The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Shipping to Canada (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Canadians:
Dai Vernon, Jay Sankey, Richard Sanders, Tony Chris, Jeremy Hanrahan, Eric Hansen, David Acer and...my Grandparents.

I'll ship to Canada!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1351 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Oh, magic santa, I forgot to mention, that UPS said they were on strike that week, hence they could not deliver on time, but they still charged and got their overpriced fee for not even delivering. NO REFUNDS. Thanks for letting me complain, it is funny to me now, this was in the early 90's.
I came out okay, but it hurt T. Meyers and future customers, as he will not COD anymore.
I have many other stories where I lost $, but I'm not going into them.

Now I don't sweat it. What will be will be.

And yes, if you see something I have for sale, I will ship to Canada, USPS!

ACE Smile
http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......lideshow
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ohhhh....the strike, horrible time to be a shipping dude. You know the drivers ended up with a worse deal than was offered before the strike and they lost business? I even had a driver threaten to take me on Judge Judy because I told him that had he thrown rocks at my car like he did his boss I'd not have forgotten it.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2008-12-27 23:15, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Canadians:
Dai Vernon, Jay Sankey, Richard Sanders, Tony Chris, Jeremy Hanrahan, Eric Hansen, David Acer and...my Grandparents.

Hey...you forgot me!! I buy almost 100% of my props, supplies and other stuff (the auction site) from the US and I've never had a problem with USPS. From time to time things will get hung up at Canadian Customs, so it may take longer to arrive at my door. I also ship lots of items to the US by Canada Post and again no problems except one or two cases of slow shipment. I will NEVER use UPS as the brokerage fees are outrageous.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
MagicSanta:

I will defer to the fact that you have shipped thousands of items across to Canada. I've only shipped a couple hundred or so. I've always labeled exactly the way you have suggested. I've shipped everything from books to banjo parts up to the Great White. I've also shipped the same items to Europe without incident.

The problems started for me right after 9/11. Because of the intensity and duration of the problems, I have opted out of shipping to Canada.

So have a lot of other people I work for who are in the retail business, both in musical instruments and magic props.

It's our choice. While there may be a market of 30 million people in Canada, there aren't 30 million magicians or 30 million banjo players there. There are other suppliers who will ship to Canada, so what I don't ship is no major loss to the Canadians or to me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think I should add this -- when I ship anything to any destination, whether it is in the US, Canada, Europe, Asia or Australia, I have to make a value judgment. My first duty is to make sure that the purchaser has a good chance of getting the things he has paid for. If there is any doubt in my mind as far as this is concerned, then I don't feel it is appropriate for me to ship the item.

Also, bear in mind that, as has been mentioned before, when shipping via USPS, tracking only applies until the item reaches the US border. The same thing is true of insurance. Ask any postal clerk. Once the item goes over the border, it's no longer under the control of the USPS.

I have shipped a lot of goods from here to Europe via FedEx. I've sent items back here using DHL and Swiss Postal. These were, for the most part, my own personal goods, so I knew the risk I was taking. If I lost the items, it was my personal loss.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Swiss Postal is very good, use to do major distribution out of Zurich and used them all over the place. Worse postal service is in Italy. My biggest cross up in shipping, at least unusual, was I received these things used to inseminate sheep that was suppose to go to a farm in New Zealand and he got my resisters. Note again I never used the US Postal service just because of the nature of my business.

Did you say you sell banjo parts? Do you have a website? I have a Gibson and when my brother was visiting with his convict friend the friend stole all the strings to make tatoo needles or something.
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
546 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Quote:
On 2008-12-27 23:15, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Canadians:

I'll ship to Canada!

Wow thanks Christopher for putting me in the same company as your Grandparents and those other guys.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dai Vernon lives!
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
164 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
With our dollar now in the tank...I am buying a lot less from south of the boarder these days !

Cheers

Mike
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
I recently purchased a set of cups from an eBay seller in Canada. He forwarded me the tracking number and when I access Canada Post web site it notes that the package was accepted at the post office on 1/2/09, it left Canada the next day, and it "reached the coutry or origin" (The U.S.) on 1/8/09. It is now the 15th of January and I still have not received the package.

Called USPS and they told me to Call Canada Post, Canada post was able to tell me that "reaced the coutry of origin" probably meant that it was in customs.

Although there is a tracking number, neither Canada Post or USPS seem to be able to provide information about where the package is as of now.

It's only been a week but I'm getting nervous. I have little experience receiving items from Canada- Is this wait time normal? What is customs doing and can they be contacted some way?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If they track like normal the tracking ends when it enters customs and will not track again until released. It still has not been an unreasonable amount of time to clear. Remember, it is an unusual item and the price shown is likely odd for what the lay person (customs) would expect.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I do business around the globe (over the web). Anything valued under 300 USD is usually not subject to customs charges and if it's shipped as "books", learning material, gifts, and such it seems to get a pass altogether.
Of course internet sales are hurting local economies ... get ready for mandatory internet taxes and less free trade. Smile
POOF!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Forget it Kregg....they don't listen. Sometimes the delay is just because it is heavy volume. Hopefully the fellow it is shipping to has his phone number on the docs.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 15:50, MagicSanta wrote:
If they track like normal the tracking ends when it enters customs and will not track again until released. It still has not been an unreasonable amount of time to clear. Remember, it is an unusual item and the price shown is likely odd for what the lay person (customs) would expect.

Thanks Santa, fingers crossed!
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
THIS, my friends (because this subject came up a month or two ago) is a classic example of a moved thread.

Santa is the ONLY regular Nots participant in this thread. So, was it started here? Probably not. Was it moved here? Probably so. Can we learn from it? We probably can. Will the people who originally posted in this thread return to it here at Nots and learn from it? Probably not. Have I been drinking again tonight? Probably so. Do I play the banjo? Probably yes. Do I live in Canada? Probably not. Should I order a banjo part from Bill, would he send it to me in Germany? I haven't the slightest idea. Does Bill know as much about banjos as magic? I'd say yes. Have I been drinking tonight? Yes.

Do you all love me? Probably not. Does Santa love me? Probably not. Does Rupert love me? I hope so, since I love him. What does love got to do with it, got to do with it? Nothing.

Do I love threads like this--one's begun elsewhere and moved here to Nots? Yes, I love them. Do they say something about the nature of the Café? I think so.

Do such threads say something about banjos, magic, Bill, Jonathan, Miami Vice, popcorn, Don Driver, sex, Amanda Knox, Göttingen, Pistachios, Cell phones, and whoopie cushions?

Probably not.

I love you all.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I used to to PR for an auto race team based in California. They were going to race in the Toronto area, so, as per all races, about two week before an event I ship about 100 press kits to the circuit's press department.

Tha package to Canada never got there.

Some months later it was returned with a memo, "You should have your material printed in Canada... to ship these here takes business away from a Canadian printer."

Huh?

Then, when I flew there, the customs person at the airport said, "What's in that bag?" (It was a camera bag). I opened it and showed him it was camera gear. He motioned me to go into a side office. Someone came in looked at my stuff and asked me what I was doing with "so much camera equipment?" I told him I was a photo journalist doing a story for a magazine.

He made me pay over $200 import duty. He said when I left the country I had to prove I was leaving with all the same equipment, and then could file for a refund.

It took over three months to get my money back, Less a handling fee.

The following year, when I got to the customs guy, I lied. When he asked what I was doing with all that camera gear I put on a FAKE TEXAS KIND OF ACCENT and said, "Oh, I like to take pictures and I give them to my friends."

He said, "OK, go on, have a nice trip."

go figure?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That is how it works Pete!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Shipping to Canada (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL