The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I just received my new SBL Worker's Chop Cup in copper from RnT2. Beautiful cup, nice weight and size. It came with a bag but no balls.

Can anyone tell me their opinions about the best chop balls available?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
The chopped balls made by RNT2 are adjustable, so you can set it to how much
"hold" you would like.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I've been wanting to order some from RNT2 but they haven't returned my emails. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
They've not responded to my inquiries, either. (I know they're busy etc. but it would be courteous and just plain old fashioned good business to respond to established customers in a timely manner...) Smile

This has made me leary of ordering any other "special liquidation" pieces...)

Julie
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
This is really a gem of a little cup. It's a little devil, actually, with a unique "vibe" to it.

I love it, beautiful, solid, heavy brushed copper and its a quality piece. It's about 1/2 an inch or so shorter than my original Rings n Things Don Alan Chop cup, and the gaffus in this new cup is VERY strong.

So strong, in fact, that I'm thinking that it will need special chop cup balls. I need to make sure I can use this chop cup and the correct set of chop cups balls that work perfectly with it so I can easily and silently dislodge the ball when I need to without any effort, and ideally without making a sound.

When I put my Mike Rogers chop mini baseball in the cup....it pretty well stayed put! Same thing happend when I put my Don Alan Chop ball in the cup..it pretty well stayed put, too! Both the Mike Rogers and the Don Alan balls needed a hefty put down to dislodge those chop balls, and I don't like that. In my opinion, the put down has to happen effortlessly and non-chalantly in order to make this trick work correctly.

As I said, the gaffus in this SBL Copper Worker's Chop Cup is VERY STRONG.

AS a matter of fact, this chop cup's gaffus is stronger than any other chop cup I have ever seen!!!

So, I'm really open here to suggestions, please. The idea of "adjustable" chop balls appeals to me, but I have no experience at all with these.

Can anyone who does chime in?

Also, just my 2 cents worth and a guess on my part, but perhaps Rings n Things 2 seems unresponsive right now because they're probably WORKING THEIR BUTTS OFF FILLING ORDERS!

This is a good thing, and they have shipped to me promptly (within a week) when I have ordered from them Online. They really have good deals going on and not a lot of time left to order from them so I'm sure they are really, really busy.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless

Get a set of the beautiful monkey fist balls made by Josh Riel that include a "special" ball in the set! Seems that a request for "special" only would be simple enough!
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
I have noticed the same thing with my Short Don Alan cup from RNT. Absolutely wonderful cup, but very strong gaff. Even adjusting the RNT ball to it's weakest still requires quite a bang.
Let me know how your search goes.

BTW: RNT2's office is closed till Jan. 10th.
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
I just got the SBl Aluminum Strolling Chop Cup. Its very nice its my fist cup. It was supposed to come with crochet balls, load balls a shot glass a silk and a bag. I didn't receive anything but the cup. An when I checked there site the price went up $20. Anyone having this problem.

Jeremy
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Hmmmmmmm...

Interesting.

The SBL Copper worker's cup I bought went up by ten bucks. I bought mine for $34.95 a week ago.

Jconstans......tell me please about the adjustable RNT ball. How well does it work and how easy is it to adjust and how do you adjust it?

You can send me a private message if you'd like.

And I'm still interested in hearing from anyone with experience working with adjustable chop balls.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I have used found RNT II's chopped balls to be quite 'clingy' in the past.
I adjusted them and after a bit of trial & error I got them to work as I wanted.
The process of adjusting them is really quite easy.
"But there isn't a door"
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
I really like the gaffed balls and service of Francois Danis and his wife Pascaline who makes the balls. Good prices and excellent service. http://danis-magic.com/cariboost1/crbst_2.html.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Bad link
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I'm hoping to get a set of balls for my chromed SBL chop cup from RnT2 soon. It seems like a very practical idea to be able to adjust the strength of the magnet for use with different cups. I'm looking forward to getting them.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
It's been mentioned that they will continue to offer the ball sets even when they no longer sell cups.
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I have a Don Alan Stubby chop cup from RnT 2. The 1 inch balls that came with it are great. I adjusted the gaff so I just barely have to set the cup down for the "magic" to happen. No "slamming" or setting down hard at all.

The balls are made of maple wood and covered in nice tight crochet. Makes cleaning them really easy. The gaff is really easy to adjust to what ever strength you prefer. They are heavier than the cork balls I've gotten with other chop cups but I prefer a heavier ball. When shaking the cup people can hear the ball much better than cork.

If you perform on a hard surface you may get a bit of "talking" when you set the cup down but a nice close up pad and a little background noise covers that quite well. When I perform on a hard surface I just make sure to "ad lib" something at the right times and everything goes quite well.

I like the balls from RnT 2. They should last me a very long time. I ordered a few extra sets in 1 1/4 inch just in case.

I plan on getting a few sets from other ball makers but for right now my RnT's are working great.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Yeah I agree Mysto, the RNT adjustable's are the bomb! It took me a few mins. to get it just right but once I did it was heaven! I do have several other "special" balls that I like for different reasons but I think overall I prefer the adjustable best!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The best cup that I have found is the Johnson. It dislodges so easily, but has a strong hold. You don't have to BANG the cup on the table to dislodge it though.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It seems I've never developed the "touch" to work the Chop Cup properly, so I've opted for the PK ring method. Trouble is, most balls aren't nearly strong enough as they need to be m**** gaffed instead of just shimmed. I was hoping that RNT2 would release a set of balls like this to complete their product line offerings, but I guess it's too late now.

Unlesss...

Epiphany, are you reading this? I heard rumors that balls will continue to be made but I haven't heard this from you. It would take a simple change in materials to make balls like this if you guys are interested.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Dave,

Here is a quote from Epiphany "Despite the closing of the company, my mother will continue to make custom sets of balls for people." This is from the topic Ball Size for RNT2 ... Right here in Ever So Sleightly.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL