The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Juliana Chen Card Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

juggernaut187
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of juggernaut187
I'm just getting to card manipulation (been practicing my fingers off for like six months and making pretty good progress). I saw a video of Juliana Chen on youtube preforming on World Greatest Magic some years ago where she does this single card production that just sort of appears at her fingertips. She does it at rapid speed, amazing stuff. I was just wondering if her DVD on Card Shooting explains the technique on that single production.
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Yes it also teach the single card producation. and it's almost the same selight to do it .

but it takes a lot of practice I still learning it .

Daniel.G
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I *think* I read somewhere on the description of the video you need to use super thin cards (like the ones she sells) if you want any success in performing her productions. So forget about Bee cards. Sounds expensive.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
What the?

the production you're speaking of is called the "tenkai" production and you can learn it from Jeff McBride's "the art of card manipulation" DVDs, they're really good.

Bees are perfect for manipulation, but Juliana chen has her own brand of cards (smaller bridge sized, and thin) so if you have small hands you may need to try that, but really, for practice, just try bees!
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Trashmanf - Julianna Chen's grip on the cards is different to the Tenkai.

I can't explain it in words ... it is not only difficult to master, but difficult to explain without seeing her actually do it (on the video).

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The closest I can compare this to is the Ken Brookes single production - on steroids! The DVD is beautiful to watch and she makes the single productions look so darn easy; but then you pick up a deck of cards and you see how insane her moves actually are. YIKES!!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Ken, I couldn't agree more!

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
juggernaut187
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of juggernaut187
I use pretty thin cards for manipulation anyways -- Murphy's. Although, I find them a little hard to fan, and I'm not big on fanning powder (I sort of have an allergic reaction to something in it and it makes my hands swells up). I'm considering trying to wax cards to see if that helps, but as of now, I just use bridge size bikes for split fans with one of the flesh colored manipulation cards on the back of the deck for cover. Works fine for me.

I went ahead and ordered the DVD and should get it in a week or so. I have no doubt that what Ken says is true -- she'll make it look easy and I'll end up picking up cards off my bed for weeks until I get it down. Still, should be fun -- thanks guys.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
If you do a search on youtube for Juliana Chen you will find a video of her teaching a bunch of kids at "hogwarts" her card productions. It's pretty quick and not much detail but it definitely gives you and idea of how she does her card productions.
Dave A.
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Dave A.
I believe that production is called the "Bent card production" on Jeff Sheridan's card manipulation DVD. He just shows it in a few seconds because he doesn't like the way it ruins the cards. I just tried shooting cards out of that grip and I got good distance on the first try! I think it's a bit easier than the technique used for shooting the cards out with the Sheridan/Lane production. How she does it with so many cards held in that grip is the real magic.
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Wow she is awesome. The best part is at the end when she shoots the cards.
juggernaut187
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of juggernaut187
Learning the production right now. Took some time, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. The hardest part is keeping the cards from springing out of my hands.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4985 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Juliana, like Shoot Ogawa practices probably more hours per day than you are awake. She has INCRDIBLY STRONG HANDS AND FINGERS. It comes from her Chinese Acrobat training regimen.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Juliana Chen Card Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL