The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best source of blueprints and plans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Who do you guys and gals think puts out the best plans/blueprints for building illusions/effects?

I have yet to see any where I feel they are worth the prices - but admit I have not looked at many yet...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There's only one answer to this question..

Paul Osborne!

And what do you mean "not worth the prices..?" Virtually anything that gets you closer to a finished illusion is worth the price. Even if the plans are just "pretty good"... as long as nothing is left completely out.. you're far better off then where you started.

I RARELY see plans that are more than $25..and at that price.. unless they're drawn by a 4 year old.. I'd consider that a good deal. House plans are THOUSANDS of dollars... and thousands more if you want changes and multiple copies.

I've never build an illusion.. from ANY set of plans that didn't' need to be checked.. double checked.. changed.. and occasinally I made significant changes.

If you're a magician with a good mind..and are a competnet metal/woodworker. Any napkin/plan/ or scrap sketch should be a good start to get a mockup started.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I think the BEST plans I have ever seen were the ones produced with the Fechner books, Soirees Fantastiques (not readily available). Steinmeyer produced a decent set with his book that included Modern Art and the Shadow Theatre. Harbin did another decent job in his book (abolut 14 plans). The best plans that there are a few designs out there, are the schematic plans by Owen Magic, they even have a materials list.

Loomis produced a nice set on his Doll's House (Temple variation also).

I think a question is do you actually wish to build from them, or are you looking for the secret? I am sure countless illusion plans by Osborne end up on the shelf and are not really being used for building. I like the Osborne plans, as having little access to a lot of illusions, I enjoy the tips on materials, building etc. he includes. Remember he sees a LOT of props!

Blair
Senor Rai
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Senor Rai
Of all those you mentioned, Osborne'se the VERY best, what a genius!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
For a good overview with detailed plans, you may also want to take a look at Welles, "Great Illusions of Magic". This is a two volume set. The first volume describes the illusion and it's workings. The second volume contains detailed plans for each of the illusions.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Owen Magic Supreme's plans are exceptional, but may be somewhat limited. They have actually built from these plans and made corrections as they went along, so you can pretty much be assured that they will work.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best source of blueprints and plans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL