The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Ever happen to anybody else? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Here's my story..almost 20 years ago, while visiting the local magic shop and talking with the OLD guy who owned it (a friend of mine), I noticed a soft-sided suitcase over in the corner, propped open and full of "junk". I asked Louis what it was and he said he'd just entertained at a kid's birthday party. I rummaged through (with his permission) and found this incredible looking mahogany die box with an alphabet block. Big thing, too. I asked if it was for sale, and, since everything has a price, Louis said gruffly "$75". I think he figured that was too high and I wouldn't pay for it. He'd probably owned it since it was new (about 1940), and it was probably $15 new, so he didn't know. I bought it and brought it home to my display case where it sat for about 13 years. I eventually got on a selling binge and sold it for $150 to somebody FAR AWAY from here.

Forward about 12 years. A while back (few months) I saw what I thought was this same diebox on ebay coming from Mario Carrandi. Well, I couldn't bid on it because I once complained about Mario's shipping and he banned me for life. Now, this past Monday, I got an emailed list of used magic for sale from a friend. There was a mahogany National Magic diebox listed for $65. Instantly emailed and bought it. Got it today, and...guess what...that's right, it's the same box. It's probably been all over the U.S. by now.

That's all, just had to tell my story, and didn't know if this same thing has ever happened to anybody else who buys and sells magic.

Steve
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Great story. Gives closure/circularity to the magic collecting biz. . . Not to mention it shows that there are a few cases where you can actually make $$ on selling (hardly ever happens, although compared to Wall Street these days, collecting magic may be a great investment - if you're smart you can get by losing only 30 percent or so . . .).
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1808 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Hi Steve,
Just curious, how were you able to be certain it was the SAME box ?("Secret Markings??")
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Got it, and it is INDEED the exact same box. Even the same photocopied pages from the National Magic catalog which I included when I sold it!

Steve
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1808 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Just goes to show you ;
" What Goes Around, Comes Around "
Weird huh ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Ever happen to anybody else? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL