The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Change Box, Mirror Box question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 14:29, worldofwondermagic wrote:
I am hoping to begin to build a few mirror boxes from sale. I want to use finer woods like oak or teak and finish them to look like expensive furniture...perfect for a professional or collector. Any suggestions on proper sizes of boxes for stage vs. parlour vs in-home (like b-day parties)?

You sound like a man after my own heart. I have seen way too many poorly constructed, garishly painted props. I too like to work in naturally colored hardwoods. As for size, it depends more on what you want to vanish or produce (finger rings or elephants) than anything else. Of course you can get too small for stage or too large for living rooms. Let the size of other props for the same venues be a general guideline.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thank you, Tom. My son is an excellent woodworker, and I am performing magician. Together, we hope to build some standard props, but with a classic look. We will do this under our new company, WoW! Magic.

I will likely start with a mirror box and a silk cabby.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
CharlaineC
View Profile
New user
rhode island
61 Posts

Profile of CharlaineC
Thank you Michael for the clarification that helps allot. as did the link thank you when I start my project with the foamcore I will post a build thread for it.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:

Here is a guy who shows how to make a basic mirror box from wood, but foamcore could be used successfully. The design is very deceptive on this, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raiFzWTyEKU&feature=relmfu

Stripes, checks, plaids all work well for interior linings, but ambiguous patterns can work well, too.

I REALLY like his design. Big doors, and the stripes, which I hdn't seen before, work really well as they carry the eye from the front up to the top in what seems a very continuos way Smile

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 2:30pm
You know, I've been looking for a good way to build an appearance for a macaw that didn't require training the bird (and me) for a steal. I was thinking a big tip over... but a Large version of that mirror box could work really well...
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Anyone know of a box similar to the old Abbott's mirror? Was not decorated, just stained wood. Item loaded in top. Had a handle on the side which turned the open bottom toward the audience. I am in the market for a non "magic prop' looking item. Builders? The idea of an edging around the opening is fantastic!

I just want to flash that the item has vanished.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Abbott's still makes this. I linked to it on the other thread where you asked.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi all,

My kids have a dwarf bunny now, so I have been thinking about humane and safe ways to introduce this new pet to the world of show business.

Has anyone thought about a box where the mi**or(s) can swing out of the way? Then you could make a bunny disappear and then re-appear.

I have seen this done where there is a sword or something down the center. The geometries are tricky. The mi**ors MUST be 45 degrees for this to work, right?

thanks in advance
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Bill: Sounds like you might be interested in a "Protean Cabinet" or a variation on that technique. I'm sure it could be shrunk to box size. You'd likely have to come up with some system for moving the m*****s from outside the box, but it shouldn't be too hard.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
YES! The "Protean Cabinet" is a great idea.

I think this would be awesome.

I want a simple way for Coco to hang out during the show, make an appearance, and then vanish.

I don't want two boxes...
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Definately a Protean Cabinet would be the way to go, then. Lotsa room for your fuzzy friends to chill until needed, and only one box to worry about.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 01:16, Michael Baker wrote:

Ordered and received it, Michael. Thanks for the tip. Very cool.

Barry
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-10-02 00:02, guyactor wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 01:16, Michael Baker wrote:

Ordered and received it, Michael. Thanks for the tip. Very cool.

Barry

Hope it works well for your needs. It's a really good effect with many advantages over other methods.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Yep. I ordered it with plain medium stain. I can temporarily put any type of front on it I may need. First use will be a tomb looking drawing to represent one Christ was put in. He will vanish (be raised up), etc. The unexpected picking up and showing the bottom takes people by surprise. I just have to be sure I'm doing it on a black surface, otherwise they may get a glimpse....

Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Change Box, Mirror Box question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL