarver? I have him credited for the Professor's Nightmare, but as Bob Carver. Do you know something about him I don't? Like his dates, or other inventions? My biography on him is pretty sparse: http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioCDE.htm

I think I got Edward Victor correct, however:
http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioTUV.htm

On the other hand, I don't even have George Sands listed at all! I'll get working on his bio right away. Help, anyone?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Delightful rendition of Sandsational rope
http://streetofcards.tv/view/242/sansati......by-fitz/
Notice the absence of the "d" in the title, and thusly the derivation becomes lost.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Nice one Ian.

I think that he worked a bit too fast for his audience to follow him.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
We look forward to having Ian here lecture during magic week. Honored indeed to have one of the cleverest minds in magic grace our lecture stage. We welcome him, Al Angelo, Bob Sanders, Troy Hooser and for the first time in many decades.....a reunion of the Abbott family here at FAB...You can't miss this event!
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ode to George Sands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL