The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Nick Trost's Subtle Card Creations, vol 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Got an e-mail from Richard Hatch today: Hi Peo! I hope your 2009 is off to a good start!

We’ll be sending volume 2 of The Subtle Creations of Nick Trost to the printer in a few days, with mid to late February shipping expected. Here’s a link to what we currently have on our website:

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......id=14489
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1146 Posts

Profile of Salby
Anybody know what the contents are for Subtle Creations (Volume 2)?

Is the quality of effects closer to Subtle Card Creations (Vol. 1) or The Card Magic Of Nick Trost??

The majority of consumers say there is no comparison between the 2. The Card Magic Of Nick Trost is still the elite of his releases.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
I too, preferred the first hardcover book to the new one, but at the same time I STILL got my money's worth and so I'm sure SCC Vol.2 will be added to my library despite which previous book it is more compared to. I am using something from the last book in my pro. work so I'm pretty happy about that Smile I look forward to the next. Truth is, I've used more effects from "Magic From The Overground" than either of the Trost books Smile

Paul.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Great news Peo! What would we do without you??!!!

Peace,
Vlad
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
How many volumes are there in total?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2009-01-09 22:20, zing82 wrote:
How many volumes are there in total?

I think it will be 8 or 9 volumes.
Hard to tell now after his death.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Quote:
On 2009-01-09 12:58, Paul wrote:
Truth is, I've used more effects from "Magic From The Overground" than either of the Trost books Smile

It would be remarkable if you didn't Paul!
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Contents
Here's the Table of Contents from Volume 2:

Contents

Foreword ............................................................................................ xi

Introduction to Volume 2......................................................................... xiii

12 More Coincidences

Quadruplication........................................................................... 299

Temple Patton’s Coincidence...................................................... 301

Suit-Ability.................................................................................. 303

Al Thatcher’s “Quadruple Match-Up”........................................ 305

Four Of A Kind—Another Version............................................ 308

The Nines I.................................................................................. 311

The Nines II................................................................................. 313

Coincidental Cut.......................................................................... 314

A Coincidence Combination....................................................... 315

A “Staggered” Routine................................................................ 318

13 Hotel Mysteries

The First Hotel Mystery............................................................... 325

The Second Hotel Mystery.......................................................... 327

The Third Hotel Mystery............................................................. 329

The Fourth Hotel Mystery........................................................... 331

The Fifth Hotel Mystery.............................................................. 332

14 Divinations

Trost On “Scarne’s $1,000 Card Trick”....................................... 335

Weighing The Colors................................................................... 338

Rouge Et Noir Divination............................................................ 339

Dr. Rhine, Outdone!.................................................................... 342

Mental Fingertips......................................................................... 345

Red And Black Routine.............................................................. 347

A Divination Routine.................................................................. 351

A Coincidence And Divination Routine..................................... 354

15 The Four Aces

Lucky Aces.................................................................................. 361

Quick Ace Opener....................................................................... 362

Topsy-Turvy Aces........................................................................ 363

The Magnetic Aces...................................................................... 364

Another Version.............................................................. 365

The Magic Thrust Repeated......................................................... 366

A Variation...................................................................... 367

Roll-Over Aces............................................................................ 370

Another Roll-Over Aces.............................................................. 372

A Poker Player’s Puzzler............................................................. 374

Shuffle Tracking The Aces.......................................................... 376

The Trost Four-Ace Routine........................................................ 378

16 More Gambling Tricks

Improved Jack-Jack-Jack............................................................. 384

Four Jacks Deal And Elevator Finish.......................................... 385

Three Jacks And A Full House.................................................... 387

A Stacking Demonstration.......................................................... 389

The Perfect Bridge Hand—Revisited......................................... 392

Gilbreath Plays Bridge................................................................. 394

Brag And Poker Deal.................................................................. 397

Blackjack, Gin And Poker I........................................................ 398

Blackjack, Gin And Poker II....................................................... 399

17 Poker Deals

Deal And Duck Poker................................................................. 403

Double Power Poker.................................................................... 404

Twenty-Card Poker I................................................................... 407

Twenty-Card Poker II................................................................. 409

Repeat Twenty-Card Poker......................................................... 412

Flushed With Success.................................................................. 414

Exchange Poker........................................................................... 415

Exchange Poker—My Original Version...................................... 419

Five-Card Stud Exchange........................................................... 422

Seven-Card Stud Exchange......................................................... 425

Full-Deck Ten Card Poker........................................................... 428

Another Handling............................................................ 431

Poker And Bridge Routine.......................................................... 432

Alternate Handling—Poker Phase................................... 435

18 More Predictions

Choice And Chance—A Double Prediction............................... 437

Double Whammy Prediction....................................................... 439

Gilbreath Value/Suit Prediction................................................... 441

Trost On Hamman’s Value/Color Prediction............................... 442

The Eleven Routine..................................................................... 445

Miraskill With The Equalizer Shuffle.......................................... 448

Miraskill And Psychic Ability..................................................... 451

Psychic Ability With Gilbreath.................................................... 455

Lineup And Psychic Ability........................................................ 457

Triple Climax Clock Trick............................................................ 461

19 More Transpositions

The Sub-Trunk Mystery............................................................... 465

The Jacks Come Back Again....................................................... 467

The Ambitious Jacks.................................................................... 471

The Mystery Of The Penthouse................................................... 473

Tom Hubbard’s “Kings And Commoners”................................. 475

A Triple Transposition................................................................. 478

More Elaborate Version................................................... 480

The Out Of Place Aces................................................................ 481

The Slippery Aces........................................................................ 482

20 Pinochle Puzzlers

Triple Wedding Ceremony.......................................................... 485

Pinochle Marriages Routine I...................................................... 486

Pinochle Marriages Routine II..................................................... 491

Pinochle Marriages Routine III................................................... 494

Pinochle Pentaquin...................................................................... 498

Pinochle Deal............................................................................... 499

Gilbreath Plays Pinochle.............................................................. 501

Exchange Pinochle....................................................................... 502

Pinochle Poker Deal..................................................................... 505

Esp + Pinochle............................................................................. 506

21 Packet Tricks - Part 2

Fool’s Mate.................................................................................. 509

Mississippi Poker......................................................................... 512

Card Cloning............................................................................... 518

Twisting 1-2-3-4.......................................................................... 519

Razzle-Dazzle.............................................................................. 521

Al Thatcher’s Presentation............................................... 526

4-Gone Conclusion...................................................................... 527

4 Flush!........................................................................................ 530

Ace In The Hole.......................................................................... 535

Al Thatcher’s Routine...................................................... 539

Horsin’ Around............................................................................ 542

22 ESP Cards - Part 2

Triple Match By Design............................................................... 549

Esp Jumbo Split........................................................................... 550

Face-To-Face Coincidence.......................................................... 552

A Matter Of Design..................................................................... 554

A Five-Symbol Mystery.............................................................. 555

Trost On Hen Fetsch’s “Symbologic”......................................... 556

Esp Paradox Of Pairs................................................................... 558

Esp Swindle................................................................................. 560

Symbol Sense............................................................................... 561

Triple Esp Divination................................................................... 563

The Ultimate Cidentaquin........................................................... 566

Esp Double Thought.................................................................... 569

Triple Synchronicity..................................................................... 570
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Looking foreward to volume 2 Richard, and speaking of whitch how many of them are planned?
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
It is my understanding that Nick had enough material in his notebooks for approximately 8 such volumes, however, owing to his death, it is not clear if there will be any volumes after this one. He was very meticulous in preparing his work for publication, so without his active participation, the status of future volumes is problematic.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Problematic Richard, but not Impossible I hope, it would be a great loss to Magic if Nick's works ended up in some private collection or worse still lost to time....
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
809 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
If no further volumes are possible, then perhaps an idea might be to release the remaining notebooks in a facsimile edition. These could be sold at a premium rate (100-150 dollars?) to those Nick Trost fans who are prepared to dig through the source material to uncover some unpublished gems. It would be similar to the recent release of The Castle Notebooks... Just an idea!

Joe
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Just in case someone's interested:

I said this before (there must be a thread somewhere), but Vol.1 was very, very poor (IMO). Actually, many people believe that his first book (The Card Magic of Nick Trost) was far superior, as if it had been written by a different person.

Sincerely, it's difficult for me to understand that 6, 7 or 8 volumes are going to be published with material that he apparently didn't include in The Card Magic of Nick Trost for obvious reasons (unless someone sorted out the material in his notes according to its quality and this first volume is the one with the worst stuff, which doesn't sound plausible...).

All I can say is that I have my volume resting on the top shelf, in mint condition, getting older by the minute and that I'm not going to waste my money in any other of the eight volumes. As a matter of fact, despite many friends suggest that I buy his first book, I still resist based on my awful experience with Subtle Card Creations Vol. 1

You're warned...
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Although I prefer The Card Magic of Nick Trost, I thought there were plenty of good effects in vol. 1. Looking forward to vol. 2.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I fully agree with Cameron. The first book is clearly a classic, but as I also enjoyed volume one of Dick and Charlie's series and would be sad to hear that the remainder of material may now be shelved. If future volumes in this series are not possible then I would agree with Joe, regarding the facsimile notebooks. While they would likely not command the same price as the Cervon notebooks I could see a volume or two (or three?) along the lines of The Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
I just finished thoroughly reading The Card Magic of Nick Trost - it's truly one of the great books in modern card magic. Any reviews of the new book yet?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2009-01-19 23:48, sohaib wrote:
I just finished thoroughly reading The Card Magic of Nick Trost - it's truly one of the great books in modern card magic. Any reviews of the new book yet?

Once it is released you will like have your share of reviews, pro and con. I, for one, am anxiously looking forward to the release.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 21:21, Magiguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-19 23:48, sohaib wrote:

Once it is released you will like have your share of reviews, pro and con. I, for one, am anxiously looking forward to the release.

As am I. There are so much effects that I can and do use from his first book - Intuition, Blind-Sight, Matched Picture Cards, and Technicolor Change are just a couple of my favorites.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
The first one have GREAT MATERIAL!!!
Looking for get the second,
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Steve Beam
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of Steve Beam
Nick Trost was a passionate creator who contributed an enormous amount of quality material to card magic. I thoroughly enjoyed both his hardbound books and I'm looking forward to Volume 2 more than anything else currently on my wish list (especially after noting in the contents above that there won't be a follow-up chapter on Euchre tricks).

I think we will see more volumes in the series if Volume 2 sells as well as volume 1. If not, I'm sure Dick and Charlie will be glad to post Volumes 3 through 8 as complimentary downloads to Café attendees because they are nice guys. They really can't help themselves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Nick Trost's Subtle Card Creations, vol 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL