The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ever had a problem with the growing and shrinking head illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I bought a Black & Decker drill from Wal-Mart for $8, even comes with batteries. Only thing is the screw doesn't fit very well into the drill. So the disc will wobble. Anybody have any tips?
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 11:39, itsmagic wrote:
I bought a Black & Decker drill from Wal-Mart for $8, even comes with batteries. Only thing is the screw doesn't fit very well into the drill. So the disc will wobble. Anybody have any tips?

Wrap a little electrical tape around the screw on the disck. That should take up any slack problems you are having...

Lyndel
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 12:48, Lyndel wrote:

Wrap a little electrical tape around the screw on the disck. That should take up any slack problems you are having...

Lyndel

Real men use duct tape! Smile

Brian
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 11:39, itsmagic wrote:

How is the speed? Does it turn the disc slow enough?
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
The fact that this is a 80/20 type of effect always played to my advantage.

I do it once and then ask "who got it?". about 80% raise their hands. I tell them that it is an optical illusion and therefor it doesn't work for everyone but let's do it again.

I do it a second time and again get the same reaction (80%) but I sometimes notice that different hands go up and some of the previous hands don't. So I say "let's do it one last time" and this usually get's everyone as focused as possible because those that 'didn't get it' the 1st and 2nd time do their best at 'getting it' this time.

usually by the 3rd time whoever didn't get it the 1st and 2nd time will not get it this time however the majority 'do get it' and 'love it' and therefor it will stay in my show.

I use a chargeable handheld drill with a bit and do it in both directions at a good easy to follow pace. It is a good in betweener and not presented as an illusion or magic trick but solely as an optical illusion.

Dani
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Like Dani, I do it three times, but on the last time I get one of the organizers of the event to come stand next to me. This time, I have the disc going in the opposite direction. I explain to everyone that this time they are to look at my helper's head, and that they will something a little different than what they already saw.

It works great, and is a simple way to get the show sponsor/organizer (etc.) involved. I then have everyone applaud for my helper as she goes back to her seat.

Real crowd pleaser! I've had female teachers ask me if the effect will work on other parts of the body on a permanent basis. I told them that if I could do that, I'd be a millionaire! Smile

Brian
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Brian,

Which do you do first, the growing or shrinking?
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I ALWAYS do "Shrinking" first.

For some reason, the "Growing" gets even Larger responses so I do it last, and like Brian, I bring up a Volunteer for it.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Thanks for the duct tape tip. I'll try it. The speed on the walmart b&d drill is moderate. And you can use it to spin the disc forward and backwards.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 15:20, MagicByUriel wrote:
Brian,

Which do you do first, the growing or shrinking?

I do the growing first. But since Frank said he gets a better response by doing the growing last, I may try that. Smile

Brian
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
445 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Sad to say my results were not so great either....
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
445 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Sad to say my results were not so great either....
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
So lets narrow this down.

It doesn't work for children.
It doesn't work for old people.
It doesn't work for people with long distance problems.
It doesn't work for people who aren't listening to what they have to do.
It doesn't work to those that can't hear due to music / lots of background noise.
It doesn't work for those that just don't get it.
It has never worked on me, or anybody I have ever tried it on.

Look guys, I know you said you had some mild success and got a 50% reaction from your audience which your apparently happy with but... For the 50% of the audience that it doesn't work for, its 'dead time'. That's the moment you lose the momentum and they go off to the bar or another activity, often taking all their friend's with them.

What I simply don't get is why you would even perform a trick which only works to such a small majority of the audience? Just do a normal magic trick that works to everybody!!! Its not as if the magic world is short of effects to perform.

Steve
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I agree that this trick, so to speak, does not work on everyone. My ex wife was not able to see it work when we went to a hypnotists show a long time ago. I could see it and a lot of others in the audience saw it. There werew some that did not see it but I still thought that the effect was really great. I also agree that we as performers need to do effects that works for everyone, but not all tricks that people do have a great response all of the time. I think that we try and entertain as many people as we can. Not make them waatch magic that WE thnk will always work. Not trying to be the baad guy here but I think it is a great effect and I am going to add it to my show. Just my opinion here.

Thanks
Steven
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Steve,

You sound quite negative about this possibly from your own experience. I have experienced a good laugh per minute on this effect and when I say 80% of my audience (I do this effect in my 7 - 11 yr old show) I actually mean 80% of the audience 'get it' each time I do it and I do it 3 times.

So, not all the same people get it each time and that means that 80% get it each time. So some of those that didn't get it the 1st time will get it the second time and vice-versa. The same applies to the 3rd time.

In total I would say there is only about 5% of this age group (including parents in the audience) that don't actually ever get it. If you consider an average audience of 40 people and 5% don't get it this amounts to 2 people in total that might lose momentary momentum but are easily brought back into the show in the effect that follows. I'm willing to perform any effect in my show that 2 children might not like as there is no garauntee that the entire audience will like any single effect be it this one or any others I perform. 2 out of 40 is not a bad deal and when 38 get it and laugh and 2 don't - I can live with that and so can they for a few minutes.

My routine is about 3 - 4 minutes and this gets 3 good laughs (one good laugh each time I do it).

Looking at it positively:

It is a good fast paced routine
It plays very well for 95% of the audience
It gets 3 good laughs in 4 minutes
It packs flat and plays big in almost any environment (indoors or outdoors)
It is a great in-betweener to keep the momentum going
It makes a change to another magic trick during the magic show
It is not terribly expensive so if ever got ruined could easily afford a new one
It comes in strong plastic these days - not card as I believe it used to

Use it in your show or not, that is your porogative but I am very happy with this effect and I think you can see why.

Dani
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
I actually planned on using it as my closer, as I saw a magician do in a camp I was in and he got great reactions; me included.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I used this as my opener tonight. HUGE reactions! This was at a Christmas party in a home. The adults in the back started laughing. Only about 50% of the kids reacted the first time. So I moved the kids back about 10 feet and we did it again. Everyone reacted strongly including the kids.

After the show the kids and some of the adults were begging to see it again. Several families arrived late and I had a pretty good crowd all standing as far back as possible. The adults were howling and the woman who hired me made the comment about "can you do it to other parts of the anatomy?"

Without a doubt, it was the hit of the night (along with the 3D Sponge Bunnies).
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am shocked and simply amazed at what I am reading here. I do this almost every show. why? because it plays for just abiout everyone. I mean except real young kids ages 4 and under, this plays for everyone else. I mean I get huge reactuons every single time and often get requests to do it again.

The reactions I get off of this every show is just huge and I keep it in my show just because of that. it simply plays well all the time.

Now the problem I see is that a lot of magicians perform it wrong. It must be done right and with certain things factored in for full effe3ct;. But if you knows these upfront and have these in your routine, it will play every single time gaurenteed.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
O.k. let's just settle this right now!

I think EVERY Magician should Stop doing this trick IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Every Magician except for ME, Of Course! Smile

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Lol Sorry Frank. How about you get rights for your area and I get the Philadelphia area rights. lol I love this thing too much. I get such great reactions and I perform it all the time.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ever had a problem with the growing and shrinking head illusion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL