The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cardboard sheets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Hi, does anyone have any sources, maybe nation wide local places, to get 6 foot tall sheets of cardboard, or any other affordable source to make up some panel illusions?

I do not discount that well painted cardboard can last a long time and be just as effective. That is, that the Grant Victory Carton illusions can still be used by a pro.

Since I do not have time to wait for someone to buy new appliance, I was wondering what is out there.
I need about 2.5'-3' wide by 6'.

I am open to other materials that would be durable, paintable and light weight.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1358 Posts

Profile of reedrc
I think Uline does. http://www.uline.com
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3411 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
http://www.uline.com/BL_1851/Corrugated-Pads-Large to be exact! But I think the minimum purchase quantity is a bundle of 50.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2903 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Local packaging-supply companies often sell these, but you may need a minimum quantity.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There is no big retail outlet near you?? They usually have lots of boxes left from the floor models, and they do not use them again to reship. Foam core is also a great substitute for cardboard and not too expensive.

Take care.

Blair
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
We have used coroplast with great success in creating some illusions. This is the corrugated plastic (very similar to cardboard) that many smaller signs are made out of. It has great durability and comes in a variety of colours. We buy it by 4' x 8' sheets.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

That's what I was referring to also. It is great!

Blair
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Actually, Blair, Coroplast and foam core are very different substrates, both used in the signage industry.

Foam core is what its name implies; a core of styrene foam with a paper covering. "Gatorboard" has a harder, clay-coated surface and tends to be more rigid and less prone to bowing than "regular" foam core. It is also a bit harder to cut smoothly, which is best done on a table saw with a veneer blade.

Coroplast is an extruded plastic sheet that is similar to corrugated cardboard in that it is "fluted". It is relatively lightweight and surprisingly durable, although not indestructible.

Depending on the needs and longevity of the illusion, I would be inclined to recommend the Coroplast for greater durability, and unlike foam core, it is not susceptible to moisture.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
O.K., guys, here it is. I found this a couple of months ago, and it ROCKS. You can get on their website, and they will send you samples. There you have it. I hope this helps. http://www.alcancompositesusa.com Good Luck, Mike
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Thanks for the input so far. The alcan products do seem interesting.

Well I was really asking for ideas for local searches not mail order since these sizes might really be an issue for shipping costs. I could be wrong but I would assume it is considered oversized.

Problem with places around me with appliances is that they destroy the boxes if the customer wants the box removed. I would have to have have a guy on the inside to hold such things which currently I do not.

Is not plastic cardboard hard to get paint to stick long run? Theu used to sell sheets in Staples but no longer. Not sure where to look LOCAL for plastic cardboard. Any suggestions? I am not looking to buy 50 sheets of ANYTHING at the momment. For now I could use the white plastic for this project so would enjoy finding a source within driving distance.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Frank,

Thanks for the clarification, I always thought they were the same!

Blair
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Blair-
The only reason I know any of this is because up until a few years ago I worked in a wide-format graphics house, and used these substrates daily! I'm glad to be out of the industry, but the knowledge does come in handy occasionally!

Powermagic-
The Alcan products are great! Their two other substrates that have not been previously discussed here are Sintra which is an expanded PCV plastic board. It tends to be a bit heavy for its size, but it's great stuff. It's available in many colors and thicknesses. It doesn't always accept certain adhesives though, so any decals or paints would have to be tested.

The other is Dibond, which is a plastic-cored board with aluminum facings on it. Kind of like foamcore on steroids. Big steroids. It's available in several finishes and thicknesses. You can create some great boxes by cutting a small channel in the face of the inside of the cut and then bending the corner. It can also be drilled and riveted. Again, it's a little heavy, but not inordinately so, and it looks great. Some care would be needed to preserve the finish, but it oughtn't be too tough.

Local suppliers for large sheets of cardboard are tough to come by. I happen to be fortunate to live near the city where Montana Container Corporation is located. I used to be able to get 5' x 6' sheets of corrugated cardboard locally, even though they were never too thrilled about selling raw stock, especially in small quantities. My suggestion would be to check with your local sign making shops to see about getting coroplast. It is commonly stocked in 4' x 8' sheets, and they would probably be willing to order full sheets of colors that they don't stock.

As far as paint sticking to coroplast, I think it's going to depend on several factors. How much flexing will the panel be subjected to? How much "abuse" will it receive?

The best thing to do is to thoroughly clean a plastic surface with alcohol to remove any residual grease from the manufacturing process, then paint the surface. It ought to be compatible with regular latex or oil-based paints. There are also paints made especially for plastics, such as this one that I found on a really quick google search for a puppetry forum I frequent.

I think that coroplast is a viable solution for many applications, as long as they're not too heavy-duty. But you'll probably always want to carry touch-up paints with you (a good practice for any illusionist).

Good luck!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I used to tour with a family show, and he had used painted cardboard more than 15 years old. Held up for the most part, and since it was stage, I guess some touch up did not matter. Did you ever see the Thurston Illusion Show Workbook photos? To see those props and the beat up condition some where in makes you think what you can get away with if the lighting is right. Well, I guess for a long time, they did work by candle lights, right? Maybe that is why they could get way with trashed props in what was billed as the WONDER SHOW of the UNIVERSE....

Thanks for the input. I did find, in theory, someone semi-local with an email and waiting to hear if they will sell direct.
I was right to ship 4x8 sheets one place online wanted...$134 EXTRA for 10 sheets. That is, $134 for the freight!!!!
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I've used 3/4 insulation sheets from Home Depot also. I painted it up and made an Arabian Tent. I've repainted a few times for different themes. Alcan sells the Dibond that Frank speaks of. You might try calling them to see if they have a distributor local.

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 9:52pm
By the way, I was in Office Max or Depot the other day, and for the 1/8" sheets, they had hinges so you could put panels together and fold them.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Idotrix, do you recall the size of the stuff you saw in the office store and how would one stiffen them if hinged and needed to stand 6 feet, as well has to be covered with cloth on the inside and smooth on the exterior?

thanks
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I'd have to know what you're trying to accomplish to help you on that. If you want to PM me a drawing, I might be able to help. I think the sizes were 3' x 4'.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Thanks, it is pretty straight forward. A box 2.5 or 3 feet wide by 6 feet high.

How to attach them together when one needs it to be flat on both sides yet stand 6 feet tall?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I get coroplast from the local art supply shop. They carry it in 3 x 4 foot sheets as well as 4 x 8 foot sheets. You can put it together with cloth tape or colored duct tape.

Or you can use glue, for that matter.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7442 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have purchased 4'x8' plain coregated cardboard sheets before at art supply stores (although I have to admit, I've never seen them nor asked for them at a national chain like Michaels. It was at a smaller art supply store). I don't think they were out in the open... I had to ask for them. But they stocked them.

I was buying them to make cardboard illusions and mock-ups. I'm not sure what normal artists use them for.

For 4'x8' coloured coroplast sheets, I purchased those at a local plastics shop. Several colours to choose from. They also sold 4'x4' and 2'x4' pieces.

And yes, I purchased one or two sheets at a time when buying the cardboard or the coroplast.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've never seen larger pieces of coroplast at Michael's. Michael's isn't the kind of art supply shop I had in mind. They are really a crafts store. You need the kind of art supply shop that professional graphics people go to. In our area, it's Texas Art Supply. Dick Blick might have it in some of the more northern parts of the US.

Powermagic -- have you tried google? You don't mention where you are located in your profile. Go to google and use the search terms coroplast and the name of your town and state.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cardboard sheets? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL