The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Hi,

I am currently working on a routine that involves the production of a silk. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to produce a silk. I've tried the way in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic where the silk is rolled up and somehow tucked in, but this just isn't working for me. I am also trying to find a way to steal the silk. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Matt

You have to check the ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SILK MAGIC. There are many method for producing a silk explain there.
amazenyou
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of amazenyou
Also, Lybrary has Hugard's "Silken Sorcery" for download, just 5 bucks.

C
Youth Writer - Linking Ring Magazine
If you know of a youth that should be featured in my article, let me know!
www.cliffbumgardner.com
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks a lot for the help, I'll be sure to check those sources.

Matt
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Use a ball type dropper under your coat, one one side.

Jim
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1833 Posts

Profile of Anatole
My favorite silk production is the "Flash" Silk Production on page 366 of Tarbell, Volume 4. I do a variation of that production in my Third Millennium Silks routine that you can view at
http://members.cavtel.net/parmenides/21stcentury.mov

I think Channing Pollock sometimes used a single silk production based on a Stillwell Ball subtlety. I don't think he used it in the _European Nights_ clip, but as I recall he used it in his act on Hollywood Palace back in the late 60's or early 70's. If you know what a Stillwell Ball is, you'll understand how a "Stillwell Silk" can be used for a very visual production of a silk.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Very nice Amado!
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
The flash silk made by Werry is also good - an unexpected jump out of your pocket....
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1833 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I posted earlier a reference to Channing Pollock using a modified Stillwell ball technique for a barehand silk production. As the cobwebs cleared from my mind, I remembered that he used that method in the Daniel Boone TV show episode "Seminole Territory," where Pollock plays a traveling magician who uses his magic skills to convince the Seminole Indians that he has real magic powers. Interestingly, I believe it was this episode of Daniel Boone that captured Lance Burton's imagination as a boy in Kentucky and led him to become a magician. Unless I'm mistaken, the young Lance thought the card manipulations in that episode were done using the black art principle. Trivia note: Also appearing in that Daniel Boone episode was an actor named Leonard Nimoy before he became better known for his role as Mr. Spock in _Star Trek_.

----- Sonny Narvaez
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 22:40, amazenyou wrote:
Also, Lybrary has Hugard's "Silken Sorcery" for download, just 5 bucks.

I just bought Hugard's "Silken Sorcery," and it's been reduced to $3. I have a little trouble deciphering which effects or techniques are worth the trouble to make and learn. (I've been spoiled by richly illustrated books and DVDs.)

But still...$3? How can you lose?

Thanks for introducing me to that site. I look forward to browsing around at what else is available.

-Daniel
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I love and perform Howie Schwartzman's opening silk production. Shows his hands empty, claps his hand and there is a silk between his two hands.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Ian,

Where we can see a video of this production? Better yet, how do we learn it?

-Dan
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 01:47, DanielCoyne wrote:
Ian,

Where we can see a video of this production? Better yet, how do we learn it?

-Dan

Checkout the pm
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magic Ian,

Will you be doing this at the lecture in August at FAB in Colon, MI?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2009-01-27 19:35, magicians wrote:
I love and perform Howie Schwartzman's opening silk production. Shows his hands empty, claps his hand and there is a silk between his two hands.

Sounds interesting, is the production published anywhere?
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2009-01-27 19:35, magicians wrote:

Reads like Marconick's 1970 "Production of a Silk" from "Marconick Magic Nr.2." Are they related?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This is Howie Schwartzman's lecture and is written in his notes. I just saw Jeff McBride do a version of it in his lecture as well. Jeff's version has the silk fly to his hand in a flury of mylar confetti. Based on both of those techniques, I wrote a variation of this in Linking Ring Parade to come out in June's issue of Linking Ring. In that article, I give credit to both artists and then give my variation. In mine, I do the production, except the silk is Dushek's Walting Mathilda.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 07:43, Anatole wrote:
I posted earlier a reference to Channing Pollock using a modified Stillwell ball technique for a barehand silk production. As the cobwebs cleared from my mind, I remembered that he used that method in the Daniel Boone TV show episode "Seminole Territory," where Pollock plays a traveling magician who uses his magic skills to convince the Seminole Indians that he has real magic powers. Interestingly, I believe it was this episode of Daniel Boone that captured Lance Burton's imagination as a boy in Kentucky and led him to become a magician. Unless I'm mistaken, the young Lance thought the card manipulations in that episode were done using the black art principle. Trivia note: Also appearing in that Daniel Boone episode was an actor named Leonard Nimoy before he became better known for his role as Mr. Spock in _Star Trek_.

I would love to see that episode. I do not think Daniel Boone airs in my area, and it has been a loooooong time since I have seen an episode.

Didn't Channing guest star on several other tv shows? I was thinking Bonanza was one of them??? I'm sure there are others. I would love to see some of his acting performances. Do you know where could I get a list of shows he played in?

Ian, I will be looking forward to the June issue of The Linking Ring!!!

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:

Regan

The effects were edited, but they should be fun.
Silks, rope, gimmicks, balloons
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-05-22 22:39, magicians wrote:
Quote:

Regan

The effects were edited, but they should be fun.
Silks, rope, gimmicks, balloons

Fun indeed!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL