The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Hopping Half/ Penny and Dime Coin Preference (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I posed this question to ask:
The Johnson Hopping Half five gimmicked coins set has two Expanded Coins and a Sun & Moon set. Question, Why does Johnson sell one of the Half Dollar coins in the set as a Tail?
The same is for the Penny and Dime. Why doesn't Johnson sell the set with a Head side rather than a Tail side for the Dime?

Having preformed the Penny and Dime, it just seems to me, I would prefer a Head side rather than a Tail side. Am I being too particular?

What are your thoughts? Is there a reason Johnson tools the coins in this fashion?

allen
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I have no idea. But if I had to guess the machinery is geared for the perfered sides and to change that they may have to change setting and throw the machine out of wack. That why when I order a custom set the cost for set up is $60.00 plus the regular labor cost. My guess only ....
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Why doesn't Johnson have the machines set aside to do so many Heads rather than charging you or anyone an additional cost of $60.00 plus the regular labor cost.

Surely, I can't be the only one that's made this request of Johnson.
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
I believe the main reason for using the tail side of shells is that it has no year marking. The shell can then be used over any regualr coin of the same denomination.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Bottom line is this. Johnson makes most of their Kennedy shells with the tail side because supposedly you get a deeper cut on the shell that way.

Mike
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
The "relief" on the tails side is slightly shallower, so more material can be removed, making a deeper ] when using the tails side- Examine most coins and you will see the deeper details on the heads as opposed to the tails side...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Hopping Half/ Penny and Dime Coin Preference (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL