The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Making your own coins (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Here is the 2nd

4 coins + 1 shell

Click here to view attached image.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Very impressive!!!
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Thanks for the feedback.
my next question as a newbie is there any tutorial for making coin gaffs around?
I'm really interested. I really enjoy part of the challenges in making them

Thanks
TomFoolery
View Profile
New user
Gloucester
83 Posts

Profile of TomFoolery
If I was going to make Gaff coins I would go back to college to do a engineering course.
Learn the correct ways of metal turning even using the college lathes to have a go see if it was something I could do.
If you learnt to use the lathes properly there would be endless list of tricks and gaffs you could make.

You have to invest in yourself but it will be worth it in the long run

I sometimes think you have to make a choice which is perform magic or make magic
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
879 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Can we get a look at the otherside of the she**.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
TWOCAN, not sure if I can do it in the forum. I'm happy to show it if I'm not breaking the rule here. may be someone can tell me before I post.

Thanks
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Seems to me sarjito that you are well ahead of the curve on making gaffs. Your coins look pretty darn good to me. Others might tell you that you gotta do this and you gotta do that but sometimes you don't have too really. I mean it's not an easy job I'm sure but what you've done here looks as good as anything I've seen and way ahead of others that wanted to just try doing it. I'd say that you have the basic idea down. Bet a guy like Lassen or Schoolcraft would hire you to help with their stuff. You might not know all the specifics but at one time all these guys didn't know the specifics either and I'm not sure they are engineers. What they are is successful. Who knows might've learned it at home from their dads or something.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Keep trusting in yourself...I think you can do even more. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
879 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I wouldnt think there would be a problem, Just email someone from the staff and see what they say about it,
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Thanks for the feedback.

about contacting staff, I have contacted the manager 3 times through emails but never got any reply back.

may be someone in the forum might be able to give some light

Thanks
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Sarjito... Nice set of coins there.

Is the shell exspanded or are the coins cut down?

Thanks

Shawn
Shawn.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Quote:
On 2009-12-30 08:14, sarjito wrote:
Hi all,

Just read the post and I would like to share I managed to make recently ...

Is this an expanded shell or reduced set? I am guessing reduced from looking at the reeding...

-A
ebinary
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ebinary
Interesting detail on a two headed gaff:

http://www.coinresource.com/articles/fake_coins.htm
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Yes, they are reduced set. Still finding out on how to do expanded shell.

Any info anywhere in the form would be much appreciated - I'm really challanged

Thanks
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Nice set there Sarjito! Im also thinking of making coin gaff but it's pretty *** hard! Thanks for sharing!
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Edgegrip,

Thanks for the feedback. yes, at first it was quite hard.
I'm wondering if anyone has any info on how to expand the coins?

Thanks
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Quote:
On 2010-01-08 03:36, sarjito wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has any info on how to expand the coins?

I think that is one of the more closely guarded trade secrets of the craftsmen making these sets; particularly, how to do it with a minimum of distortion.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-01-06 02:25, sarjito wrote:
Y Still finding out on how to do expanded shell.

Any info anywhere in the form would be much appreciated - I'm really challanged

Thanks

Are you that naive? Do you really think any craftsman will just spill out knowledge that took time to acquire. If your really challenged, like you say, take some time and figure it out.

8 posts won't get you much respect.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Hey, Hey Double J! What's with the hostility?
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2010-01-08 20:46, sanjaya wrote:
Hey, Hey Double J! What's with the hostility?

He seems to think that the number of post you have on some message board determines how worthy you are of information.

What some don't seem to understand is that you have to start somewhere when learning how to do something. Everytime someone comes here asking for info on making or building certain items, you get those who try to discourage them. They say it isn't worth the time or money involved. Well have they ever thought that maybe there are some who think it is worth it? Some people like to learn new things and may become the "best" at whatever it is one day.

To answer your question about how to expand a coin, I think there have been some discussions on here about it. They may be located in Secrets Sessions. You need 50 post before you can access that area though.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
There is nothing wrong in asking but wanting to know trade secrets, source codes, intellectual properties, etc. just for the asking is a bit innocent let's say. If I went with that perception, I guess I could call the Pentagon's 800 number and ask for the nuclear launch codes of the day or call KFC and get the secret 8 herbs and spices.
And of course we have no background on this chap's experience with metal working. I don't know, would one have had a least some metallurgy classes? Hey, Roy Kueppers is in the latest issue of Reel Magic and talks about shells. Pick it up and get some actual working insight on this undertaking. Or just call Lassen, SchoolCraft, Johnson, Tango and say hi can you show me how you make gaff coins so I can make them myself. ok since I already painted myself as being such an a@@, here is something to chew on to understand the scope of making gaff coins- if your going to do, then do it *** it.
The Differences in Commercially Made Coin Gaffs:

Updated and revised for 2010
By Mark Reed aka Marc Mayhem of MagicVault With so many makers of coin gaffs, new magicians often find themselves wondering “who makes the better gaff?” or “What are the differences between all these guys?”. With exception to the high end custom makers such as Schoolcraft or Lassen, most coin gaffs are commercially produced using precision metalworking equipment in a mass production approach. Schoolcraft and Lassen are focused on custom work where each set of coins is treated as a unique process and even greater focus is given to the finer details. While custom makers offer the absolute best in quality, be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on your gaffs. But what about those of us that just want an affordable gaff set to practice and learn with… do we need to give up quality fit and finish? The answer depends on what manufacturer you choose. We will highlight the most common makers of commercial coin gaffs and try to give an honest opinion of the pros and cons of each…
Johnson Precision Magic Coin Gaffs
Johnson has long been considered to be the best maker of commercial coin gaffs. They have been around for a very long time and have a commitment to quality that surpasses any other commercial maker. The fit and finish of their coins are so close to the custom makers that unless you are looking for special coins (antique silver dollars for example) Johnson is the way to go. I think you would have an incredibly difficult time finding any magician with something bad to say about Johnson products. The downside to Johnson is that not every magic shop carries them, and they are usually priced higher than most other commercial makers. Additionally, the flipper coins by Johnson seem to be subpar when compared to others such as Tango. MagicVault is proud to be a Johnson dealer and can supply you with any of their items. (Editors note: Link to Johnson Coins on MagicVault )

Tango Coin Gaffs
Tango is an Argentinean company that has recently gained more of a presence in the U.S. They offer a very wide selection of items. In fact, in addition to the common gaffs, they offer many unique items and gaffs that are exclusive to Tango. Many times these unique items are common gaffs tweaked in ways that the founder of Tango feels adds more value or ease of use. The quality of Tango items is very good. Not quite as good as Johnson. The fit and finish of the gaffs are of quality, but if you place them next to a Johnson, you will notice a difference. Sometimes the edging and milling is a little rougher, or there is a little more gap in a shell. Nothing major, but still a difference. Where Tango does fall short is the included instructions with gaffs. They are horrible. They are written in very broken English that often leaves unfamiliar magician unclear about the use or method of handling. If you order a Tango item, either know how to use it, or know that you can work with a fellow magician to get the

handling down. When I last spoke with Mr. Tango, I have been told they are working with English translators to improve the instructions for the English market. I have seen several items since then and they have indeed made vast improvements. The Tango Ultimate Coin is a great example of Tango at its finest. MagicVault does carry various Tango items we feel are of merit. We do not carry the entire line as we suggest magicians purchase Johnson where we see a quality difference. Pricewise, Tango is very close to Johnson – usually about 10-20% lower. I think as Tango becomes more aggressive, you will see them surpass Johnson.

Roy Kueppers Coin Gaffs
You occasionally find gaffs made by Kueppers. Kueppers is actually a custom maker but supplied gaffs commercially. These gaffs are well made. Kuepper also makes various coin utility items such as coin benders. Kueppers is on par with Tango and priced similarly. If you cannot get a Johnson or Tango, Kueppers is a decent alternative. Be careful as some dealers tend to sell Kueppers at a high price comparable to Johnson. Where Keuppers stands out is the gaffs he custom makes. Much lower price than Schoolcraft or Lassen – and very nice quality.

Sterling Coin Gaffs
You do not see Sterling too often these days. Due to the dominance of Johnson and Tango, Sterling has become a lesser known maker. Sterling offers a somewhat decent quality – but again a definite noticeable difference when compared among Johnsons. They are much lower in price, and do have a narrow product line that is mostly limited to shells and nested coins. For the cost, stick with one of the other makers. MagicVault does not carry Sterling at this time.

Sasco Coin Gaffs
Sasco gaffs are where you start getting into the low cost economy coins. Sasco, while inexpensive, often lacks the quality and detail fit and finish that working professionals and picky amateurs require. They are perfectly fine for beginners looking to get a few gaffs to learn and practice with, but in all honesty we suggest taking that money and putting towards one of the better made gaffs. The prices are not that much lower that it creates a huge spread. Sasco has been getting better at quality and hopefully they will grow to the point of being on the same level as the rest. Only time will tell.

No Name Makes
These are usually gaffs made overseas, or some of the SS Adams or Magic Makers gaffs. They are made in bulk lots in a very quick and sloppy manner. They often have rough edges, gaps in milling work, sloppy fit, etc. They look gaffed and spectators will notice. Stay away from the coin gaffs that are no name brand unless you need a very low cost gaff for occasional amateur use. Consider these practice sets.

Schoolcraft or Lassen
As we mentioned at the start of this article, custom makers are the absolute best in terms of quality fit and finish. Schoolcraft and Lassen are the premier makers of custom coins. Be prepared to spend a great deal of money – however you will have a gaff set that holds its value and performs flawlessly. If you are a working profession that relies on coin work and are making

a good living doing magic – these are for you. Amateurs with some extra cash and desire to have the best – take a look at them also. Anyone else – stick to Johnson. Johnson will not disappoint you. There are obviously other makers spread across the world that we have not touched upon. The goal here was to hit the mainstream and well known makers to help people understand the differences. Granted these comments are the opinion of MagicVault staff, we find that they mirror many of the professional views in the community. Folks, basically what it comes down to is that if you are a person that wants the absolute best (and you have the money available), go with Schoolcraft or Lassen. If coin work is your money maker and full time forte, by all means use the best out there! If you are happy with a quality commercial gaff and not looking to spend a fortune, go with Johnson or Tango. Johnson and Tango are professional level gaffs that have come a long way in the past years, gaining much respect in the magic community. These gaffs will last you a lifetime. Maybe people make a living off doing magic using Johnson and Tango items. That wraps up this attempt to give you folks out there in magicland a decent review of the major players in the coin gaff market. Make sure to look us up at http://www.shopmagicvault.com for all your magic needs!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Making your own coins (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL