The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic that really isn't magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
At the local magic shop I have been hearing some things lately that make for interesting conversation and would like to talk and get others opinions here on the Café. A lot of times on TV or in shops that sell or show magic there are acts, and products that are called Magic but aren't really magic.

For example the shops owner likes the amazing Jonathan but is a lot of what he does really magic? :Here we have the mystery of the ancient Chinese linking rings, as you can see they are already linked so that saves us a bunch of time.

There was another old school magician in the shop that did not believe Extreme Card Manipulation was really magic. Now he nor I were not saying that it does not take excellent skill and a lot of practice but is it really magic, is there a sense of wonder or is it more like that was really cool.

Also I overheard them discussing how even though they are not magicians how jugglers, clowns, and other acts of similar natures are often grouped together with magicians. I overheard them talking about this and the reason I would think why that seems logical to me is maybe it ties back to carnival/circus days where all these kinds of acts would be presented together.

One think that did come up that always has kind of irked me is whenever you go to bookstore magic is under the "Games" Section.

Fellow Café members what are your opinions on some of these examples, and what other examples do you have of MAgic that is not really magic or pet peeves along these lines such as magic under the games section?

Discuss

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Magic is not magic either... It's "illusion"...

Juggling, especially contact juggling, seems like magic to me.

I think it's under "Games" in the bookstore, because the store would be wasting a shelf by putting the four magic books on a shelf by themselves.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
And sleight of hand magicians are really "finger athletes," in the same way that jugglers and XCMers are athletes that have training their bodies to perform these specialized skills in ways that are entertaining to watch. I try to incorporate a little of each of these skills (juggling when doing Stratosphere for the kids, a few gratuitous card flourishes to spice up a card trick, etc) in what I bill as a magic act. It's really all just entertainment.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
Chris wrote:
One think that did come up that always has kind of irked me is whenever you go to bookstore magic is under the "Games" Section.

Check your local library. The Dewey Decimal System includes magic in with games and hobbies, or Diversions as they were once known. Personally I would categorize magic under performing arts.

And check out a history of Vaudeville and you will discover why these acts tend to be grouped together as "Variety Acts". There is a reason for everything. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a good reason......
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Not to get off topic..

but "VARIETY ACTS"..

why do they call magic variety when most everyone is doing the same nine tricks? Illusionists especially.

tee hee..

take THAT.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I would think performing arts as well. Makeup guy that isn't necessarily off topic as some variety acts can be categorized with magicians as well.

I really wish I could have seen some live vaudeville performances years ago.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic that really isn't magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL