The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » OK, I'm finally tipping my best rope move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2678 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 17:33, Spellbinder wrote:
I have been watching this thread with interest, wondering if anyone besides myself recognizes Ted Collins' ACTUAL Panama Rope cut in what Pete is demonstrating... NOT the move that is described in Tarbell, but the one that Ted actually used himself, and taught to those of us who were his students. Ted also collaborated with Ed Mishell, who illustrated some of Ted's books and manuscripts, and that may be where Ed picked it up. I learned it from Ted in the late 50's, and I always assumed from his stories that it was something he invented while he was stationed in Panama (hence the name) as a serviceman, putting it back to the forties. The only part that Ted did differently from Pete was to pick up the hanging rope end and place it next to the "center loop" and the other end, so he could show the rope from both sides, back and front, in a very convincing way that made you swear he was cutting the rope in half even if you were standing right next to him.

Spellbinder: you beat me to the post - I haven't been out here that much lately.
The Collin's C&R method appears(demo, not taught) on a rope dvd he sells. Yet to me the method on that dvd is not the same as Petes method(which is the same as Tarbell, and similar to what is in Wilson's Complete course, and also in Daryls Rope Magic, V2)); similar, but I think Collins method looks better! It doesn't have the initial "cross" that is seen in the Petes/Tarbell/ Magician's Cut and Restore method

Spellbinder, if you think they are the same, then we should talk.

John
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My best rope trick is "the vishnu rope mystery" invented by Bob Ellis, and perfected by Shigeo Takagi. The Bob Ellis trick is in the Karl Fulves book, and the Shigeo Takagi technique was shown to me by "the godfather" Vinny Marini. This trick is sooooo good that it will fool most magicians.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Anyone hip to the "Idiot Rope Trick" (I think it was sold by Clare Cummings.)?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
John: You know I love to talk and enjoy discussing rope magic with you anytime, but just to make it clear what I was trying to say, was that I saw the "essence" in Pete's move is similar to the "essence" of Ted Collins' move. Not that they are the same, but are related. I came across an advertisement for Mecca Magic (Ted Collins' store) in a 1949 "Conjurer's Magazine" where Ted bundled and sold the "Original Panama Rope" instructions, which are essentially the same as in Tarbell, along with his "Improved Panama Rope" which describes and illustrates with line drawings the actual method he used, and also bundles in the "4 to 1 Rope Miracle" as a sort of bonus, which is what Ted always did at the start of his own Panama Rope routine.

I am a few days away from having my "Panama Rope History," which is also a tribute to Ted, ready for publication. It will be in my Mini-Mysteries section for the price of $3.00 (which is the same price you would have paid for it back in 1949... except that Ted threw in some rope all tied up and ready to perform). Come to think of it, I was the one who tied up the rope and threw it into the envelopes, because that was my job at Mecca Magic back then... when I wasn't sweeping the floor or demonstrating magic.

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 2:52am
Jim Gerrish performs the Panama Rope Mystery on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFO3PoeLHNc

This is from the Wiz Kid's Rope Magic DVD. It's a really crappy quality because it was converted from an old VHS tape that had been kept under Gerrish's porch for years before it was rediscovered and made into a DVD. But you can get an idea of how the Tarbell explanation of the Panama Rope differs from the way Ted Collins and his students (one of whom was Jim Gerrish) performed it. You can buy the Wiz Kid training DVD either from my site or from the site of the Wiz Kids ( http://www.wizkidzinc.com ). All proceeds from sales go to the non-profit organization "Wiz Kids, Inc.", no matter where you buy it.

You should be able to see what I meant about Pete's move being related to Ted Collins' center cut.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Video is removed?

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 1:21pm
It's back!
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2678 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 17:57, Spellbinder wrote:
John: You know I love to talk and enjoy discussing rope magic with you anytime, but just to make it clear what I was trying to say, was that I saw the "essence" in Pete's move is similar to the "essence" of Ted Collins' move. Not that they are the same, but are related.

Yes, I agree.
I do think Collin's is better, it eliminates the initial crossing of the ropes. Yet, both methods are suffer from that it may not clearly look like the middle of the rope (to the spectator), compared to the more traditional move of bringing the middle up to the hands - hence the feint that Jim did, and it really fooled me the first (several) times I looked at it.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Uncle Pete:

Nice rope move!

It's funny that in the background of the video you can see that your books are secured with a bungee cord, so the viewer knows you must be in Southern California Smile

I hope I can get out to LA again this year, so we can meet up!

Levent
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Let me add my thanks Pete. I used this move today for the first time. I have never done a rope routine before, but I liked the move so much, and it fit me so much, I have been working on adding a C&R to my bd show.

The C&R worked well on the adults, not so well on the 4 year olds, but for this trick I was targeting the adults.

I got jaw drops and whispers from the adults. Perfect!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Levent... yes, Bungee cord... my wife doesn't want books flying around the room when the "Big One" hits...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Professor Spellbinder
A picture is worth a thousand words. I learned that trick from Dick Gustafson 20 years ago, but he called it the triple pop knot.

Michael Finney does a variation of this trick, but he uses a different knot.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Just a follow-up to let you know that we have published "The REAL Panama Rope Mystery" in the Mini-Mysteries section of my site. There is a review of the e-Book from Stephen Christopher in the E-Book Review thread of the "Good, Bad and Garbage" section of this forum. The review is now also posted on my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 02:24, Pete Biro wrote:
Hop-A-Long-Pete ... "the San Francisco Treat" as Fran used to call me... even tho' I was from Oakland...

Pete, I did not know you were from Oakland. Are you a Raiders fan? I have been a die-hard Oakland Raiders fanatic since I was a little boy.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A Raider fan since birth. My babysitter was the daughter of the man that owns the Raiders. Bob Albo (MD), is a magic pal, and he's the Raider's chief medical officer.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 12:23am
Birth of the team that is.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 00:23, Pete Biro wrote:
Birth of the team that is.

LOL! I thought you were born a little before 1960! Smile

Do you mean your babysitter was Al Davis' daughter? If so, all I can say is....WOW! I am a long-time fan and admirer of Mr. Davis. I went to his Hall Of Fame induction ceremony in Akron, Ohio and got to meet him. That was the greatest day ever for a Raider's fan. I met so many of my childhood hero-football players that day. I got a bunch of autographs, and had the time of my life.

Regan
Mister Mystery
stephen secret
View Profile
New user
mpls.
67 Posts

Profile of stephen secret
Thank you pete

I'll be using this move for sure.
sincerely, secret
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
577 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Thanks for reminding me about this move and thank you for sharing your wisdom.

I think another duplicated reference to this can be found in the 1989 notes for Joe Riding's "Roped In" routine. It is described within the routine and there are also fairly comprehensive diagrams of the 'move' as well, but unfortunately not credited, so I can't say where it was derived from.

Kind regards.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Many minds think of the same things... can't be helped.

egan: BTW Al Davis was not the owner of the Raiders. It was the McGaw Family. Davis was/is a managing partner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » OK, I'm finally tipping my best rope move (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL