The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with HDTV Connection with DVD/VCR player (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Been through the manuals for both my HDTV and the DVD/VCR player/recorder. Got a Phillips HDTV and a Samsung DVD/VCR player/recorder.

I simply cannot get a DVD or video cassette to record from the TV.

I can watch both DVDs and video cassettes on the TV using the device.

I can dub from video cassette to DVD, and DVDto videocassette successfully, using the device.

I just cannot record (using either a cassette or DVD) from the TV. It tries, but the result is a black screen. The DVD menu does show that something has been recorded, but again, the only thing to see is a black screen.

Tried using HDMI, and RCA (red, yellow, white) cables. Have made multiple attempts connecting the recorder to both the TV and the Cable Box.

Does anyone see anything obvious I might be missing? Have spent the better part of today and yesterday on this, and am out of ideas.

Thanks for any help -
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Having the DVD/VCR connected to the TV only sends the connection that way. If you want to record from the TV, you'll need to have RCA cables plugged into the output on the TV. Since it's HD, I doubt it would have any though. Should it have it, that's what you would need to do. Run your RCA cables from the output on the TV to the input on your VCR.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I had done that before (I have some RCA cables on hand to use). Didn't work. The manual shows many ways of connecting the DVD/VCR to the TV or Cable Box. Both your method, and just using the HDMI cable are mentioned.

I'll keep working - got to be a solution somewhere!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Might this be a (expletive deleted) digital rights management issue? HD signal unrecordable? Cause of course everybody's a pirate, you know.

Also, are you tring to record a HD signal to a non-HD recorder?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
No, it is an HD recorder. I tried a non-HD channel, and it did not work.

This is so strange. I'm not an expert at this, but this certainly isn't my first time around the block connecting these devices.

Still haven't been able to get it. The device plays fine, and dubs within itself, so I don't think there is a mechanical issue.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
On the back of your cable box should be some kind of output (HDMI, RCA, or Coax). On your recorder there should be some type of input (HDMI, RCA, or Coax). Run either HDMI, RCA, or Coax cables to connect and you should be able to record whatever channel your cable box is set to.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
You know, that is exactly what I have done. I have used HDMI and RCA. I have gone between the device and my TV, and my device and the cable box. I'm stumped!
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
On the recorder you may have to select the correct input by pressing a button on the remote or some other way.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, I have tried this. But will try again - you never know!

Thanks for your help!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Enough of this nonsense, I'll tell you what to do. Go to a store that has it and beg the guy to show you how it is hooked up, that is how I do it. I have a super mega dvd/video/HDDDTV/EIEIO thingy sitting on my counter right now and I can make the movie run and that is about it. When I tried to look up info on the dang thing I downloaded a virus....it looks cool though.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Hook it up to something else, something simple that you know works, and see if it still refuses to record. That might narrow down where the issue lies.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, I do have another, older, VCR (that does work). I thought about checking with that today, but just have not got around to it yet. I'll check there and report back. Just haven't had time today to get around on that one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with HDTV Connection with DVD/VCR player (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL