The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help needed for color changing rope idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
Hello everyone,

I just came up with a good idea for an effect that uses a long white rope and a tube. The idea I have is that the magician shows the tube empty and pulls the rope through the tube a couple of times. Then he makes a magical gesture, and pulls the rope through again. The audience sees that the white rope enters the tube, but is amazed when they see that when the robe exists the tube it is red. The performer can stop halfway, showing one side red and the other side white. After pulling the entire robe through, it is now completely red. Then the magician shows the tube is still empty.

Although it sounds to me as a beautiful idea, I keep on wondering how I will be able to accomplish this effect. Does anyone have a reference to a particular gimmick, DVD, Book, tip or to me unknown method that is around that can help me make this effect possible?

I would be most grateful.
"A magician has the skill to conceal the skill"
- Paul Wilson
"Magic is driven by emotion and conflict"
- Tommy Wonder
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
There are some methods to accomplish this. I have two methods off the top of my head and could be a nice commercial effect.
My method includes a continuous pulling of the rope back and forth showing white and red, then all white or all red.
Unless there is a method already out there.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you google "color changing rope" you will see over 50 to choose from.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Do you think that the standard color-change rope ala zanadu is what he is saying?
My thought is that you could take any normal rope and do this.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Reminds me of a half-dyed hank routine, sort of.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I used to have a gimmick you held in hand and did that with a ribbon. I think Norm Nielsen might even sell this. No tube needed.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-08 10:12, Raymagic11 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just came up with a good idea for an effect that uses a long white rope and a tube. The idea I have is that the magician shows the tube empty and pulls the rope through the tube a couple of times. Then he makes a magical gesture, and pulls the rope through again. The audience sees that the white rope enters the tube, but is amazed when they see that when the robe exists the tube it is red. The performer can stop halfway, showing one side red and the other side white. After pulling the entire robe through, it is now completely red. Then the magician shows the tube is still empty.

Although it sounds to me as a beautiful idea, I keep on wondering how I will be able to accomplish this effect. Does anyone have a reference to a particular gimmick, DVD, Book, tip or to me unknown method that is around that can help me make this effect possible?

I would be most grateful.

I pm'd you with an original solution.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-08 15:19, Pete Biro wrote:
I used to have a gimmick you held in hand and did that with a ribbon. I think Norm Nielsen might even sell this. No tube needed.

You know, you could probably rig up a dollar bill changer or money changer to visibly change the rope into the other color. I think that would be better than a tube. Here is my quick attempt at a rope change using a tube like the guyt wanted.
http://stagetricks.com/professor/ropetube.html
No sound and the identity is concealed to protect the ignorant.
Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
My original idea was to use a long rope, I was indeed not talkinbg about the zanadu change effect. The idea is really that a tube the size used in the multiplying bottles routine is used; and that it can be shown empty. The whole idea might not even be possible, but I can at least try. Thanks to magicians there is a way to create the illussion of pushing and pulling to the rope as if it is one, however, there has to be some kind of method to convince the audience that the tube is empty...
I tried black magic, but am working on another solution right now.
- Paul Wilson
- Tommy Wonder
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 08:08, Raymagic11 wrote:
My original idea was to use a long rope, I was indeed not talkinbg about the zanadu change effect. The idea is really that a tube the size used in the multiplying bottles routine is used; and that it can be shown empty. The whole idea might not even be possible, but I can at least try. Thanks to magicians there is a way to create the illussion of pushing and pulling to the rope as if it is one, however, there has to be some kind of method to convince the audience that the tube is empty...
I tried black magic, but am working on another solution right now.

Like any progressive idea, the steps to creating a good new effect start with the premise and the solution. I removed the video of the prototype and will post the final resolution when I have done what you wish. Showing the tube is a minor problem, as there are several existing methods for doing so. The hard part, (which I solved) was the continuity of the rope movement. I can feed the rope in, move the rope at the top and have a blue one emerge, and then pull the rope out completely changed. The interesting thing that no-one noticed (and was deliberate on my part) was that the white rope did not fall out the bottom of the tube when held upright.
The thing is, you don't always have to show a tube empty, like working with a thu** tip, you don't have to reveal empty palms or hands if you do other things to imply that the hand is empty...like merely picking up something else with the hand with the gimmick on. In the case of the tube, I could pass a stick thru it or a silk and that will imply that the tube is not blocked and therefore empty.
-------------------
Now, once the prototype of an original effect is made, you work out the bugs. I like the challenge. I do not look at existing methods unless they are exactly as you want.
---------
Showing the tube is not a problem. The length of the tube with the method I am using, has to be close to the size of the rope, so I have to work on getting the tube smaller for you. As I mentioned in the PM to you, there is a weight in the blue rope (I didn't have red), in order to have the rope travel at the same speed as the white rope going in. IF I use a heavier weight, then I can use a shorter rope. Film at eleven.
Now, if I use a square tube rather than round...then I think the tube can be shown empty, as the square lends itself to a gimmick more than the round.
----------------------
I also like the Money maker adapted for rope. I have done that in the past with silks, and rope requires a thicker setup. But the hollow core ropes make it possible.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Update: I can now show the tube empty before and after. The tube is 12" tall, the rope is 30" long. Rope goes in and when pulled out the other side,,it changes color. Can be pulled back and forth, and when pulled out it has completely changed. No more weight required. Ropes are ungimmicked. I am doing the finishing touches within the day or so.

-Ian
Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
Sounds good, very good. Especially the money maker gimmick sounds quite inventive. I`m looking forward to the refined version:)

btw; I really appreciate the fact that you are willing to work out this small idea so extensively.. I`m off to the magic shop tomorrow, trying to build up a stage show, and maybe finding ways to further make the robe through tube effect reality:)
- Paul Wilson
- Tommy Wonder
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You still didn't give the purpose and/or necessity of using a tube or even changing the rope color.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help needed for color changing rope idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL