The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skill Level Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Wouldn't it be great if there was a test, issue by the IBM or SAM, or another well know and respectable organization, that could issue tests to access your skill level. That way you can talk with others and say. I am looking for a new effect, then they could ask. what is your level, oh I am a level 4, oh perfect here is some great stuff for you.

Or you could use it to rub in other peoples faces. Like on this forum. When talking to someone who says you should go and learn this or that, you can just say, excuse me buddy I am a level 3...
RIP The Daily Deception
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
I think your suggestion is a load of cr*p.

my opinion.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I don't think it would be great. It would just create a whole bunch of people who, as you put it, would rub it in other peoples faces. That would be awful.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time doing magic exams, I'm too busy performing or creating, as are all the pros I know. So the ratings would be worthless.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
What would be the point?

How would the skill levels be determined?

Only objective way would be to test someone's knowledge of methods, sleights etc. But that wouldn't mean anything because someone can be skill level 10 and yet a horrible performer.
While someone else with skill level of 3, for example, might be a brilliant entertainer (even though his knowledge is not nearly as vast).
Even if the presentation would be included in measuring someone's skill it would be hard to be objective in evaluating it. Someone might find it incredibly entertaining, while others might consider it lame. (For example, people usually either love or hate Jay Sankey's performing persona)
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
527 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
Magic and Mentalism is an Art. Not a sport.
It occured to me at once that love could be a great illusion, that makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Quote:
On 2008-12-21 06:45, Brandon Queen wrote:

What he said.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2008-12-21 02:19, ChadRees wrote:
Wouldn't it be great ...

Nope, it wouldn't.
Enjoy your weekend.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
There are a lot of problems with determining levels like you said, the most obvious - people rubbing other people's noses in it, has been stated a few times.

The more subtle ones are, in my opinion, more of a problem.

How would the liscensing organization work, neither SAM or the IBM have the resources to rate every magician at the moment. The fees would go up astronomically or you would have to pay for each individual test. A program would also have to be designed for the testers themselves, then who would become the testers? As mentioned above, the real pros are out working and probably don't have time to take much less administor the tests. So...

The testers would be mostly people who race up the levels just to become testers themselves, which means the testers would be people who just had some technical knowledge but little or know performance knowledge. This would not be good at all given that everything in mentalism and good magic is presentation.

Also, what about proof that you're level x, there would have to be a centeralized database which could result in a security headache.

Then there's the issue of competeing agencies and no magic store would actually enforce it leading it into obscurity.

So...overall, not something that would do very well at all.

However, if you are interested in doing something along these lines (and really really obsessed with this concept.) There is something you can do, yourself.

Step 1: Become a well known magician/mentalist

Step 2: Open up a school yourself, design a curriculum

Step 3: Design a Curriculum that can turn people into competant magicans as well as competant teachers of the art.

Step 4: Market the school and produce a few really good professional magicians

There ya go, if you really want, that should keep you busy for a lifetime. If you really do go for it, who knows, you might be the next Tarbell or Corinda.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Um, it already exists. It is called showing your chops.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I may be wrong here, but it seems as if Chad's proposal was asked with tongue firmly in cheek, and was never meant to be taken seriously at all.

Perhaps it was spurred on by reactions to questions Chad posed on other threads that he felt were unwarranted.

Yes, it can sometimes get petty around here, Chad, as it can everywhere else in life. But the wisdom and eagerness to help by the community at large on the Café, is invaluable. Thanks to many, I have been blessed with knowledge I could never have gleaned from books or DVD's.

IMHO, Chad, an integral skill in the performance of our art (if not THE most important) is connecting with our audience, making friends with them, getting them "on our side", encouraging a spirit of cooperation. It's not necessarily easy, but as in any business, it's essential.

Much as it is right here on the Café.
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Someone got it.
RIP The Daily Deception
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
As a 27th level multi-class FMC...
:dice:
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Currently I am at skill level 2578 -

My acquired powers are -

Spell Casting

Mesmeric Gaze

Superhuman Strenght

So, I tell you all to shut up and stop this thread. OBEY! WORK! CONFORM!

;)
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2008-12-21 06:45, Brandon Queen wrote:

So are music and ballet. But guess what?

Furthermore, over at the NOTS forum, I've been determined to be a super-hero, so who needs this? HAH!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2008-12-21 15:10, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
So, I tell you all to shut up and stop this thread. OBEY! WORK! CONFORM!

There is no reason to be so rude. And if you want this thread to stop, you should not have added to it, just brings it back to the top of the list.
RIP The Daily Deception
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I would have thought that the person who started this silly thread would recognize humor when he reads it...

:hmm:
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
How about a humor test?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Knock, knock
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Whos' there?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Dozen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skill Level Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL