The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Will The U.S. Economy Recover? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, RNK wrote:
Record- 90 millions Americans not in labor force: http://www.wnd.com/2013/09/record-90-mil......r-force/
You obviously are not taking into account the people who just quit looking for a job because there are none!

Slight decrease in poverty? ROTFLMAO! That's why Gov't assistance of number Americans have increased by millions under Obama.

Here's a more honest assessment of that 90 million figure (which is in line with my previous post):
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

Quote:
Are 90 million Americans not working or not looking for work?

reader recently asked us to check a claim that’s been widely repeated on conservative websites -- that 90 million Americans either aren’t working or aren’t looking for work. Over the past few months, the statistic has been cited by various conservative bloggers, pundits and news outlets.

We thought we’d take a closer look.

Here’s how the calculation is made, using Census Bureau population estimates and employment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

The total U.S. population age 16 and over is at least 243 million. Subtracting the nearly 156 million Americans in the labor force in June 2013 -- that is, those who were either working or looking for work -- leaves 87 million Americans, which is close to 90 million.

However, the 90 million number is padded, since this number includes a lot of Americans who wouldn’t be expected to be working. Specifically:
• People age 16 to 17, who likely are in high school: 9 million

• People who are enrolled in either two- or four-year colleges: 21 million

• People age 65 and older, who have reached retirement age: 40 million people

That means 20 million people are of normal working age, not in college and not working. That’s less than one-quarter the amount repeatedly cited in the blogosphere.

So the 90 million number is exaggerated. Even so, the idea that fewer people are joining the workforce is something that worries economists.

All things being equal, economists like to see more people working because it helps economic growth (though not at the expense of dropping out of school, which can limit future employment opportunities and earnings potential).

To gauge these trends, economists can calculate the labor force participation rate, which is the percentage of the population that is either working or looking for work, and they can calculate the employment to population ratio, which is the percentage of the 16-and-over population that is currently employed. Both statistics generally track each other, but not in lockstep.

So the number of people employed and the number joining the labor force have both increased since the end of the last recession -- but, importantly, these gains haven’t kept pace with the rise in population.

This decline actually started around 2000, but it intensified starting with the most recent recession.

"The trick is to determine how much of the drop represents the impact of a lagging economy, which is worrisome, and how much is due to non-worrisome factors, such as the aging of the adult population," Gary Burtless, an economist at the Brookings Institution, told PolitiFact earlier this year.

As more adults begin moving into retirement age, the percentage of Americans who work is bound to decline. And that’s been happening in a big way as the baby boomers age. Burtless has determined that the two employment ratios would have fallen in recent years just on the basis of aging, even if there had been no recession. But the age-related decline has been worsened by high unemployment rates during the recession.

Most troubling, economists say, is the decline among the core working ages of 25 to 55. In addition, the tight job market has convinced more people to opt out of the labor market, perhaps by becoming students or stay-at-home parents.

The key to describing the employment situation is to make sure you’re using the best possible statistics. "It’s important not to downplay the seriousness of the decline, while still getting the numbers right," said Tara Sinclair, a George Washington University economist.

Our ruling

Bloggers and pundits have said that 90 million Americans either aren’t working or aren’t looking for work. That’s a real number, but it includes high schoolers, college students and retirement-age Americans, leaving perhaps 20 million a better approximation. We rate the claim Mostly False.

And government "assistance" has fallen sharply since the huge spike that occurred during the recession of '09:
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/welfare_spending

And by the way, isn't that one of the things we want from our government - to "assist" us in times of need? Most of those people who are unemployed and receiving benefits are merely getting back what they paid into the system. I'm working and gladly paying taxes to contribute to this safety net knowing that if I was ever unfortunate enough to become unemployed myself I wouldn't starve between jobs (in fact, I HAVE been unemployed and I am thankful that my unemployment benefits saw me through some tough times).

Good news though; in 2015 welfare spending is only 7% of the total budget compared to 11% of the total budget in 2008:
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year......#usgs302

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
And in an effort to not further fuel the Slim King Troll machine, I am retiring from this thread.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Fact .. Millions of people have lost their homes in the last 6 years ... Disprove that fact and we will move along!!!!
No double talk .. just prove that they haven't or agree.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Please prove that 5% unemployment somehow related to 94 million people unemployed. It's a lie. Five percent is only 16 million people.....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You do know what it is 5% of right?

It is not based on every man woman and child in the country.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Fact .. Millions of people have lost their homes in the last 6 years ... Disprove that fact and we will move along!!!!
No double talk .. just prove that they haven't or agree.

You're making the claim. How about you prove that they have?

You do understand that the economy overall can improve while some people are still unemployed, no?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
The interesting question is for whom has the economy improved? For whom has it worsened? To speak of "The Economy" as if it were one thing for all people is an obfuscating way of describing monetary relationships in this society.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:

Yes I do ... That's why it's such a huge LIE when they say ..."Unemployment is down to 5%!" .. Total BS!!!!!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:

Yes I do ... That's why it's such a huge LIE when they say ..."Unemployment is down to 5%!" .. Total BS!!!!!

It's not a lie; it's a well-understood statistic.

If you're ignorant about how it's calculated, that's your fault, not the fault of the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If it is a huge LIE then show us the correct calculations.

This should be great.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, R.S. wrote:
And in an effort to not further fuel the Slim King Troll machine, I am retiring from this thread.

Ron

You are indeed a wise man, Ron.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, landmark wrote:
The interesting question is for whom has the economy improved? For whom has it worsened? To speak of "The Economy" as if it were one thing for all people is an obfuscating way of describing monetary relationships in this society.

It's been especially salient in this recovery.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2009, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm unemployed too! Those ungrateful mutha.....oh wait, my company actually left the coast and did offer me a job but the manager who did was insulting so I told him to shove it I'd have another job in a week or so! That was Oct of 2006!

When Art-Mold was ''liquidated'' back in 2003, they offered to let us ask if we could transfer to the main office somewhere in a small town in the mid-West. I thought ''I'm a trained professional typesetter with 20-plus years experience, I'll be fine.'' 11 months of being told I was ''too qualified'' and ''we really need someone more trainable,'' Wal-Mart offered me something for the ''holiday season and I snapped at it. 12 years later, I'm still here.
Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:

This should be great.

There are 94 million American out of work/unemployed. Is that 5%? Or is that the number of those who can still collect unemployment benefits?
Think danny... It's not that hard...ROTFLMAO

If everyone lost their job for more than 2 years the unemployment number of people applying for benefits would have dwindled to ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!
And the IDIOTS would claim .. NO UNEMPLOYMENT ....
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:

This should be great.

There are 94 million American out of work/unemployed. Is that 5%? Or is that the number of those who can still collect unemployment benefits?

If everyone lost their job for more than 2 years the unemployment number of people applying for benefits would have dwindled to ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!

No, they wouldn't.

You clearly don't understand how the unemployment rate is calculated.

You might want to correct your ignorance.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:

This should be great.

Did you read the article that the 90 million figure was actually padded by adding people who are students or retired? The article stated that the actual figure was closer to 20 million. Or did that just not fit in with your preconceived notions?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

This should be great.

Or did that just not fit in with your preconceived notions?

THIS could NOT be more true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I think debating anything with Slim is like arm wrestling with a 2-year old. Why do any of you bother?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

This should be great.

Did you read the article that the 90 million figure was actually padded by adding people who are students or retired? The article stated that the actual figure was closer to 20 million. Or did that just not fit in with your preconceived notions?

So you are claiming that there are 74 million retired folks? .. ROTFLMAO... Or students don't work? ... ROTFLMAO-II
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

YOU'D HAVE TO BE A FOOL TO BELIEVE THE 5% FIGURE ...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, balducci wrote:
I think debating anything with Slim is like arm wrestling with a 2-year old. Why do any of you bother?

Quote of the day!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Will The U.S. Economy Recover? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL