We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This is a 'serious' question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
What's the difference between the magic Café and the masked magician?

Anybody can "lurk" around and have access to anything about magic, methods and workings. You need not be pre-qualified to enter. You don't need any identity and can get an answer to anything about magic. Even if you don't ask a question, this place is littered with exposed methods, language and inside information.

People complain about the masked magician but yet right here secrets are exposed on a daily basis.

And as a matter of fact, I’ll bet more people have been exposed to magic secrets and methods here than by watching the masked magician on TV.

Serious question.

Seriously concerned.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Do you mean to say that one can learn SECRETS from the Magic Café?

WHOA!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Yah, where the heck are they? I thought this was a political\religous forum.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 09:43, Justin Style wrote:
And as a matter of fact, I’ll bet MORE people have been exposed to magic secrets and methods here than by watching the masked magician on TV.

I'm not sure that's actually the case but you make a good point about secrets leaking out of the Café.

I find the idea of a 'Secret Sessions' section kind of amusing considering secrets are openly being discussed elsewhere in the Café frequently enough.

It's ironic that loads of magi here on the Café will moan for days on end about exposure only to turn around and openly discuss sleights methods etc. without thinking twice as if the Café was one big cone of silence.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
This is like a Library. Someone looking for the info is not the same as outright public exposure of that info.

Or, hang around a Magic Shop long enough and befriend some Magicians... Same thing as the Café...

Masked Magician is mass media...

It's there whether you're looking for it or not...

And it has malicious intent... At least I feel it...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I agree with Pakar here. That said, people here should watch exposure and moderation should kill it when done.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Pakar is right, here you have to do some work and seek out what it is you're looking for. I don't think most laymen care enough where they'll fanatically start seeking secrets. On TV you just have to turn it on and it's there, no work involved.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Okay, good points.

However...

What about the person who watches the show?

If they watch the show they must have some level of interest in "how it's done".

Therefore, once they get the motivation, I wonder if they turn to the internet and then sooner or later wind up here?
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I doubt highly they end up here once they get curious

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sec......s+of+mag

I think they end up here after they discovered crappy explanations else where and have their interest actually kindled.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I don't think people are coming here because there is "nothing else to watch."

This is only, it take some effort to find this place. You have to get up off your couch, turn off the tv, search on google for magic, and then dig through the results.

If someone is coming here, I think there must be some interest in magic, even if it is just the secrets. I am sure there are people in your local magic club that are just interested in the secrets and ways thing work.

Someone looking for secrets is first going to be bombarded with videos of of a self proclaimed marketing genius with glasses, still living with mom, showing how magic apparatus works. This is one of the last places they are going to find. I was looking for magic on google for quite some time before I found the Café.

Like Pakar said, someone looking for secrets on the internet are not out to try and hurt magicians or make us work harder, they just have an interest in the inner workings of magic.
-Matt
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
I saw only the second half of the Masked Magician's show yesyterday here in the U.K. (from the DeKolta chair onwards). Can anyone who saw the same show tell me what else was exposed before this in the first half ? Thanks.
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
No man, go somewhere else and talk about that. This is a DIFFERENT subject.

l8r -
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Justin brings up a good point. I'll admit I've yakked about the way a trick works on the Café after being asked by someone needing advice. I just hope that they were Magicians. On the other hand I doubt if any of you really know if I'm a actual magician or not, unless you do some checking. With the Masked Moron exposeing stuff, even though it's never happened, I often think about what I would do if I'm performing an illusion that was exposed, and have a kid or an adult yell out how it's done. That would be pretty embarassing to have happen.
Bob.
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
Sorry if I've upset you Justin, the fact is, this is NOT a different subject as it deals with exposure, correct ?

Personally, I think a little exposure is good for keeping interest in our art. But, I do feel sorry for any magician who has invested a lot of money into a big illusion, only to find it being exposed on television.
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
PSYSHADOW, I think all Justin is trying to do is focus the discussion specifically on lay-people learning secrets from MM versus the Café.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
PLUS - Just has bigger cards!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Lets see now. Could the difference be that a few million non magicians watched the Masked magician? Whereas there may be a few thousand magicians or at least fans of magic here.

I hope that clears it up.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20335 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea Justin is a good enough guy. He may be too yippy, and seem like a pain, but when you get to know him he is a real pain.

Don't start throwing punches at him. He does NOT deserve it.

This is also kind advice. While Justin is perfectly capable of handling himself and I will not just jump in to jump in, bear in mind he has a history here and people who like him.

Take some time, learn who is who and don't just jump in and attack people. Especially those who don't deserve it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
That's right !@#$%. And know that Danny doesn't jump in to jump because he's in the tropics. I'm on da east side and it's freezing here. I'll jump in no problem. Represent.

This was advice. And while I'm usually nice, I've been kind of a ***** all day today.

edit - p.s. you can try to rag on me, I'll win, but you can try, as I, unlike my boy Justin, am not well liked.

Maybe Vandy, but that's it.
kkentert
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of kkentert
Magic secrets are like drugs. If people want to find them, they will...Do most laymen really go to the effort to browse the Café looking for answers?

(ps-never done a drug in my life..just making a point)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This is a 'serious' question. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL