The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How's your December? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ZachWaldman
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ZachWaldman
Hi everybody,

I've been away from the forums for quite some time. However, I've returned and look forward to contributing on a regular basis.

I just wanted to let you know that I revised and expanded my marketing, performance, and self improvement course for magicians that want to perform in bars & restaurants.

This course was originally an e-book, but now its over nine hours of audio/video Powerpoint presentations. I literally walk you through the marketing process as well as offering tips on performing in the restaurant environment.

I don't mean for this to come off as an ad. I've been asked for quite some time when I'd release this product. This is a one time announcement but I'm making it now because this is a great time for you to reflect on how your business is doing.

It's December. This is the best time of year to be a magician. Yet, I've been getting a ton of calls from other magicians complaining that they aren't booking gigs.

Of course, they're all blaming the economy. I hear it every year. There's always an excuse about why they're having a bad December. This year it's the economy. Four years ago they gave me some other reason.

If you're not booked solid right now, then why not start off the New Year right? Even if you don't use my course, take action right now to get a restaurant gig. If you can work four restaurants a week, every week, I promise next December you'll have a full bank account - excuse free.

Truthfully, I'm just looking forward to connecting to old friends. I don't mean for this to come off harsh, I just want for my fellow magicians the same joy I have as a professional performer.

So, if you'd like to learn more about the course, check out my web site:

Otherwise, drop me a line just to say hi!

Regards,

Zach Waldman
The Restaurant Magician
Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the ad like announcement, as long as you don't make a new one every day or something.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
For $50 bucks I'll send you 5 sure ways to get bookings and 10 sure ways to lose them.

What a bargain. Oh, these are all new and improved ways!

Derrick
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Derrick,

Are you having a christmas special? If I can make 3 easy payments if $16.67, then you might have your first sale! Smile
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
^ haha, in my relatively young career, I've mastered the "parking lot changing room" technique.

Still waiting for a gig where I got put up somewhere other than a couch; I guess that's how I will know I've really made it.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 14:41, Natanel wrote:
^ haha, in my relatively young career, I've mastered the "parking lot changing room" technique.

Still waiting for a gig where I got put up somewhere other than a couch; I guess that's how I will know I've really made it.

I am going to say this and hope you take it right. This is a step in the right
direction for you Natanel. Seriously. A bit of humility, honesty about a relativly "young" career and the couch thing. Nice. I like it. Seriously.

Now keep it up. This is a more human side, one which will get you attacked FAR less because of your honesty about who you are.

I for one am willing to let you develop into a human being. I hope it happens. But barring that, this at least as a stand alone event was good for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 16:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

direction for you Natanel. Seriously. A bit of humility, honesty about a relativly "young" career and the couch thing. Nice. I like it. Seriously.

Now keep it up. This is a more human side, one which will get you attacked FAR less because of your honesty about who you are.

I for one am willing to let you develop into a human being. I hope it happens. But barring that, this at least as a stand alone event was good for you.

Hah, Thanks, I'm sure you guys can commiserate with the early days of performing and putting up with less-than-ideal performance accommodations.

I do fear I may have poisoned the well again with the post following.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 15:58, Natanel wrote:
Yes, the bar I performed at had been the site of stabbings, and even a shooting the month before I came on board. Aside from me, there was only a DJ, but the "harder" members of our clientele probably had more pressing things to worry about then hassling performers.

Maybe your "no shirt and vest" ensemble plays well in the midwest, but show up in West Baltimore looking like a leather daddy and let's see which one of us "will be beaten up and left for dead."

Oh and by the way, these Baltimore guys tend to use .45's more than "corndogs."

You are sooo cute...I just want to kick you like a puppy.
The midwest? Yes...That is where I am based out of, but I have performed all over the country, from Venice Beach California to Charlotte North Carolina, up into Canada and down to Florida.
Funny...Detroit comes to mind as a rather dangerous city, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago as well...I have performed in all of those cities.
Baltimore doesn't come to mind.
I'm pretty sure I could hold my own.
As for me wearing a leather vest with no shirt, yes that does on occasion happen. It is merely something that goes along with my performance. I wear a shirt to the show. No one is impressed when you lie down on a bed of nails and have a concrete block broken on your stomach with a sledgehammer if you are wearing a shirt no matter how expensive that shirt is. So the shirt comes off part way through.
When I am doing table work (Which I actually started doing in 1992) I do in fact wear a shirt with the vest. No sleeves, but a shirt (Needle through arm tricks make a sleeve just inconvenient)

Lets get this clear- I do not have any real problem with how you dress. None at all. It is you and fits your personae. If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
I believe in dressing appropriate to the venue I am working and the show I am doing. I do character work so my outfit reflects that.
The real problem I had was you going after someone else because of their choice when they were not trying to solicit your opinion.
It was simply rude.
G
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
And I still think you are Mark Lewis. You poke at things just like he does to see what will happen.
Well played Mark.
G
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 16:12, Natanel wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 16:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Hah, Thanks, I'm sure you guys can commiserate with the early days of performing and putting up with less-than-ideal performance accommodations.

I do fear I may have poisoned the well again with the post following.

Ok never mind. Once again you prove for me that while 'Reading is fundimental' COMPREHENSION seems to be an advanced skill.

I was not speaking about performance conditions, or anything about magic in general Natanel, I was speaking of you and your pretentious attitude and need to..... ahh never mind.

I can't wait till you get to be about 29 and look back. I hope you keep in touch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have only done a few biker things in 20 years. One the biggie in Sturgis. More booked because I was at the "Funny Bone" one year and they liked the act.

The other in Milwaukee and one in Daytona "Bike week".

Never worked actual biker bars or anything of the sort. I have absolutly no experience with those sorts of venues. Matter of fact I can doubt if I would even go over well in the venue.

One thing I think I have learned is that my act, or any act for that matter, plays well in some places, and like crap in other places. I have chosen to stick to the places I play well, rather than trying to shoehorn me into places I do not go over so well. Just seems to be the smart thing to do to me. NOBODY goes over well all places.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 16:19, gsidhe wrote:
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.

I think I may have found a new signature line.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 17:46, Slartibartfast wrote:
Quote:

:rotf:
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 17:46, Slartibartfast wrote:
Quote:

You know...Taken completely out of context it sounds even worse.
I now find corn dogs absolutely terrifying.
Flattered to see it as your sig!
G
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
This is my worst December in maybe 15 years. I've had 3 companies that have hired me routinely for the past few years call me to say they aren't even having a holiday party this year. I'd say I had half of the number of shows I normally have had.
Bah, humbug!!!
patrick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Have you tried tricks using "suggestion" which cause people to run out of the building screaming?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2008-12-18 14:37, patrick flanagan wrote:
This is my worst December in maybe 15 years. I've had 3 companies that have hired me routinely for the past few years call me to say they aren't even having a holiday party this year. I'd say I had half of the number of shows I normally have had.
Bah, humbug!!!
patrick

I feel your pain! I have more restaurants than I did last year AND I did a lot more follow up this year. Still half as many shows as last year! Smile
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Same is true down here in Dallas...for me at least. I usually have about 20-30 gigs lined up (not counting my restaurant work) for December. By late September, I had 23 shows lined up on the books for the Holiday Season. Then the phone calls starting coming in. Companies were laying people off left and right and no longer had a budget for a Holiday Party...or those that did didn't have the budget to spring for Entertainment. I began cold calling my normal Corporate Clients who book with me year after year and everyone's in the same boat...and that boat is sinking quicker than you can say "I won't let go Jack...I'll never let go!"

By the middle of November, I had 10 of those bookings CANCEL on me. By early December, I was down to 8 gigs. THANKFULLY those 8 have held steady! The Crap-Tacular Economy that we all live in now makes it hard to be an entertainer. But...I've lived this before and like before, always seem to whether the storm.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:

Corn dogs don't violate people. People violate people.

DD
Loyal supporter of the second amendment in every form
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Oddly enough, I've been getting a lot of last minute things, mostly for newer companies that are just getting off the ground. Well, I was getting... My last gig was Tuesday and I have nothing more lined up until New Years Eve. Bah! Thank God for steady restaurant work.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How's your December? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL