The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steffan Soule's "Hourglass" illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear members,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me who built Steffan Soule's Hourglass illusion. I'd appreciate your help.

Regards,

D
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Is this the one on the first page of MagicAuction?? (Illusions Known Builder)

Blair
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Does there really need to be more than one of these in the world?

You can e-mail him yourself and ask him magic@steffansoule.com

I doubt he'll tell you though as he is (rightfully so) rather possesive of this particular illusion
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Payne, is Steffan selling his?

B
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Dear Blair,

It's not but thanks for the link.

Dear Payne,

I love the aesthetics of the prop, and the craftsmanship looks awesome. I am asking because I have had something in mind for a long time concerning an illusion involving a huge hourglass to be found in one of the Goldstone Locked Books.

Thanks for the contact information. I shall get in touch with Mr Soule.

Regards,

D
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
David,

I would put money on Willie Kennedy

Regards

Mark
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 19:56, Blair Marshall wrote:
Payne, is Steffan selling his?

B

I doubt it. I'm sure it would feel like selling a child to him.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 19:56, David Goldrake wrote:
Dear Blair,

It's not but thanks for the link.

Dear Payne,

I love the aesthetics of the prop, and the craftsmanship looks awesome. I am asking because I have had something in mind for a long time concerning an illusion involving a huge hourglass to be found in one of the Goldstone Locked Books.

Thanks for the contact information. I shall get in touch with Mr Soule.

Regards,

D

It's an interesting illusion for sure. The last time I saw it it was a little worse for wear. The Plexiglas was pretty beat up by the balls and was getting foggy and difficult to see through. If you built something similar you'll want to look into some way to alleviate this if you're going to be using it a lot.

It was always kind of awkward to get into as well and I thought it needed a better way to get into it. Other than that it is a great one of a kind illusion that always played quite well.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Dear Payne,

Thank you for your time. I have just e-mailed Mr Soule. Again, I am interested in the prop, not his effect or presentation. Smile

Regards,

D
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I used to work in Steffan's show, and know that prop inside and out. It was not built by a magic builder, it was built by a pro theatrical scenic shop. It was originally constructed for a play, Still LIfe With Iris.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Brian, if I am not mistaken, there were several illusions in that play and there was a write-up of it in a magic magazine wasn't there???

Blair
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Yes, Seattle Children's Theatre set builders made the Hourglass, as well as a killer effect, Puzzle Blocks, and another: Giant Sea Shells -- involving two seashells that were the size of VW Bugs. All three are original illusions.

I am aware of three other Hourglass effects in existence. His idea was first (not saying it was built first), and is, in my opinion, way cooler than the others...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

So then in actual fact these hourglasses were built by a production company and unlike magic builders there would have been no "performance rights" sold with them. etc.

Do you remember which magazine did the write-up? I remember seeing photos.

Blair
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
It was in Magic, if my memory serves me correctly.

It was built in just a typical union set shop....but don't discount it... it was still very, very expensive. several tens of thousands. No, there were no performance rights "sold"....but they're implied given the fact that he came up w/ an Hourglass FIRST. It was on paper 14-16 years before it was built. This definitely should remain exclusive to him. Blair, did you have an interest in performing it?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

No, not in performing it. I do not know the effect with this one, but I do believe an hourglass has been used before in a magic illusion.

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steffan Soule's "Hourglass" illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL