The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wellington Origami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jkmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of jkmagic
Hi there,

I was looking at purchasing the Origami Illusion in 2009,does anyone here own a Wellington version.The pictures on their webpage look great & I was wandering if anyone could recommend it.John Gaughan has a grat reputation & I know of another magician who has a Gaughan model & Ive seen it up close & it blew me away how beautiful it was.Then I saw the Wellington version & Ive also heard Wellington are a terrific builder,ideally if anyone here has worked with both or seen both up close & were able to advise on it.Even though its mainly for stage I know its an illusion that can be performed relatively close up as I also do conference shows & the venues are usually hotels/convention centres.

Even though I have a decision to make on where to buy either way I will be purchasing this illusion from either one of the above,so I know its going to be great.I have seen enough of the knock off versions,some nice looking but still unauthorised,the vast majority just plain horrible.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Just look over this post.Is too big and has enought info about what you want to know.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=7&527

Jis
jkmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of jkmagic
Thanks JLS , yes the first page of the previous topic & I never even looked!
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
The main difference I have noticed between the two really depends on how your audience is looking at the prop. One looks better when the audience is seated above the prop and one looks better when they are seated below. So it will depend on what type of stages you will be working on.

John
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Both builders are top notch and their props will stand up to use over time. I've actually seen them side by side and they are just about identical in all dimensions. There are a few subtle differences here and there but, that's about it.

I personally own the Wellington version. I was already familiar with Bill's work and I knew what to expect. He was great to work with and I can't tell you how pleased I was when I opened it up for the first time. It's a beautiful prop, finished inside and out.

I still get a kick out of performing this one .. it's one of my favorites. It works well under most conditions but, if it's not a level stage .. you should consider something else. Unstable risers can cause problems moving the prop on stage. That's the only thing holding me back from performing it more often.

Steve
jkmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of jkmagic
Thanks Steve & John.I appreciate your help.Obviously it is quite an investment but hopefully it will pay off in the long term.It is one of the best illusions Ive seen in magic.

Jamie.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Don't count on any illusion paying for itself .. just doesn't happen. It's an investment of course, but they do keep their value over time. Better than any stocks right now.

Steve
Your Financial Adviser
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Too true, Steve - too true!
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
"illusion paying for itself" This has made us buy lots of things didn't it Smile
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
I HAVE THE WELLINGTON AND couldn't BE HAPPIER. ITS VERY STRONG AND DURABLE. ITS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE AND ALWAYS A CROWD PLEASER. LOVE PERFORMING IT. U CANT GO WRONG WITH ONE.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Again I find on e-bay no original "Wellington" origami. http://www.jouhoo.com/tricks,c14014,p1.html .
And B.Schmeelk's comment:The illusion in the photos is definitely NOT built by Wellington. There has been an obvious attempt to copy our design, but I can assure you that it is neither authorized or licensed. I can tell even from the photo that it is lacking some of the subtleties of Jim Steinmeyer's illusion. It is definitely not a licensed version and certainly not worth the selling price. I have emailed the seller and advised him not to use my name so carelessly.

Sincerely,
WELLINGTON ENTERPRISES
Bill Schmeelk
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I did not see the wellington name in the description when I saw it last night.

I am guessing it is not Gaughn version either?
-Matt
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Yes,Matthew,you are right,this time seller remove name of builder,past time he use him,my mistake.But illusion not original. Serg.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Isn't this the unit that was advertised in the Stage Illusions for Sale awhile back???

Blair
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
513 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Yep.
kkentert
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of kkentert
EVERYTHING Bill makes is exceptional. His Origami is no exception. If you're getting an origami, wellington is the way to go.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Anybody know the cost?
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Am I confused....that unit (the purple foldup box)....it looks like a real one to me...I believe it was for sale not long ago on here and I was under the impression that he was selling as an original unit....perhaps we are getting confused, please clarify. I am curious more than anything, because I thought for sure it was a real version.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
It sold on eBay yesterday and, according to the seller, it was a slightly-modified Wellington Origami.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
According to the seller, it was a slightly-modified Wellington Origami. (ClintonMagus)

OK,if I slightly modify Gaughan's model, I can sell my illusion and say this is an enhanced version with no problem? This is a rip off(fake). I repeat, I never view a rip off the same as the original and NEVER better! Serg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wellington Origami (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL