The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Inexpensive portable backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
I have spent considerable time searching for a suitable backdrop that must be at least 8 feet high, and expandable to at least 16' wide. Some were too expensive, others cheaply made, and most couldn't withstand any type of wind. A close friend that owns a national lighting company suggested I try a different source....companies that make exhibitor background sets.

I found a system that comes with premium curtains and carry bag for only $300! It is strong, goes up in minutes, fits in a small duffel bag, withstands most winds, and meets the rest my requirements. The Premier curtains look 10 times better than the web pictures (they will supply you with sample fabric if you are seriously interested).

Here is the link http://www.onlineeei.com/drapes.cfm This may or may not be of interest to those looking for backdrops.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The frame may withstand a wind, but too often I see those kinds of backdrops just flapping in the wind - a distraction. Sure, if there's nothing more than a light breeze, it may work, but if it's a wind the backdrop will not serve it's purpose.

If I were going to use a backdrop outdoors, it would be nothing more than a series of ribbons mounted on pivots, attached to a sturdy frame. Ribbons would allow the wind to pass around them. Still another option is to use a series of vertically mounted flags, similar to what stores, restaurants and hotels use as a lawn sign.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I have the background, and Alan is right. The curtain does have a hem on both sides of the material, so I've tried putting wooden dowels through the bottom hem. It works pretty well, but strong winds will knock over the backdrop. I'd even suggest putting sandbags on the bases to secure them even more. The bases are 25 pounds each, so indoors, they are plenty heavy enough. But when outdoors, don't under estimate the power of wind.

That being said, I love this backdrop. It fits in a duffel bag and sets up very quickly. As Ken mentioned, the material is awesome, and wrinkle free. My wife uses it as well for display during her craft shows. It's some of the best money I spent last year.

Ken
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I forgot to mention, my backdrop is actually 7 feet 10 inches high. That allows me to set it up in a 8 foot high ceiling, which is pretty standard in homes around here...

Ken
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Guys there are lot of these for sale on ebay for $100 to $200. Make your cloth and go with it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Actually,

I spent $169 for the entire backdrop package and $36 for the bag directly from on line eei. Money well spent.

Ken
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
Most of the time I use the set indoors. I like the fact that it is very stable and that there are not any tripod legs to get in my way. I have the black poles which look much nicer.

Outdoors I use them mostly on stages or band shells which have rear walls so wind is not a problem. On occasion, I have used them in open air settings in light breezes without any problems (my older tripod sets would fall over if someone just sneezed!). I have added weights into the hems and put small weights from my Quickset Instant Canopy set on the feet. I am not aware of any product that will work in a heavy wind!

They are a good value for your buck!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Ken,

I opted for the black poles as well. They look great. What color did you go with?

Ken
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
Iam going to order me one monday they look great
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
You won't be disappointed!!!

Ken
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I got the back drop and it is a bit heavy and I can never get it in to the hard case on the 1st try I am not a fan
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I own one of these Backdrops and find it one of the very best for outdoor performing. I place some steel rods on the bottom into the curtain and my curtains stay put. I did however mix and match my curtains. I ordered 2-Red and 2-Black. They will let you do that for FREE.

Rodney

P.S. Bernie Balloons What Set did you buy with a Hard Case. Mine came with a Soft Case and is plenty big. As a matter of fact it is too big.

I am a BIG FAN of this Backdrop
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 22:41, Bernie Balloons wrote:
I got the back drop and it is a bit heavy and I can never get it in to the hard case on the 1st try I am not a fan

It is a bit heavy (the plates where the poles lock into) but I'd rather have the stability of the 25 pound plates, than a backdrop that will blow over. I got the duffle bag with my order and everything fits in nicely.

Ken
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I looked on the web site I guess they do not carry the hard case anymore It is nice because it got wheels on it but I tried to use the back drop for 4 shows and it just took to long to set up and break down If I had one show in a catering hall then I would use it. I just do not think it is practical if you got more than two shows in a day
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
I have been extremely happy with the back drops I purchased form Jeff Jones.

Designed and made by Jeff they really meet my needs they are not as large as the OP was seeking but they set up in 3 minutes and can be packed as quickly.

http://www.magicbackdrops.com/
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
I find that a backdrop under 10ft is pointless. If someone is sitting infront of you, but on lower level while your using an 8ft back drop, that type of angle will make you look wayy taller than the background and it won't frame you correctly.

-john
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Inexpensive portable backdrop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL