The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » OK, I'm finally tipping my best rope move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks, I will be taking it off of youtube to keep it for magicians only. Thanks to my ropefriend (or is it ropefiend!) for helping me with the posting and offering his site (above).

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 5:43pm
It has been deleted from You Tube.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Thanks for sharing this Pete! I'd been having some problems getting into PN easily from a single piece of rope; your video made it crystal clear. And a MUCH cleaner way to go into C&R (less fiddling needed).
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Glad to be of service. This is the move I've been using for AT LEAST 50 YEARS and only showed it a few times to magicians. Since I'm basically retired now, I thought I would share it here.
David Bond
View Profile
Regular user
Maple Valley, WA
107 Posts

Profile of David Bond
Thanks Pete,

I've been using it for almost 50 years, since I saw it in Tarbell volume 2. I'm really surprised that it hasn't appeared in more books.

- David Bond

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 7:01pm
I should have added that it is only as a cut and restore in Tarbell. Professor's nightmare isn't in Tarbell.

- David Bond
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
Thanks Mr. Biro

Very clear and natural move.

Marcelo
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Just so new readers can see the link without scrolling up again, its at Pete's Blog
http://petebiro.blogspot.com
or this can also be seen at:
http://stagetricks.com/biro/peterope.html
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 21:20, magicians wrote:
Just so new readers can see the link without scrolling up again, its at Pete's Blog
http://petebiro.blogspot.com

WOW...very interesting photos

Marcelo
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
50 years! Pete, you don't look a day over 50 years old.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Very Nice Pete!
Thank You

By the way, Hop-Along-Pete, that I purchased from Magic Inc. eons ago (and it survived my flooded basement) is still alive and kickin!
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hop-A-Long-Pete ... "the San Francisco Treat" as Fran used to call me... even tho' I was from Oakland...

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 2:26am
David: I just dug out Tarbell 2 and see the move is much the same for the start... Harlan doesn't credit anyone though. I had not yet gotten any copies of the Tarbell course when the move was stumbled on fooling around with rope. I just never like the old 'bring up the loop' handling.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Very nice Pete. When can we expect a complete book or video of all these gems?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Pete, that was EXCELLENT!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You can leave comments on the blog. Look under the video clip, by pressing "comments".

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 7:25am
This thread came about due to a discussion Pete and I had about the DC cut and restored method using a scissor to pick up the loop. I told Pete, I had a method for a similar pickup that didn't use a loop held in the hand. So, we compared methods.
see video:
http://stagetricks.com/professor/cr.html
He then posted his version he learned 50 years ago, which I love.
Mine was 31 years ago from my original lecture which includes the stretch subtlety. The method is available on PM request.

Quote:
On 2009-01-04 17:55, Trekdad wrote:
Thanks for sharing this Pete! I'd been having some problems getting into PN easily from a single piece of rope; your video made it crystal clear. And a MUCH cleaner way to go into C&R (less fiddling needed).

Here's Whit Haydn doing his professor's cut pickup move in a routine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI
Slight difference on the moves. Very subtle way to get the sizes for PN.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I wonder... is there a video clip of Slydini's get-ready for PN? I know that Fred Kaps used it.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Pete, as Wylie Coyote would say, genius, pure genius...
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The move I use is from Tarbell, the Cut and Restored Turban, if I remember correctly.

Slydini's move was designed to eliminate the "sizing" of the ropes which both Pete's and the Turban move require--which could not actually work if the arrangement was the way the magician is asking the audience to believe it was.

I don't think even astute observers notice this discrepancy, however, and that this is a case where we are "running when not being chased."

Since Slydini's move, which I have used, is a little too "fussy" and requires you to "accidently" drop the rope and pick it up again, I opted for the Turban move.

I like Pete's move, though, and would prefer it to the Slydini move.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks Whit... I consider your Mongolian Pop Knot routine one of the best all time rope routines. Right up there with Jay Marshall's 2 slot key ring.

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 4:58pm
You know, thinking a bit more... I think from now on when anyone asks for advice, I'm going to say, "Look in Tarbell".
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 07:25, magicians wrote:
This thread came about due to a discussion Pete and I had about the DC cut and restored method using a scissor to pick up the loop. I told Pete, I had a method for a similar pickup that didn't use a loop held in the hand. So, we compared methods.
see video:
http://stagetricks.com/professor/cr.html
He then posted his version he learned 50 years ago, which I love.
Mine was 31 years ago from my original lecture which includes the stretch subtlety. The method is available on PM request.

Thanks magicians for the material, I checked it out...I loved the stretch subtlety. Between Pete and you...thanks for sharing your knowledge with us...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » OK, I'm finally tipping my best rope move (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL