The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Making your own coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
shelley1508
View Profile
Regular user
Sixth Sense, Mind Pad, Insight
121 Posts

Profile of shelley1508
Hello everyone. I'm looking for any information or advice about making your own shell (and other more elaborate) coins. The world of lathes and machining is horribly complicated and daunting so if you have any kind of experience with them that you can share I'd love to hear from you.

I've asked a similar question at

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=26&0

but have posted here, unsure which forum was more suitable. I realise that this is an unforgivable breach of forum etiquette. I do hope you don't feel too violated : )
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Why would you want to? Quality gaffs are very affordable from Tango and Johnson. And if you count how many mistakes you will make getting experience in this fine art you will probably pay more for home made. I would guess that the machinery used to get the needed precision is also quite expensive.
I used to make my own card gaffs but that is much easier.
Kelvin
shelley1508
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of shelley1508
Thanks for replying! Although Tango do produce some good coins, the coin I need is fairly specific, and they don't stock anything like it.

Neither do anyone else, unfortunately. The other reason is that the coins are needed as part of an effect I'm developing (it's almost out, if any of you are UK-based and will be at the Blackpool convention then l'll be there), and I need high quantities (around 100 initially, perhaps more if it's successful). At £15-20 a time from Tango (even if they did stock anything similar) they would end up costing more than a lathe ...
lukesy202
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of lukesy202
I asked the same type of question before on making gaffed coins and got a heap of sarcastic replys. its hard for me being from Australia in obtaining Australia currency trick coins. currently having a go at making some trick coin with a scroll saw(using smallest blade) and a dremel cutting tool. with some great success. will send you some pics if you want. if you want to make a shell coin you could use a drill press and drill lots of small holes and hone the rest out using a dremel. or get a round cutting peice from your local hardware store and just drill one hole. you will need a good clamping device for both opions.
shelley1508
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of shelley1508
I think kcquinn50 is right about making lots of mistakes initially. But forums like this are helpful in that other people can let you know at least some of them before you start out ...

The dremel option sounds like it might work, but for lots of coins (and precision tolerances) it'll be a problem.

I'm looking to embed objects within the coin, so I need to machine a shell and lid. I'm guessing a lathe and some kind of holder or adhesive (I've heard that dopping wax is sometimes used to fix the coin in place) should be at the beginning of this hypothetical shopping list.

Someone should write a book on this ...
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Now you are getting me to think about it. But I don't want to DO it. Maybe small, low profile magnets to hold the lid in place?

If I was to try this, I would plan it out first and then have an experienced friend help with the machine work. I know some people that work at and/or own machine shops.

Here's an idea: The coin gaff makers could probably produce your quantities at an even cost, compared to you buyig machinery and/or paying a machinist. And if your idea is truly unique you could even market it - and get your money back.
Kelvin
shelley1508
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of shelley1508
Sadly the coins I'm using aren't attracted by magnets.

It's a good thought about the coin makers - but I'm trying to cut production costs as much as possible. The initial outlay doesn't matter so much.

Talking to an experienced machinist is a good suggestion. Perhaps one will come across this thread : )
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
I meant glue small magnets to both halves so that the lid will stay on.
But then again I don't have an image in my mind of what you are trying to make.

A magnetic copper/silver set has the magnets inside, but if you have empty space inside, you may have room for very small magnets and still room to hold items. Keep the magnets around the perimeter.

Not too long ago somebody posted a link here of a site that sold "spy" coins. Real coins that could hold things inside. I believe they were from the U.S Mint.
Kelvin
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Have you been to this link yet? It is old, but is one of several that have been started on the topic of gaffing coins. It mentions the workshop area of this forum.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=202&7
Kelvin
Jogi
View Profile
New user
Germany
4 Posts

Profile of Jogi
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 13:53, shelley1508 wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm looking for any information or advice about making your own shell (and other more elaborate) coins.

I've tried that with my lath - and have to say, that this was not an easy job. The problem is, that first you need a pretty good holder for the coin (forget magnets etc.). The second problem is, that when it's getting to the end, the left over thickness (in the middle part) of the coin should and will be pretty thin - and if it's thin, it's weak - and then it's pretty easy, that the coin arch it's back due to the pushing of the lath tool (actually: same with a mill). So you can work very very slowly, but even then, it's hard to avoid this buckel, when you try it with big coins (small coins are way easier). So it's not a problem of the accuracy, but a problem of the buckle you might get in there. For me, I could get out some (a few) fine results, but I wouldn't do it again.

Anyway: I think it's possible when you work with a perfect fitted holder and very very slowly. BUT: If it's worth it, to spend hours and hours (think of 100 pcs - uhh) down there in the garage, you have to decide by your own. Before buying any equipment for this, I would go out and get some quotations of the well known manufactures !

Bye

Jogi
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Hello Shelley,

We can make the special gimmicked coin for you. We make many times special gaff coins for friends to use in his routines.

Just let me know what you need and I will say if we can make it.

Bye

Mr. Tango
shelley1508
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of shelley1508
Thanks for your answers. From searching through this forum I have a slightly better idea of what is needed - perhaps a taig lathe, cutting tools, internal micrometer, and a collet. I figure this would be enough to make a shell. However, I need to make a lid, which will require thinning down the coin to 1/2mm and then reducing the diameter slightly. The question is how you would hold the coin to do this, and how to stop it from buckling like Jogi says.

The other thing everyone seems to suggest is that I get an experienced manufacturer to make it for me. At the moment, that's working out ok for me, but it's costing around $20 to have each one made and as you can imagine, getting 100 done costs almost as much as buying all this equipment. I know it'll take a while to learn, but I have the time and I'm willing to put in the effort. I don't know anyone who'll teach me first hand, so posting here will, I hope, help me to avoid some of the more basic mistakes.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Man I was thinking hard about doing this and with all this info on cost and everything I think I will just hand my cash over to the experts and if I should ever get rich than I will buy a coin gaff company already set up. Wala end of problem.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 13:53, shelley1508 wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm looking for any information or advice about making your own shell (and other more elaborate) coins. The world of lathes and machining is horribly complicated and daunting so if you have any kind of experience with them that you can share I'd love to hear from you.

I've asked a similar question at

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=26&0

but have posted here, unsure which forum was more suitable. I realise that this is an unforgivable breach of forum etiquette. I do hope you don't feel too violated : )

An apprenticeship program might help. A lot of variables when it comes to machining. One other thing for you to think about is safety... One false move and there goes your flip off finger. Could make your Goshman Pinch or your back palming a thing of the past.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Just another good reason to pay the pros. LOL
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:

An apprenticeship program might help. A lot of variables when it comes to machining. One other thing for you to think about is safety... One false move and there goes your flip off finger. Could make your Goshman Pinch or your back palming a thing of the past.

Just think of the dreaded 'window' it would create.

You would still be able to hold a coin in FP. But, and I might be wrong, the coin could flash a bit losing your moment of astonishment.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
BUT, what if the coin is held in finger palm, but also in the spectator's hand? THAT would be astonishment!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Really? Almost said something sarcastic like I would like to make my own pacemaker.
Sorry.
So yea instead of buying your own, isn't there anyone in your area that you could lend you the time for the machinery like no more different from renting a sound studio to cut a track. If you plan to mass produce the coins, yea, invest and go for it. Kudos to you for your creativity and making magic innovations.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2009-12-28 00:42, rklew64 wrote:
Kudos to you for your creativity and making magic innovations.

I like Kudos... M&M Kudos, Now that's an innovation.
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Hi all,

Just read the post and I would like to share I managed to make recently - same as one of the posters - it is very hard for me to find Australian coins gaff - I started making my own shell set

here is the pic

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Making your own coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL