The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Making your own gaffed and trick coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lukesy202
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of lukesy202
Need help in finding a web site or DVD on how to make your own gaffed coins, like flipper coin or folding coin, can anyone help?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You're going to need a lot more than a website. About 4 gajillion dollars worth of equiptment should do it.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
The folding coins I heard require precise perfection but just a few simple tools depending on which one you want to use. You can probably just use a hacksaw and cut down the edge and 2 of the sides, add a ruberband and your set. But make sure you have more coins.

-Mark Tirone
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I looked into learning the craft at a hobbyist level and decided that based upon the skill, experience and equipment required to do it right, it was foolish to even consider trying it on my own. A proper flipper coin is a machinist's work of art and best left to professionals. Certainly no cost incentive to attempt making your own- you could buy dozen's of 'em before you covered the cost of even a modest mill.

-A
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Luke, Uhhhhhh, I don't think you want to do all that. :/ It's really not worth it, not even a little bit. If you must know how it's done, here's a string on it and I'd pay particular attention to the comments by craftsman, Thomas Wayne as to the mechanics.

Basically, you see how easy it is to go to McDonalds and by yourself a burger but it's a lot harder to everytime you want a burger to slaughter a cow and make one from scratch. Smile Sorta the same relative difference here as to gaff coin making.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=202
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Karate coins can be made if you want some. You can take a punch and hammer the coin against 2 bricks with a gap and some fabric or cloth on each side to prevent scratching. Just hammer the punch into the coin. Or read the thread on the Karate Coin gimlet. But it is much easier to just buy a gaff lol.

-Mark Tirone
lukesy202
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of lukesy202
Thanks for all your advice. Still going to try to make a couple of trick coins, cannot give up before I even start with a scroll saw and Dremel. I will try to make a folding coin, and bite out coin. If they are OK I will display them on the forum.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Keep us posted and good luck sir!
You have your work cut out for you (pardon the pun lol).
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Maybe you can bake you own coin like cookies. That would fit the Christmas season and you could clean up by eating the gaff – very sneaky. Well a flipper cookie might be a think of impossibility, but a c/s (chocolate/vanilla?) cookie might be possible. I tried it once, buy my cookies weren’t uniform in shape and I had never the time to experiment further with that idea.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 01:15, pepka wrote:
You're going to need a lot more than a website. About 4 gajillion dollars worth of equiptment should do it.

I think you can get away with 3 gajillion if you know what to buy... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I made some Oreo cookie flippers using red vines. Sounds crazy but they tasted great. Just don't eat them before going in to have you teeth cleaned. They hyginist won't think its very funny. Trust me on this.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Making your own gaffed and trick coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL