The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » REEL MAGIC MAGAZINE - TV For Magicians » » So why don't you get reel magic?. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Redwulfe
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Redwulfe
I picked up the first couple of issues when I saw them come out. and I really enjoyed them. I stopped getting them because my shelves are getting to cluttered with stuff. My magic Props and DVDs and Books and such. I even stopped picking up Genii and Magic magazine for the same reason. Recently I have been wishing to go to all digital on my iPad so I ripped my DVDs and bought digital copies of what books I could. Reel magic unfortunately does not rip will it breaks up into a ton of individual files so I never picked any more up. Magic is now all digital and so is genii so I picked them back up and I found out the reel magic is now doing a digital copy on there disks which makes me want to pick it up again as well. The only thing I wish for now is digital back issues that I may purchase, or digital only copies that get downloaded in iTunes or in an App like Magic magazines app.

One can only dream,
Red
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 22:35, Kozmo wrote:
Test

Rats! I didn't study and I don't have a Number Two pencil!

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
On every Reel Magic since the Garcia issue there is a video file on the disc that can be transfered to your lap top or smart phone....

Were also working on making a GOOD decision on how we want to make Reel Magic available via download or streaming....
Redwulfe
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Redwulfe
WOW, that would be even better for me.

Thanks,
Red
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
I would like to see
History of some tricks,
collectors section, may be interview one or two collectors of specific items such as cups, and showcase their collections
Kids magic section

Thanks
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
There is a kid's magic section by David Kaye (Silly Billy).
Some of the featured interviews - such as Mike Caveney, also showcase their collection and describe some history.
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I was sent an issue from a magic supplier as an appeasement gift for hosing my order. I was angry with the company and figured that this cheesy disk was some chintzy one-off chinese junk. WELL it was issue #11, and it really made an impact on my philosophy and gave me two wonderful card effects from John Armstrong himself. Plus the other goodies . . . I watch it every couple or three weeks for inspiration until I get some more :o) When the budget permits, I'll subscribe AND work out getting the back issues.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Well, I can tell you why I do get Reel magic. Shortly before my initial subscription expired, I lost my job. Kozmo sent out an email to everyone in the database who had previously subscribed but had not renewed their subscriptions, asking what could be done to bring them back (much like the feedback he's seeking here).

I said, quite plainfully, that I love Reel Magic and that because of the loss of work, I needed to curtail expenses. Within the hour, I received a reply from Kozmo expressing his sympathies and offering a free issue of my choice.

Needless to say, I'll be a subscriber for as long as Reel Magic is around. (More happily, I'm employed once more and today my contract has been extended another year).

Thanks for the wonderful service, Koz!
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
I don't see why anybody would not get reel magic. This is great. When you subscribe you get hours and hours of magic delivered to your house. Interviews, columns, reviews. I really don't see why people wouldn't get this. I just watched most of my first Reel Magic DVD and it is great. It is entertaining and interesting. Even for someone who doesn't like card magic like me reel magic is great. I can't wait for the next issue. Thank you Kozmo
From,
Henri
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
By the way, when does the next issue come? I saw you had a flood, so a little late is okay.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
It should be out early next week.... more info to follow
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Quote:
On 2009-12-30 07:03, Martello wrote:
Iv'e been a subscriber for more than a year now and have come to the conclusion that I am a bit bored with the content of this "magazine". Surely they can come up with content that is other than coins and cards. I am so sick and tired of lectures on card handling and coin tricks that the DVD usually sits among my pile of "real" magic magazines that need more than a DVD player to access the information. Granted, the interviews are informative and often interesting, but I can read an interview just as simply and do not have to scan a DVD for a "gem" of information that I may want to bookmark.
As I stated in a facebook link, I have never seen anything about silk magic, rope magic, mentalism, flower magic, classic magic, illusions etc.etc.etc.
This magazine could be so much more interesting. How about a "column" on illusion building? Or take a classic trick and do an in depth analysis each month. There is so much more than coins and cards! Inless I see some changes, I for one will not re-subscribe.

Arthur

Halle-f****n-lujah! Someone finally said it! A message to the dorky, maladjusted, move-monkey kids: I know it has become your security blanket but why not try giving your paste boards a rest for Christ sake. At least long enough to try performing some magic with other items like balls, cups, dice, knives, paper currency, rubber bands, silks, sponge, etc. I am to the point where I cannot stand to see card tricks anymore. Most of you are slaughtering this age old art anyway. Might as well keep it limited to cards.

My girlfriend cannot stand Jon Armstrong and that group of card dorks sitting around wearing fedoras (as if they are actually from the hard streets of Chicago) as they debate what she considers the same weak, pathetic, cliche magic that every other magician out there is doing.

I shouldn't complain really. Instead I should be thanking you for making me stand out so much and appear like a diety amongst men when I change the denomination of paper currency from one dollar bills to one hundred dollar bills. Or perform my chop cup routine and produce full-sized lemons. One of which yielding a signed dollar bill that was burned minutes before the chop cup performance began. Or when I cause borrowed, signed quarters to visibly melt before the eyes of my spectators and fall into their waiting hands to keep as a unique and permanently altered souvenior. Or when I have my spectator's write the name of a person dear to them on a sticky note, fold it up, burn it, and have them send the name to me telepathically while staring into my eyes. You all make it that much easier for me. Just keep showing off your double-lifts and passes to each other and keep finding people's cards if you even perform in the real world Smile

I think it should be called Card Magic Quarterly. The only columns I enjoy anymore are Silly Billy's, David Regal's, Simon Lovell's, and the featured interviewers really. The rest of the disc is a big stroke. Quit catering to the card dork kids that are probably ripping this publication off anyway and downloading it to the iPod their mommies bought them and start listening to and focusing on the performing professionals that are legitimately paying for their subscriptions.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I haerd this same conversation with mike close about mum. The problem is, there simply is not a lot of magic being done out there that's not cards or coins. This is what magicians do and I agree with you. Tell me who's doing magic out there that's not coins and cards. We look hard to find it and will continue. This is a conversation I had recently with Andrew Pinard about finding magic that's not cards and coins

And trust me I don't pander to kids ever. I don't pander to anyone ever actually.
however do care about what subscribers think.

However every once in a while you get a nice gem in those move monkeys which are the tools to create magic.

Go to a magic convention and what do you see..... Cards cards cards....I hate card tricks, hate card tricks. I'm feeling your pain but that's what there is. We do what we van do

I will miss you

kHz

Sorry you wont be coming back.

Goodly kin your magical life

kHz
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I understand Koz. Personally, I will never stop subscribing as long as you keep publishing because it is, indeed, unique and the best value for the money. Over the years it has become something we look forward to receiving because the columns that we enjoy are just that good. I was just ranting and really just expressing my disgust with the state of the magic community and lack of individuality and creativity more than the publication. Just some food for thought for whatever it is worth. We love you.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I agree with you brother. We try trust me on that. But maybe I just need to try harder. We try to have at least one effect in each issue that's not card or coins.
I would love to get a columnist who could focus on other things. Roth does coins, Armstrong does cards (most of the time) So someone who does something else each issue.

Also look for a big name mentalist to grace the magazine soon.

Koz
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
By the way, we own every wonderfully entertaining issue from the very beginning. I still remember us freaking out when we saw Danny's advertisement for his Greed DVD which was only available as a manuscript at convention tables a short time before. Another thing we love are the bloopers at the end of the issues which always have us rolling in stitches. Absolutely love David Regal, Simon Lovell, and David McKay. I appreciate their intellectually stimulating and thought provoking approach to the art of magic. Of course, the featured interviews are always the icing on the cake.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Thanks....

koz
GaryLee
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of GaryLee
Quote:
On 2012-01-06 21:46, Kozmo wrote:
I haerd this same conversation with mike close about mum. The problem is, there simply is not a lot of magic being done out there that's not cards or coins. This is what magicians do and I agree with you. Tell me who's doing magic out there that's not coins and cards. We look hard to find it and will continue. This is a conversation I had recently with Andrew Pinard about finding magic that's not cards and coins

WTF! What about those of us who do stage performances? This is really closed mind thinking. Everyone else is doing coins and cards so you do too? I can't believe what I'm reading.

REEL magic is in danger of loosing it's audience unless changes are made. I'm sick of cards and coins as well, especially when there is tons of stuff that can be covered that hasn't even been touched on yet. It seems maybe it's time for some fresh faces on REEL magic. I for one can do without Jon Armstrong's sessions, and I hate to say this because David is a great person, but maybe it's time to get rid of Silly Billy for another children's entertainer. It almost seems like David puts his segments together in 4 minutes or less. And, I'll have to admit, I don't ever watch Wayne Kawamoto, Choice Cuts. I did at first, and it wasn't my cup of tea. Why the need for two segments that covers reviews? Isn't David Regal's reviews enough.

I also understand that Mr. Kozmo has had some serious flood damage to his home and property. My prayers go out to him and his family.
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
Quote:
On 2012-01-06 18:20, rmendez wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-30 07:03, Martello wrote:
Iv'e been a subscriber for more than a year now and have come to the conclusion that I am a bit bored with the content of this "magazine". Surely they can come up with content that is other than coins and cards. I am so sick and tired of lectures on card handling and coin tricks that the DVD usually sits among my pile of "real" magic magazines that need more than a DVD player to access the information. Granted, the interviews are informative and often interesting, but I can read an interview just as simply and do not have to scan a DVD for a "gem" of information that I may want to bookmark.
As I stated in a facebook link, I have never seen anything about silk magic, rope magic, mentalism, flower magic, classic magic, illusions etc.etc.etc.
This magazine could be so much more interesting. How about a "column" on illusion building? Or take a classic trick and do an in depth analysis each month. There is so much more than coins and cards! Inless I see some changes, I for one will not re-subscribe.

Arthur

Halle-f****n-lujah! Someone finally said it! A message to the dorky, maladjusted, move-monkey kids: I know it has become your security blanket but why not try giving your paste boards a rest for Christ sake. At least long enough to try performing some magic with other items like balls, cups, dice, knives, paper currency, rubber bands, silks, sponge, etc. I am to the point where I cannot stand to see card tricks anymore. Most of you are slaughtering this age old art anyway. Might as well keep it limited to cards.

My girlfriend cannot stand Jon Armstrong and that group of card dorks sitting around wearing fedoras (as if they are actually from the hard streets of Chicago) as they debate what she considers the same weak, pathetic, cliche magic that every other magician out there is doing.

I shouldn't complain really. Instead I should be thanking you for making me stand out so much and appear like a diety amongst men when I change the denomination of paper currency from one dollar bills to one hundred dollar bills. Or perform my chop cup routine and produce full-sized lemons. One of which yielding a signed dollar bill that was burned minutes before the chop cup performance began. Or when I cause borrowed, signed quarters to visibly melt before the eyes of my spectators and fall into their waiting hands to keep as a unique and permanently altered souvenior. Or when I have my spectator's write the name of a person dear to them on a sticky note, fold it up, burn it, and have them send the name to me telepathically while staring into my eyes. You all make it that much easier for me. Just keep showing off your double-lifts and passes to each other and keep finding people's cards if you even perform in the real world Smile

I think it should be called Card Magic Quarterly. The only columns I enjoy anymore are Silly Billy's, David Regal's, Simon Lovell's, and the featured interviewers really. The rest of the disc is a big stroke. Quit catering to the card dork kids that are probably ripping this publication off anyway and downloading it to the iPod their mommies bought them and start listening to and focusing on the performing professionals that are legitimately paying for their subscriptions.

I hate card tricks too, though, I love reel magic and I don't blame Kozmo magic for the card magic craze. I think there are many reasons for this, but I have a question.
Why are there so many card sleights released? Anybody can invent a card trick! I have invented them too!
I was talking about this with another magician recently and we both came up with a reason for this.

He said that all the card crap on theory11, ellusionist, etc. is there to make money off of beginners who don't know about good classic card tricks, though I can't even appreciate those anymore.

I thought that maybe there are some card magi that are just obsessed with learning card sleights and want to learn 100 ways to make a color change. I am not one of those magicians. As a matter of fact few people are, so why are so many sleights released by download and DVD? Couldn't they just put all these sleights in a book instead of charging ten dollars for a bottom control?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
When I got the very first issue, I was thrilled. There was nothing like this. I also worried in time, it would lose its value and just become old hat.

Each issue has been as good or better than the last!

As far as content, if you go to your local club, late night convention sessions, etc. it's almost all cards and coins. I think to keep the interest ( sales ), they have to go with what is popular. In the end, it's a business like any other.

I'd like to see a buskers section. There may not be many buskers that get Reel Magic, but people are fascinated by it and I think would like to see them work and tip their hand on stuff.

Clarke
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » REEL MAGIC MAGAZINE - TV For Magicians » » So why don't you get reel magic?. (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL