The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New "Origami" from Pendragons??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
This is a really unique illusion with wonderful potential. I think most of you are viewing this like an audience of magicians.

The low resolution of this video does not give you a clear picture of the prop. If you look closely you'll notice that you can see into the depth of the picture frame to its back wall when the picture is in its cubed position.

Also, it is not necessary for an assistant to stand behind the frame as the prop is turned.
It's all in the reflexes.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Is not so deceptive
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
J.i.s. I submit to you that you are not seeing it properly. Look at the patent diagram. In a lay audience's mind, where is the girl? Remember, they can see into the depth of the frame to the back wall. It's difficult to see this in the video.

I think this illusion can be beautiful and baffling to an audience. I will add that I don't think this particular presentation is a great one.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Trust me that I saw the depth frame ...anyhow I expected to a big surprise and ..nothing.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Okay, well expecting a big surprise and being deceived by an illusion are two quite different things.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I think the "issue" I have with this illusion is that it is almost like a "sucker" effect. But not sure if that is what it is supposed to be. What I mean is the girl vanishes, audience thinks the wall has something to do with it (ie. is she hiding behind it?), then it is revolved to show she is not. It's very "in their face", and I am not sure if I like it.

But you are still left with a very large object (ht. x width) on a base.

Blair
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Well, Blair, I could apply your argument to Origami, as well. However, I would prefer to say that it leads the audience down the garden path, methodically removing any and all explanations for the girl's whereabouts: Is she really in the tiny box? Is she concealed behind the mirror? It's a bit of a puzzle, but an intriguing, deceptive, and mysterious one, when presented well.

Cube-ism has the same potential and, like Origami, it must be performed well to achieve maximum effect.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Illucifer,

The mirror for the origami has logic so you can see all around. Therefore, it makes since to spend the tabke around.

In Cub-ism when the the canvas/box unfolds logic would tell us we should be able see all the way through now.... When it does not there is no reasonable explanation. I think this effect fails to do such....
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

One difference with Origami is the mirror is (often)added to the table, and sometimes removed at the end leaving a very small box, on a very small table.

Many use the original story line of "adding the mirror so you (the audience) can see all sides.

The "wall" in this case does not seem to be a part of a presentation/story line.

I would love to see another performers take on the presentation.

Without getting into method, what about having the picture frame hung/flown and then brought down to sit on the table so that it could be opened out and the effect performed???

Blair
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I understand your point, Curtis, but there is also a logic for the frame on Cube-ism. It is the frame which holds the picture in it's unfolded state. Pictures are framed. Really quite simple.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes, but it is not reasonable logic and it leads to why, WHY , why, OH WHY? ? ?

IT is like saying look there is nothing in this TUBE....
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

As all our posts are crossing. LOL My note would be is that I have no pictures in my home sitting on a table!

Blair
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
When I first saw this in Magic Magzine, was another origami, and only one improvement I could suggest as when the girl goes in box and its put back in the frame the assistnat is apart of the painting in the same sort of style as whatever you get when you got get one built Smile
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Other then the over extended production of the girl at the end I thought it was amazing, loved the music too.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
I was a lot in public when a good magician was on stage and I heard a lot of things.
The audience is not so "stupid" how some peoples think and for example they said some things very close to the secret....
That things happened when on the stage are original stuff not garbages.
For example the see origami and a lot say ...the girl is in the t....e.
I am very sure that these peoples don't understand the real secret but for they are enought to say just this thing.
In cubeism they will not put too much atention about the depth from the frame ... will say a single thing ...the girl is in the f..
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
513 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:
...I have no pictures in my home sitting on a table!

Well there could be said the same about a mirror sitting on a table.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Is not so obvious about mirror ...you could remove it and in cubeism the frame is already there
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
On the Origami, the mirror is there for another purpose; to constantly show the back side of the box to the audience.

For what it's worth, my wife saw an earlier Cubism clip and immediately gave her explanation of the method...and she was right. After viewing this one, she said, "It's getting better."

Definitely a work in progress.

Dan
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

That is why my suggestion of placing the frame on the table, to allow the opening of the picture. And before folks jump, both Jim S. and Alan W. have a history of using compounded hiding places ie. where the girl was, is not there when she is produced, and where the girl goes, is often not there when the illusion begins.

b
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Anybody can say,who is autorised builder of this illusion? Thanks,Serg.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New "Origami" from Pendragons??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL