The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Will The U.S. Economy Recover? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 09:52, Nosher wrote:
'Brother' Bruce Porteous is a little known god-walloper from New Zealand. He has been predicting various catastrophes about to befall the "Anglo-Saxon nations"(tm) for some time.

The truth comes out!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Steve Mollet! Oh could we talk!! You are someone I can relate to.

Magic Santa <---SPC, TQM, Six Sigma, APICS, Master of the LEAN method yet worked for a company that's idea of LEAN was not being straight up and down.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I hear you.

Steve Mollett <--- KM, RCCA, LEAN, worked with Six-Sigma teams on projects.

Oh, and currently unemployed due to the most recent layoff.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
I admit it, I like it when the super rich are killed or jailed.....

Only time I like to knit.

Destiny
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
You break out the knitting needles, DeFarge, and I'll set up the guillotine.
- Albert Camus
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm unemployed too! Those ungrateful mutha.....oh wait, my company actually left the coast and did offer me a job but the manager who did was insulting so I told him to shove it I'd have another job in a week or so! That was Oct of 2006!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Living entirely on gigs, or other 'ways & means' as well?
- Albert Camus
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 17:04, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 09:52, Nosher wrote:
'Brother' Bruce Porteous is a little known god-walloper from New Zealand. He has been predicting various catastrophes about to befall the "Anglo-Saxon nations"(tm) for some time.

The truth comes out!

Well, there is also a Bruce Porteous that works for Standard life Bank in Scotland and I immediately assumed it was him who wrote that and send an e-mail to an old colleague asking how someone with so much power and intelligence can write something so stupid. The reply was that it must have been another Bruce Porteous and obviously it was.
I take back what I said in my previous post.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 21:56, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm unemployed too! Those ungrateful mutha.....oh wait, my company actually left the coast and did offer me a job but the manager who did was insulting so I told him to shove it I'd have another job in a week or so! That was Oct of 2006!

When I was a typesetter, graphic artist, the company (Artmold-The Action Line) got purchased by another promotional company (Norwood Promotions - *spit*) who told us our identity as an individual company was not in jeopardy! (Start printing out those resumes, guys!) Two years later, Artmold-The Action Line, a Norwood Company was Norwood-The Action Line and when our lease was up, we were told that all the equipment and contracts were being sent to Indiana! If we wanted to, we could apply for permission to move to Indiana if they felt they needed us! Like MagicSanta, I thought; "I'm a trained professional, I can get a job in six months!" 11 months later, on my last unemployment check, Wal*Mart asked me to join them for "the holiday season." I accepted and just recently received my five-year pin! *sigh*
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 17:40, MagicSanta wrote:
Steve Mollet! Oh could we talk!! You are someone I can relate to.

Magic Santa <---SPC, TQM, Six Sigma, APICS, Master of the LEAN method yet worked for a company that's idea of LEAN was not being straight up and down.

TQM god that takes me back quite a few years...
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"IOUSA, an excellent documentary on American debt, taxes, saving and spending. It projects the time until U.S. economic collapse, and explains what we need to do now, to avoid it. David Walker, Comptroller General of the USA, compares US to Rome."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0E-fwdyS-w&NR=1

Roger Ebert's review of the movie, IOUSA

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs....../reviews

Apparently CNN is showing the movie in full later this weekend. Check your listings.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Has the U.S. ever had an economic setback which hasn't brought out the doom-and-gloomers?

At the age of 56, I've lived through too many of these cycles (admittedly the current one being a little scarier than many) to fall prey to this strain of end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it blather.

Fortunately, most of the hysteria whipped up in October by certain controlling people in Washington (again), and unquestioned (once again) by our now-spineless news media, seems to be easing. Maybe it's universal human nature, but the majority of Americans have more than demonstrated themselves over the last eight years to be gullible and easily spooked.

I say don't join the thundering herd. I can almost guarantee you'll end up regretting it.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
How long before someone here repeats the FOX "News" mantra:
"FDR and the New Deal Only Lengthened the Depression..."?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I agree that the end of the world and biblical prophecy talk is unwarranted.

On the other hand, it seems a few people here keep insinuating that all is basically well and that the present financial crisis is just the latest worry of the week.

I'd remind them that this financial crisis story / worry of the week has been ongoing now for more than a year, and it has steadily been growing worse. Already worse than almost anyone (except a very few true contrarians) might have first imagined.

Incidentally, the I.O.U.S.A. movie I mentioned above is from last summer ... BEFORE the recent trillion plus dollar bailouts. Things certainly have not improved.

Anyone see the latest U.S. unemployment news?

---

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US unemployment surged to a 16-year high of 7.2 percent as a deepening recession pushed employers to shed a massive 524,000 jobs in December, capping a yearly loss of 2.6 million, data showed Friday.

The job losses over the course of 2008 were the most in a year since 1945, the Labor Department said. Some 1.9 million were lost in the past four months alone as the credit crisis worsened.

The agency also revised up the number of job losses for the prior two months. The October figure was changed to show a loss of 423,000 jobs from 320,000 and November's data to a loss of 584,000 from 533,000.

The jobless rate, calculated on a separate household survey, climbed to 7.2 percent, the highest since January 1993, from 6.8 percent a month earlier.

---
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 17:38, gaddy wrote:
How long before someone here repeats the FOX "News" mantra:
"FDR and the New Deal Only Lengthened the Depression..."?

Oh let me, whether it is true or not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 17:20, marknem7 wrote:
but the majority of Americans have more than demonstrated themselves over the last eight years to be gullible and easily spooked.

Madoff comes to mind. Be careful who you trust.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
This situation has been coming for awhile. The situation was set up in the 80's so those thinking events in the last eight years is the big problem are naive. You have a combination of the oil industry causing all cost to go up a high percentage compared to what would have been expected w/out their help (note I predicted all the nonsense of the last year). Corporations are using this as an excuse to reduce their work force. Many industries are lost forever and now reside in China and India, thanks to the govt in the US in the 90s. Lastly the media loves this, they are hoping for soup lines and mass suicides. Bad sales and they, the media, are pushing the dooms day angle. It really has no choice but to turn around because people will eventually have to start buying consumer goods again. The economy is a big machine and think of it as different cogs working together and they all don't start grinding away at the same time, one will effect the other until the machine is working again. Listen, I've been out of work for over two years (except for one quarter where I worked for criminals) but I have faith things will come back, I'm hoping for soon, and they will.

Frankly I don't care about big investors who lost money with guys like Madoff. Remember, it takes a bit of larceny in the hearts of the victim before they call fall for the con. I, like most of you, just want to work, earn a living, and hopefully put some away so we don't starve while waiting to die of old age.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The only thing that will prolong this slow grind is if the American people develop a long term memory.

Perhaps the new season of American Idle * will save them from their gaping existence . Smile

*intended.
POOF!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Dude, I forgot American Idol starts again soon!
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 22:48, kregg wrote:
The only thing that will prolong this slow grind is if the American people develop a long term memory.

I agree, we need to develop a, uh, look! something shiny.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Will The U.S. Economy Recover? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL