We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » EBay changed it's rules??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It's been while since I bid and won on eBay, but I was looking tonight, and saw this: Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers are not allowed for most eBay purchases.

What gives? No more money orders on eBay?

Used to be I could win an item and send a money order and I was all set. No problem, and I was always prompt and had an excellent rating. Last I checked it's legal money. Now they have killed money orders? Am I understanding this correctly?

Idiots.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
It depends on the seller, they choose which payment option they prefer. Some sellers still take checks and money orders, most prefer PayPal now.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I copied this from eBay:

Most sellers accept PayPal because it transfers funds immediately and they don’t have to wait for funds to clear before shipping your item.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 23:02, agent61 wrote:
I copied this from Ebay:

Most sellers accept PayPal because it transfers funds immediately and they don’t have to wait for funds to clear before shipping your item.

That's a convenient little spin.

Unless they've sold it, and I didn't hear, eBay owns Paypal. It's in their best interest to push it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ahhhh! The truth comes out!

Yes, I had thought it was the sellers option, (Used to be) but when I was looking at chessboards, I went through page after page and couldn't find one place where they would take a good ol' money order. Then I found the "Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers are not allowed for most eBay purchases." part.

I had tried to get a Paypal account at one time, but they screwed it up and attempt after attempt on my part never did get it fixed. So I tried opening up a second new account, and they kept insisting I was the first guy, and had to use that account so I said, screw 'em. Not worth my trouble. I'm sticking with money orders.

If I can't get Paypal, it's my only real option.
Hey it's real money! It spends! That's why it miffs me when certain people will do nothing but Paypal. Geeeeeesh. Give me a break. Throw me a frickin' bone, for Pete's sake.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2451 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Ebay advised me (while posting my new listings) that sellers will no longer be allowed to accept checks, money orders and wire transfers (except in a very few categories).

As a longtime seller, I have no problem with that and here is why: I sell hundreds of items a year, and last year I received maybe six checks and money orders. Big deal. And every yearb there were several "sales" where the buyer opted to send a check, but "forgot" and needed to be reminded (usually more than once).

Paypal is every bit as much a gateway for accepting credit cards from non-Paypal-members as it is a pay-through-your-member-account system. You DO NOT NEED A PAYPAL ACCOUNT to pay with your credit card via Paypal. I have never had a single problem with them, though I do understand that glitches in any system are inevitable and glitches taking place in the online world are often very tenacious. I have experienced nothing but courtesy and cooperation when dealing with their customer service (though I do go straight to the phone for support on the rare occasion that I need it, and the phone # can be hard to find).

And I don't think anyone but scammers laments the lockdown on wire transfers - that's just a big ol' can of worms.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I've only used wire transfers to sell shares of my stock (which I shouldn't do, but do anyway!) But I've never had any problems with it. (It's wait 10 to 14 days for a check to be mailed to me or get the money wired into my account withing 4 days, which do you think I'M going to choose?)

Money Orders don't have to clear, that's the great thing about money orders. God! This is giving me a flashback of the days when I would gather up my money, get a money order at the post office and send off an order to Vic Lawson!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I used to do all my eBay business by money order. My reputation was strong, since when I won an auction, I would mail the money order on the next business day. I don't like Paypal. Simply because when things go wrong, I am totally dependent on them to help me make it right. I had all kinds of grief trying to sign up with Paypal, and I lost out on an auction I won because of it (the seller was very understanding thankfully)

Note to eBay... bring back the good old money order please.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
I think that eBay is using its 800 pound gorilla status to extort every last cent they can out of a transaction. While it certainly within their rights to do so (nobody is forced to use eBay), it won't take much for another auction site to reach critical mass and leave them behind.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bingo.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think paypal is brilliant, and fortunately have had no problems with it.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Personally, I haven't had any trouble with Paypal either. However, the issue that I see is that eBay is deciding what the sellers can accept as payment, and it just so happens that they own the one type of payment that is acceptable.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 13:11, Cliffg37 wrote:
I used to do all my eBay business by money order. My reputation was strong, since when I won an auction, I would mail the money order on the next business day. I don't like Paypal. Simply because when things go wrong, I am totally dependent on them to help me make it right. I had all kinds of grief trying to sign up with Paypal, and I lost out on an auction I won because of it (the seller was very understanding thankfully)

Note to eBay... bring back the good old money order please.

That's what I'm saying. I did the same thing. If I won an auction, I was down to the drugstore in ten minutes, and had that baby in the mail the SAME DAY. My buyer reputation on e-bay was second to none.

Now they started this dictating to sellers what type of payment money they can accept crap, where they are now too big for their own proverbial britches, in my humble opinion.

Well, they don't want or need my business, fine. No skin off my back. F** 'em. it's gonna be a cold day in H when these pinheads can dictate to me what kind of money I can and can't use. Ebay has now become Big brother.

I'll laugh when they fall.
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
I saw EBay gift card at Walmart were I live.I thought that was interesting.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
WalMart is selling gift cards from LOTS of different businesses. I thought that was a rather brilliant marketing plan. It's like the Hell's Angels at Denny's. They are going to have their fork in everybody's dinner.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 20:55, Matt Watts wrote:
I saw EBay gift card at Walmart were I live.I thought that was interesting.

One can also buy Walmart gift cards on EBay!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I have received several bogus Money orders. They are NOT like cash! You still have to wait until they clear.
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I once recieved a money order for an ebay auction made out to the person who sent it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm sorry, what is with the derogitory statement about the Hells Angels? They are a fine group of motorcycle enthusiasts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » EBay changed it's rules??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL