The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Whats the tie that's used in most spirit cabinets ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Whats the tie that's used by major spirit cabinet acts ?
The one where the wrists are tied and then wound behind the body and onto the neck too. The same one that DC also uses in his barclay house ? Is that the Jacob Tie ?
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I believe that is the Keller Tie. Try Tarbell, not for sure but seems like volume 6.
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
Ok, try this one. Volume 6, Lesson 80, Gysels spirit tie. Hope this helps
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
OK Try this one. The Pierre Cardin Tie.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Kellar is only the wrists. DC uses a different method.

I've heard that a Pierre Cardin tie is technically easy, but conceptually addictive.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
And where can I find all these ties. I just bought the "Houdinis ties and escapes" book because it listed many ties including gysels tie and the kellar tie along with many more but was disappointed. Hardly any drawings and non looked similar to the one DC uses.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Maybe you should try it, just as you see it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
The fact is I know how to do the tie. Smile.
Im just looking for the actual name so that I will know how to put the caot on thing ?
I cant seem to do the coat. How is the coat worn on and off ?
A pm would help. Smile Thanks.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Get "33 Rope Ties & Chain Releases" (B. Hull)--from any magic dealer.

The "Ency. of Escapes" (McLaury 1964/2008) has a wealth of info. too.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2008-12-29 12:14, Moxahalla wrote:
Get "33 Rope Ties & Chain Releases" (B. Hull)--from any magic dealer.

The "Ency. of Escapes" (McLaury 1964/2008) has a wealth of info. too.

Both are available from Cannon's Great Escapes.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
We all wonder

If you can do the tie BUT can't put the coat on.... are you doing the correct tie?

As far as the other tie, it's called a Windsor and for enough money; I'm sure the Cannon's will teach that one too.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
The tie DC uses is in Tarbell. Not sure of the name right now, though. On TV, he used an innocent little camera cut during the arm crossing. That's not exactly what happens. Also, when he's wearing the coat, note that the "spectators" are the only ones who see the ropes extending out the sleeves at the back of the body. Hope this helps.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I researched this and if I remember its in tarbell 4. You just put the coat on but its not actually tied around like he says its hard to explain you just need to try it out and you will see.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
The tie used by David Copperfield is known as the Gysel Tie and, as chrusa pointed out, can be found in Tarbell Volume 4. It's a very good and deceptive tie when properly performed, and has been used for many years by John Calvert in his Spirit Cabinet routine.

The tie is logical and convincing. And it's practical. You could perform a Spirit Cabinet routine in someone's home with nothing more than a chair, a bed sheet, a few objects, and the two lengths of rope. In fact, you could perform this tie with something other than rope, if none was available. Cord or even strips of cloth would suffice.
It's all in the reflexes.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-08 15:36, Illucifer wrote:
...You could perform a Spirit Cabinet routine in someone's home...

And then, you blindfold the party guests, and have them hold up some curtains in front of them...
www.maniacofmagic.com

Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I don't understand your comment, or point, or joke, or whatever it was intended to be, Nathan. It's unclear.

Are you referring to the bit where a spectator is in the cabinet with the medium? If so, then yes, you could absolutely perform that bit.
It's all in the reflexes.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Lol, sorry, that was pretty unclear, now that I read it again. I mean, it was unclear BEFORE I read it, too, as evidenced by your post, but I didn't realize it was unclear until I read it just now. Sorry if that was unclear.

What I was trying to reference was the part of Copperfield's spirit attic where he has the audience volunteers step inside the attic, where they get blindfolded, and hold up the curtains, which come to life... shortly before they all get locked inside the attic. I was just thinking that would be a pretty cool sequence to see in somebody's living room.

Peace.
www.maniacofmagic.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Whats the tie that's used in most spirit cabinets ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL