The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for a Boing!!!! Noisemaker - or similar.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Looking for something like a fart machine, only one that makes joke noises... you know... like springs going off, the sound of a window being smashed, perhaps a car horn, etc.??
Can anyone guide to anywhere to make one? I'm ok with electronics...circuit diagram and parts list, anyone? But better still - a complete unit with a remote.

The sort of noises that would appeal to kids....

Thanks!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
DCB,
I am actually working on a system that creates Classic Cartoon Sound Effects very similar to the unit installed in the flea.
Unfortunately, they are very expensive to make properly and will be a bit bulky so they may be best installed in a prop or located at your lower back area. I have designed a "Tuck In" panel, for the lower back, to allow easy attaching/removal etc.
The size has yet to be determined as I am working out the details.
This is a very loud system with Volume Control, etc. and will have a rechargeable battery system as well.
I will keep you folks posted.
Thanks
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Chance,

Thanks for that.. best I've come up with yet is a CD of assorted noises - I could edit these onto my Ipod.. but the selection and timing is the problem. I have a remote for the ipod, and I'm thinking along these lines right now (played through the PA system).

Regards,

DCB
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Chance, I'm delighted that you're taking that project forward. The sound effects for The Flea are fantastic! I'll be first in line for one of your SFX units. Can I suggest that there be some way of downloading sound effects, so that it can be customised to a particular performer/performance?
Doug
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know the volume may not be enough but what about using the sound effect keychains. If it is held by a mike, it should pick it up. They have a variety of sounds in them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
I was looking for a remote ringing noise for Xmas for Santa to call me half way through the show!
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
The Awesome One
View Profile
Regular user
Gold Coast, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of The Awesome One
The http://www.freesound.org website is great for finding various sound effects that are free to use.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I've been shopping at toy stores for a long time and have a drawer full of almost every kind of noise machine you could imagine.

I have one the makes a LOUD rim shot for some of my jokes.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There used to be a gag called Phoney Ring that was a ringing device with a fake phone. You might find on on ebay or someplace. This was 25 years ago. With Cell phones, people accept almost anything for a ringtone.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Are you looking for something you will actually wear on your person in a walk around type situation or something to hook up to your PA system?

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
For a good boing sound, I took the electronic sound maker out of a cheap stuffed rabbit I found at Easter time at a drug store. It had a motion activated switch that was easy enough to replace with a push button. I'd wager you could hook it up to a fart machine without too much difficulty so that it could be activated remotely.
I've also seen bouncy balls with a boing boing sound maker inside that you could use as well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have two small sound generators ..one is more modern music (about 5 buttons plus a small microphone)

The other contains the boing boing sound, along with buttons for head rattle, alarm clock, explosion, zipper and maybe one more.

Got the first at a garage sale..2nd and third on ebay...can't recall the name of the "toy"...

It is about the size of an 6 ounce can of vegetables...It telescopes open with a small speaker on the bottom...(anyone remember what they are called)

I believe they take 3 AAA batteries...(one of the best presents I got a few years ago was a battery recharger..)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I had a remote control fart machine. I had it in my car for some reason. I think my son put it in the car to play with. Anyway...

When I pulled up to pay the toll booth at the bay bridge in SF it started going off and farting random farts every 2 seconds. It must have been on the same "frequency" as the Fast-Pass detector.

I'm sure the toll booth lady was very impressed with me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Danny,

it doesn't need to be remote - I want it to co-incide with a flash and a big puff of smoke - so I could operate the whole thing with a foot switch. The flash is generated via flash wool and flash powder, and the smoke - I'm going to try smoke pellets. I've picked up an kit at Maplins (Radio Shack type of place) that will give me fire engine, machine gun, police siren noises etc.. so I'll give that a try. It only has a tiny piezo speaker, but I should be able to hook that up to the PA.
But... I'd really like to find the "BOingggggg" noise - it's by far the funniest - and it's for kids...

Thanks for all the help so far..

Frank.. as a point of interest , this same effect involves the sponge food, discussed previously..!!

Regards,

DCB
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
If you are hooking it up to a PA why not just buy an iCue and a CD full of sound effects? That's what I do, it's the easiest thing in the world and after you nickle and dime yourself half to death (I am assuming because I also do this with projects all the time! Smile) You will probably have spent as much money as an iCue and an ipod cost.

This is how all the pros are doing it and it is seamless.

Remote control sound is just a click away:
http://virtualsoundman.com/

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Danny.. I think your suggestion regarding the Icue is great - perhaps when I have more need, or need to use more effects that will be a consideration.
Right now though - I'm just looking for a quick "boiinnnngg!!" as part of an effect I'm knocking together.

Regards,

DCB
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I am also looking for a sound effects 'machine'. The problem with using the ICue or similar device is that I want the sound effects to be more random and 'event' based during my show. I think what you are looking for is called a 'sampler'. It is a device that can record sounds (or be loaded) and then play each one back at a touch of a keypad. I am looking for one that can be remote controlled, but have not found it yet. The smallest one that I have found looks about as big as a large TV remote.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've knocked up the little soundboard, and I have to say, it's pretty good. OK - it doesn't have the exact noise I'm looking for, but for trial purposes , it'll work fine, through the PA. It's pretty loud for a crowd of around 20 kids, but the PA will be required for impact with more than 20 kids..
The effect it's required for is the O.O.O.P.S Machine by Jim Gerrish. I can see there's a lot of potential for noise, smoke, flash effects, along with a bit of fire - stuff that kids of ANY age love. I'm looking forward to performing this... check it out!

Regards,

DCB
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
Check out http://www.thinkgeek.com They have a shirt that will do 20 different sounds with a remote and you can change the sounds with the help of a couple of other things. The shirt is about $40 dollars, I've ordered one. It's called "Personal Soundtrack Shirt."

Jerry
Jerry Smile
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
That looks like a great idea! One problem I can foresee - if that's an ordinary magnetic type speaker, it would be heavy..and "hang forward".. but at the price, it's likely to be a smallish piezzo typ, which woould work well.

I'll be interested to hear hwo it works out! It DOES sound pretty novel!

Regards,

DCB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for a Boing!!!! Noisemaker - or similar.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL