The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Marc Paul's 'Affected by Berglas' (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Check out this thread for an eye witness account of the ultimate ACAAN and also ultimate Visible Coin bending and straithening routines which I witnessed being performed in the Ruskin Hotel late Saturday night/early sunday morning at this years Blackpool Magic Convention

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#18

Its in the "Are you feeling sleepy" section
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Check out this thread for an eye witness account of the ultimate ACAAN and also ultimate Visible Coin bending and straithening routines which I witnessed being performed in the Ruskin Hotel late Saturday night/early sunday morning at this years Blackpool Magic Convention

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#18

Its in the "Are you feeling sleepy" section
marcpaul
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
Sixten,
Just to clarify a point.To my knowledge I have NEVER told anyone that what I did on Parkinson was Affected By Berglas. I remember having to deal with this before on here. Please don't imply that I'm misrepresenting my products. I don't do that. Affected by Berglas is clearly described on my website. I do know that one of the dealers was selling Affected by Berglas claiming it was what I did on Parkinson. But that was not me. Anyone who buys from me knows what they are getting. A table hopping version of ACAAN that I have been using since the mid 1990's. It is also capable of delivering the perfect effect (The Berglas Effect) under certain conditions.

All the best

Marc
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4427 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Hi Marc:

When my friend went to your site, he read the write-up for your effect.
As you know, states:
"This is Marc Paul's version of this reputation making effect."
Then, according to this individual, he informed me that he contacted you, via e-
mail, asking if this effect was the same as on your video clips?
(Parkinson Show and the other stage version)
When he contacted me, he informed me that it was. This is why we both purchased
it, from you.
Now, if you don't recall telling him this I believe you.

When I received the effect, from you, because of this prior information, seeing it
wasn't as you performed, I then sent you a private mail asking what would be your
out? (If things did not fall into place)

Marc, the bottom line, to all of this, for me, is, (nothing against your effect)
if knowing that this effect employed, what it does employ, for the method, I
would have passed on it.

Again, I am staying with what is working for me. (As already threaded above)

There is hope, in the future, for us? Maybe, one day, you may release the
version that was on the show?

Very best, Marc.

Sixten
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3780 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
That is impossible Sixten without him tipping the method ie pre show. You know that, Marc knows that, David Berglas knows that and so does 100 % of all magicians if they are hand on heart and honest. We all want real magic but unfortunately it doesn't exist regards Gary
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2011 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Just for the record I agree with Nasawan on this. I've read several books on this matter, in fact I'm currently reading MTB by Born (excellent book) and just to get to the point this trick can not happen without the use of a stooge. Yes the card is fairly called no doubt there. But the second person is the BRAINS behind the effect. He's the one doing the math. The only other time it can happen is by pure 100% luck! Which btw is also a part of magic!

But here is one more reason I know this to be the case. Magicians like to share ideas. Now I'm not saying we know it all---but from what I've read on this fantastic board with the very talented people someone would know how this was done and shared it by now. If it were truly the case of something that could be learned, but someone wanted to keep it a secret---it would never have lasted this long. Someone would have figured it out. And I believe we did. Does it take away from the effect? No not at all. But now we are able to entertain with this effect too! And that's why we teach and learn isn't it? So other magicians can entertain other people too.

If people think I'm wrong and someone can do this effect as in the video than I ask you to contact me. I have myself and a friend who will volunteer to be the ones chosen to pick a card and a number and I will count down to that card and if it works I will buy you a big pizza and a beer! Hows that?

BTW I write this only because I've seen people chase the impossible before. Now I know we should not limit what we can do or learn. But maybe there is knowledge in learning that some things and this includes certain attempted tricks are impossible. Magicians, like man, must know their own limitations. That's wisdom.

Good magic to all,

Eric
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
For an easy ACAAN I use Phil Goldstein's ruse to have the card selected as explained in his 4-sided triangle (Red Book of Mentalism or Prism) and the number using Barrie Richardson's Impromptu ACAAN. The result is a thought-of card at any number so you can count down to the card at the freely selected number before asking the spectator to say what the thought-of card was. You then reveal that the card at that number is their thought-of card.
Martin
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2011 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Martin don't you just love Phil Goldstein's (AKA Max Mavin) Prism? Man I love that book. And Larry Beckers Stunners plus---wow good stuff.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
If you want an "almost perfect" version of The Berglas effect (ACAAN) then do yourself a favour and check out this thread..

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......t=180#25

You'll be glad you did

Stuart
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Martin, thanks for the tip.
Magic is a vanishing art.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Stuart ,

Since the other thread on ACAAN which you took over with sales pitches was PULLED and REMOVED , it does not surprise me that you will latch onto any thread as a means or promoting it again.

If you want to promote your effect, why not set up a new thread in Latest and Greatest ??

Do you know why the thread was pulled ???

Was it the the questions regading the sales claims beng misrepresentitive ??

Was it the link to how to be a millionaire schemes ??

Was it the lack of direct response from yourself to valid questions raised by well know Café members concerning your product??

regards

Andy
DonHendrix
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DonHendrix
Any time that you read an ad which tells you to order fast "while our limited supply lasts", and the item is a pdf, then you should proably exercise caution.
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Quote:
On 2009-03-24 10:56, Photo-Wizard wrote:
If you want several "Near Perfect" methods for ACAAN then check this link out:

http://www.imentalism.com/index.php/e-books/cards/acaan

Cheers

Stuart

it funny how you take parts of a negative or saracastic review and make it sound like a compliment / positive review of you rproduct. lol
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
I received an email from MagicTao.co.uk announcing "Affected by Berglas". Under the description of the trick it said : " Watch trailer" The trailer showed the version where Marc Paul never touched the cards in the Parkinson show and another one. This is bad practise. I'm shure Marc Paul does not agree with this. Magic dealers should have more respect for their clients.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4427 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Ditto! poesjenel.

I sent Mr. Paul a p/m, earlier, making him aware of this.

:)
T,im Dawson
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of T,im Dawson
This effect is now available with a DVD from World Of Magic
tjd
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
Can the deck be examined?
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4427 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Unfortunately, no, ahzhe.
(Reason: Kindly re-read my thread, page 1)

Sixten
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Regular user
UK
102 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
On an earlier posting by Nanaswan, he is absolutely right! As I mention is another post on these forums, my wife and I were at that Parkinson TV recording as the studio audience (3rd row if you watch the whole episode the camera shows the audience). And as mentioned before, what you see on TV is NOT what we saw in the studio.
If we all stop wishing that David Berglas had this wonderful effect and look at the facts. If we are to believe that a mixed deck, never touched, a card picked at random, a number between 1 and 52 is picked - The card chosen is in that position can really happen, think again! As for those who talk about odds, magicians do not rely on odds, you can't tell an audience who've paid money to see you that you'll do a trick on the hope it works!!! But stop and think about the Berglas Effect. If the cards are mixed, there is no way any human can know where all 52 cards are located (unless you own x-ray eyes). Once a card is named for example the 3 of Clubs. This card will be in one position only, lets say its the 3rd card from the top. We've already established that the magician cannot and never will rely on a spectator calling out a random number of 3. So lets say they call out 34. It's just not possible for that card to magically move itself to the correct place.
So lets assume that the cards are stacked and Berglas memorises the entire pack (we know this is possible). But it does not get away from the fact someone can call out a random number. So Berglas knowing the entire pack order is of no use to him.... Unless he can indicate to a stooge the number he wants them to have (or the stooge himself has memorised the order of the pack).
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of drphil
Pre show, stooge or adjustment after card and number is named. Nothing else will work the magician must control the cards someway or it is chance not a magic effect. It can however look as though you have done nothing and remembered that way also. The real goal of the magician is to find what works best. If you know a mem. deck you are one step ahead because when the card is named you will know its deck location. A simple math formula will let you know where you need to cut the deck to have the named card appear at the called for number. Finding the hidden way to hand the deck out and adjust the deck at the same time is one way of doing it. Look into John Born's book on the subject.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Marc Paul's 'Affected by Berglas' (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL