The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » You are now Free to move about... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
telegraph.co.uk

Easily the best column I read all year. Now please find something real to whine about...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Good column.

Here's some excellent further reading (and viewing!):
The 60-Second Climate Skeptic
A Layman’s Guide to Anthropogenic (Man...... Warming
Climate Video: A Critique of Catastrophi......g Theory (50 minutes long)

Doug, that column to which you link has more than a few supporters here in Las Vegas. Smile

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'll treat global warming like a crisis when the people who keep telling me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Won't work Doug. The simple fact is that much of Europe, Asia, and misguided people in the US and rest of the world will not rest until manufacturing in the United States is completely dead. It is the only way they can defeat the US in anything. Kyoto would have been the bullet into the skull of production here but thankfully it has been avoided, at least for another month. Glaciers can be threatening the pyramids in Egypt and crops growing in the Sahara and the same people will be screaming about how man is destroying the climate, meaning the US, while India and China pump out pollution without a care because they are poor third world nations in the eyes of those that hate the US and its success over the years. So give up Doug, when they claim cooling is also global warming ya just can never win.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
...and now, the top 10 effects of global warming in 2008:

10. Killer Stingray Invasion

9. Frozen Penguin Babies

8. Black Hawk Down (Happened in 1993, but blamed on global warming in 2008)

7. Shark Attacks

6. Skinny Whales

5. Kidney Stones

4. Pythons Take Over America

3. Beer Gets More Expensive

2. The Death of the Loch Ness Monster

1. Cannibalism
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Yes, man made global warming advocates are so so fervent in their unsubstantiated beliefs ...that no matter what data you throw at them...they say that scientific data that states the 'earth is cooling' is also caused by global warming. How utterly silly!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Well, I sure would go to a non magic area of a magic forum to find the facts about global warming.

I mean, if you 4 don't have all the facts, who would? I'm glad you have all the facts (via links to random websites) that you could find that agree with your viewpoint; At least I can find here links that mock the opposition. I am mollified.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 04:00, Josh Riel wrote:
Well, I sure would go to a non magic area of a magic forum to find the facts about global warming.

I mean, if you 4 don't have all the facts, who would? I'm glad you have all the facts (via links to random websites) that you could find that agree with your viewpoint; At least I can find here links that mock the opposition. I am mollified.

Thanks Josh. I could not have found those words.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
From Wikipedia - Christopher Booker

Booker's scientific claims, which include the false assertion that white asbestos (chrysotile) is "chemically identical to talcum powder" [2] were also analysed in detail by Richard Wilson in his book Don't Get Fooled Again (2008). (The chemical formula for talc is H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2, while the formula for chrysotile, the primary ingredient of white asbestos, is Mg3(Si2O5)(OH)4).

Wilson highlighted Christopher Booker's repeated endorsement of the alleged scientific expertise of John Bridle, who has claimed to be "the world's foremost authority on asbestos science", but who in 2005 was convicted under the UK's Trade Descriptions Act [3] of making false claims about his qualifications, and who the BBC has accused of basing his reputation on "lies about his credentials, unaccredited tests, and self aggrandisement".[4].

Christopher Booker's scientific claims about asbestos have been criticized several times by the UK government's Health and Safety Executive. In 2002, the HSE's Director General, Timothy Walker, wrote that Booker's articles on asbestos had been "misinformed and do little to increase public understanding of a very important occupational health issue."[5].

In 2005, the Health and Safety Executive issued a rebuttal[6] after Christopher Booker wrote an article suggesting, incorrectly, that the HSE had agreed with him that white asbestos posed "no medical risk"[7].

In 2006, the HSE published a further rebuttal[8] after Christopher Booker had claimed, again incorrectly, that the Health and Safety Laboratory had concluded that the white asbestos contained within "artex" textured coatings posed "no health risk". [9].

In May 2008, the Health and Safety Executive accused Booker of writing an article that was "substantially misleading"[10]. In the article[11], published by the Sunday Telegraph earlier that month, Booker had claimed, falsely, that a paper produced in 2000 by two HSE statisticians, Hodgson and Darnton[12], had 'concluded that the risk of contracting mesothelioma from white asbestos cement was "insignificant", while that of lung cancer was "zero"'.

Ah, that guy
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
As of my joining, this thread is half-filled with morons.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 10:57, spatlind wrote:

Here's the full link to Wikipedia's Christopher Booker page. This way, everything can be seen, including the warning:
Quote:
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2008)
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
(Josh I still can't make out your avatar picture...is that the Easter Bunny? Post a link to real thing so I can save my eyes...)

Yeah and eliminating DDT didn't kill millions either...send them 'nets' instead...

do gooders...meh
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 11:29, Scott Cram wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 10:57, spatlind wrote:

Here's the full link to Wikipedia's Christopher Booker page. This way, everything can be seen, including the warning:
Quote:
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2008)

Feel free to do so then Smile

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
<sarcasm>
Doug, it seems that global warming is much worse than eliminating DDT. After all, by this time in 2012, 2/3 of the world'......d causes!

It's all a positive feedback loop, like in nuclear fission, and it's going to be a run away process and destroy us all!
</sarcasm>

Check out the history section of the Wikipedia Booker article: add latest nonsense - 'Facts melted by 'global warming''

It hardly seems to be an impartial, reliable source.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 11:44, Scott Cram wrote:
<sarcasm>
Doug, it seems that global warming is much worse than eliminating DDT. After all, by this time in 2012, 2/3 of the world'......d causes!

It's all a positive feedback loop, like in nuclear fission, and it's going to be a run away process and destroy us all!
</sarcasm>

What an utter whack job Smile

philly_cheese
View Profile
New user
Kennett Square, PA
1 Post

Profile of philly_cheese
... scotty is sort of missing the point ... booker is not a scientist and he has repeatedly been wrong on his scientific claims ... you don't need to look at wikipedia to see that ... lots of evidence of that available ...

"The patron saint of charlatans is again spreading dangerous misinformation -
The Sunday Telegraph columnist Christopher Booker has published 38 articles about asbestos - and every one is wrong"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/......e.health

... pretty funny ... the skeptics listen to booker on global warming ... but I don't see very many of them wanting to live in asbestos lined houses even though booker says they are perfectly safe ... follow the money, who wants to bet booker is being paid by the pro-asbestos / anti-environment lobby ...

... course, doesn't surprise me that bunch of artistic magis would look to another artie type like booker for their scientific information ... sorta sad though ...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm keeping notes....abestos causes global warming, got it!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Just a note. My opinions are not based on this Booker fellow by any streatch. I really enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories but I think Doyle was a freakin' nut job. His being a nut job didn't keep him from being a good writer and some anti abesto or pro abesto guy reporting on documented weather doesn't coincide either. Either there is great snow in the alpines or there isn't, that isn't some deep secret, go look if it interest you. I won't go look because it doesn't interest me.
philly_cheese
View Profile
New user
Kennett Square, PA
1 Post

Profile of philly_cheese
I think this santa guy is the voice of reason ... global warming could be bunk ... I just think it is wrong to use someone like booker to make that argument ... listing booker as an ally or quoting his articles to prove your case is sort of like shooting yourself in the foot or something like that ...
philly_cheese
View Profile
New user
Kennett Square, PA
1 Post

Profile of philly_cheese
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 13:36, MagicSanta wrote:

2/3 of the world population at risk? I bet the lefties would get behind that if they could pick the 2/3 that goes.

... reminds me of the end of days / left behind series of novels ...
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Booker snooker...just another writer to ENTERTAIN me during the BS storm...like Santa, I don't give ratz *** if the whole planet becomes San Diego and everybody can wear tank tops. Prove a case? What case? I have no case. But it IS either colder or hotter or the same...either way I enjoyed the article...I didn't vet it or the writer and couldn't care less about doing so any more than I'd vet Jay Leno...I use Balducci for that. Meanwhile...again...find something real to whine about that won't put power and money in the politicians pockets...if there is such a thing...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » You are now Free to move about... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL