The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Scotch & Soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
Hi all,

I bought Scotch and Soda after seeing it performed on me by the folks at Browser's Den in Toronto (awesome!). While I was mystified by the trick, I'm curious- what if the spectators want to examine the coins pre- trick? Due to the gaff, I can't show them... or is there a way I can and do the sp**t again?

Cheers
chidzuyo
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of chidzuyo
Hmm, usually spectators won't request to examine the coins because they do not know what to expect (unless you tell them). Hence in their minds, what they see is what they get.

Normal coins.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
The key point in most effects is spectator control...

Do not let yourself get into a point where they will ask to see them.. that is done via patter and presentation.

Come up with an entertaining presentation using solid patter and you should be fine.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
Hmmm those are both good points. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to introduce this trick then? (and some good patter to flow through it)?

Cheers
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1153 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I agree that you can prevent it with audience management BUT makes me think and I want to explore this further now. Could be useful.

I was shown a move at my local shop that he called a "mexican turnover" move with coins (usually associated with cards). He used it to show a real half and a gaffed half to look real. I need to get back to you on this one as I don't remember, but can prob. figure it out. Will PM you or meet you in secret section where I think we can openly discuss? I believe we can do so there easier?

Anyone heard of this move? I didn't see it in Bobo's.

MSN
ovationkc
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ovationkc
I have seen it in cards as you mentioned but have NOT seen it used in coins. Please keep me updated with what you find.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The best patter I have found for S2 is from Big Daddy Cool's Theatrical Magic book. He is on the Café from time to time and can be PM'd. Regarding the "turnover" Brad Christian's "Street Magic" has the effect done with business cards, but it is well explained and works with coins. The hitch there is you are showing the same side of the coin twice. You can also do a switch after showing the real coins either with a classic palm or using a good reason to go to your pocket (like for the other coin). Just some thoughts...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
timdini
View Profile
New user
Shoreview, MN
22 Posts

Profile of timdini
"I was in a bar once"...and go from there heh. I keep the standard setup what can I say =)
yeats
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of yeats
>"what if the spectators want to examine the coins pre- trick?"

the vast majority of spectators will respond to spectator control; i.e. if you're presenting smoothly and taking the initiative in the performance, they are happy to sit back and watch.

About 3 times in the past 15 years, I have had one of those annoying spectators who really insists on examining everything. On each of those 3 occasions, it was always in a non-stage situation; doing some impromptu at a social gathering, etc.. Ironically, on those occasions, I was using non-gimmicked impromptu materials. [In a stage situation, the spectator control is inherently more powerful, and I have never had a spectator make any request like that... the combined force of will of 200 audience members, wanting to see a good show is very powerful]

The beginner's mistake is to immediately let them inspect the prop if it is ungimmicked... but if you do that for one prop, what happens if the next prop is gimmicked? My response is usually to ask them to be a good little boy/girl (and I use that line whether they are adults or kids, to emphasize that this is basic decorum that their mommies should have taught them), and hold their questions to the end, so that I can perform the trick. I wait until it is convenient for ME to let them inspect it - and hold this consistent for all performances, so that ultimately I retain full control of what I'm going to show them, and when. If they get too pushy (and there are ppl who do) I will very politely and friendily ask them to leave the stage, and select another volunteer. Or in a social situation, I will simply end the performance.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1153 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 10:23, ovationkc wrote:
I have seen it in cards as you mentioned but have NOT seen it used in coins. Please keep me updated with what you find.

O.K.
I stopped by Barry's Magic shop here in MD. If you ever have a chance, that is the place to go for questions like this!

Anyways, Barry and I discussed it and he showed me the move (and other moves to use). It is WAY to hard to explain here and it would be exposure anyways. Again, VERY hard to explain.
He didn't have any names for the moves, but one reminded me of a Back-slip like move used in cards.

I would HIGHLY suggest going to a local magic shop and/or a Magic club as well. The Café is an EXCELLENt source of course. But, for guys like me, I need more than a written explanation. Besides, I love just hanging out.
Sorry to ramble.
PM me and I will try to explain the move...

Mike
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Homegrown
- you will hear/read many times the most powerful magic is what happens in the spectators hands

That is one way to go with a Scotch and Soda presentation

You control the presentation,
if in the very rare instance someone requests to see the coins beforehand use them as the subject

Something like "We'll go one better, I'll place both the coins in your hand and allow YOU to put them behind your back"

You are in control but allowing the spectator to think they are.
Please don't present it like "look how smart I am doing this trick"

There are ungaffed scotch and soda methods, personally I like the gaffed method better
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
I like it Vick. Your response simple, and ties it back in.

Cheers
Lord of War
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville
7 Posts

Profile of Lord of War
The spectator control usually works for me, but like yeats said, in social situations, which is what I usually perform in, I'll just calmly end the trick if they get pushy. You are doing them a favor by performing, not the other way around.
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
I try not to repeat coin magic to the same people becasue when you whip out ur coins they know right away that ur doing coin magic...so try doing it to new people and keep them in you pocket and not in your hands all the time becasue if you pull it out of your pocket it will seem less likely that you have something setup. Just my quick thoughts.

Thanks

Carlos
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Audience management will help you but most people think that since they see one side normal the other's also normal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Scotch & Soda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL