The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » First attempt at wood turning-pic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
I know it isn't much, but this is the outcome of my first attempt at turning wood.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/IMG_2962.jpg

This is made from a piece of oak that was destined for the fireplace. I cut it into a blank on a bandsaw. I spent over an hour on the lathe, which I am sure was entirely too long for an experienced turner. I am not totally pleased, but I am not totally discouraged either. I learned a lot and plan to go for round two tomorrow.

Overall length is 12 1/4" and it is 3/4" in diameter at the largest end.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Fun, isn't it?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Very nice job!
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Yes, close to addictive. Thankfully my father in law has all of the equipment, so I had zero investment to start. I have been reading some info online about woodturning, because I really had no clue what I was doing. I have used metal lathes and I have done a fair amount of wood sculpture. It was somewhat akin to combining the two into one art form.

Just as an aside, Mr. Baker, I have looked at your website and you work is beautiful and inspiring. Your wands are very nice.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thank you. I'm sure you'll be turning out some really nice pieces, too! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Your first attempt is way superior than my first go at the wood lathe.
My first piece went straight into the wood stove.
Yours is definitely a keeper.

I also started as a wood carver. In the 80's chainsaw carving outdoors and the 90's inside with Fordoms and Dremels.
I find turning a lot more relaxing, especially compared to chainsaw carving.

Eric
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Eric,

I saw a couple of your ball vases that Bob Sanders brought to our recent club meeting. Very nice work. I was impressed!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Thanks Michael,

We have a couple of your pieces proudly displayed and used in our home.
Your Oriental Twin Die Box is on my wish list.
I am so tickled pink when art marries with magic.

Eric
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Very nice!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What's next, Paulyp?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Well done,satisfying isn't it!!
My business is antique furniture renovation and I only do a few easy turnings,it's more economical to give it to a full time turner plus,if you've ever tried to turn a barley twist,you'd know exactly what I mean.
Stick at it mate and move onto some different timbers,the beauty also lies in the materials,as well as the craftsmanship.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Paulyp,

From one turner to another, welcome to the fraternity! Ditto what Eric said, my first few pieces went straight to the burn barrel! VERY nice first try man!

Mick
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Paulyp,

Nice work I have been turning for over 15 years. I really like the fact of where you start and what you end with. Only problem sometimes I finish with fire wood, other times I get lucky. Take your time and enjoy, stay safe as well.

Shawn
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I'm no expert but that looks pretty good to me... If that were my first piece I would be as pleased as punch!
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Thanks for the compliments guys.

To answer the question of what's next, based on today it's frustration.

I went down to the pasture where we dump a lot of trees. There was persimmon and a cedar. Both were acouple of years old. Unfortunantly, I don't think that there is any usable persimmon. I will have to cut some of the thicker pieces to see if anything in the middle is useable. I did get some good pieces of cedar, though.

I spent a while just turning the cedar round. I was going to make a chop cup. After getting my wood cut and then almost completely round a large piece broke off. Made the piece pretty much unusable.

Next, I worked with some oak again. There wasn't enough good wood to do much. So, I got a lot of practice and made some nice size piles of shavings, but nothing to show for it.

I have the rest of the week off after tomorrow and I am sure I will be back out there. I would welcome any suggestions for good magic projects.

Also quick questions. Where is a good source of wood? I found a few places online and ebay, but I didn't know if any of you have a favorite place. Also is sweet gum good for turning? I just cut down a gum tree and if so, I want to cut some pieces now and let them age. I also cut down 10 pines. Too bad, I can't use those.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm not sure where exactly White Hall is, but check around you for lumber yards, millworks, cabinet shops... anyplace that might carry and/or use wood, especially hardwoods. Woodcraft stores carries a very large variety, but their prices are kind of high, so you'd want to build up your confidence on a lathe prior to making sawdust out of a lot of money. There are many online sources, although I've never bought from them. I'm sure the shipping costs would be frustrating.

Don't overlook old furniture, or similar for salvage. Just be sure it is real wood, and that all nails, screws, etc. have been found and removed. Regarding cabinet shops and millworks... ask if you can raid their scrap bins.

Regarding your current frustration... Some days are better than others. Two basic rules will help:

1) Keep your tools and your mind sharp (I've seen a spindle turned using a screwdriver, but it took some very careful attention to do it)

2) Don't get in a rush (remember the adage, "Haste makes waste")

Both rules will preserve your work and your safety.

Other than that, study your technique (try to find wood turning books or DVDs at bookstores or libraries). How you present the cutting edge to the wood can make a big difference. The grain direction of your stock also makes a difference. Example: Turning a bowl blank exposes a lot of end grain to the perimeter. Presenting a tool head on to it can easily result in some major tear-out.

And yes, some woods turn better than others, although very good, sharp tools and careful attention can turn almost anything.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Nice spiral jay.

If any one wants some inbteresting wood I have huge black walnut tree that needs some intense trimming (cant cut it down but there are 18" dia branches) if any one wants to come by with chainsaw in hand.
mike
Paulyp great first turning you will find that certain woods turn better than others and are less frustrating.
Mike t
Believe you then that I do strange things
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » First attempt at wood turning-pic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL