The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » making a new levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I want to make my own aga type levitation that is contained in a platform, not behind the curtain. I am going to make this with a welder I know. Does anyone know how I can learn about this?...any good books about levitations? Or does anyone have anything in general they can say about it (where to find parts, what parts I would need, hydralic vs. mechanical, etc.)? What are good levitations on the market right now? What do you think of the Gamolo? I have heard both good and bad things about it. What is the set up like? How can you possibly levitate a person with no props at all on stage, no curtain, and she starts on the floor and rises up...to me that sounds like sketchy advertising...and it can all fit in the trunk of your car. Let me know any thoughts!
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Theres a book called Stage Flying by John A. McKinven.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Stage Flying says nothing about modern levitations, just those past mechnical contraptions to the Magic Masters of the past. It's good for magic historians.

Now Bruce Armstrong's Encylopedia of Suspensions and Levitations does give the reader some good ideas. It teaches the reader concepts on this topic.

If you are going to build levitations, you will need to study this topic and illusions in general by the illusion masters, Steinmyer and Wakling.

The other option is to buy the plans, if they are available.

Like yourself, I've heard the pros and cons of the Gamolo. I've even bought a used one which appears to have numerous welding repairs and modifications. Weight restrictions are an issue. It is also noisy so loud music must drown out the noise.

I have the following Suspensions and Levitations and they each have their pros and cons:

• Sword Suspension (Modifing to become a Levitation)
  • Neon Pole Suspension
  • Modified Super X Type Suspension (Home Made)
  • Flying Carpet Suspension (Modified to become a Stage Levitation)
  • Chair Suspension (Modified to become a Stage Levitation)
  • Gamolo II Levitation (Not the one Advertised)
  • 3-in-1 Levitation (Modified for other uses)

The Chair Suspension is the only one above which can be used in a living room and 360 surrounded. The Flying Carpet has its draw backs, kids easily figure it out, so I've converted it into a stage levitation.

You might want to check out these illusion links.
Dennis Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Den,
Which one of your numerous levitation/suspensions do you find yourself using the most? And why? And which one do you think is the most impactful and why? You've made such a thorough study of the subject it seems.

Jim

PS: I just ordered the suspension and levitation book from abbotts.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Den,
Would you sell your Gamolo? I would like to take a look at one even if I couldn't use it...just to study then and maybe use that as a base to start from to make my own. I could look at it, see how to make it better, come up w/ new ideas, etc. So would you ever sell it?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

No, I just can't part with it because I am thinking of ways to use it and slient the motor.

The best, well that's tough. If I had to choose one, it would be the 3-in-1 because of the versitility of it on stage. I can use it with my other suspensions and it completely changes the illusion into a new unseen routine.

I don't' even need an assistant, just a stage hand. For instant, I can have a volunteer from the audience bring up their folding chair and then levitate them, then they can take the chair back down with them. It is one of those tricks that blow the audience away. It's new and has a lot of potential. The price is nice also.

It is not without it's faults, backdrop and a good strong stage assistant.

I have an absolute love for suspensions and levitations. And have a lot of written text on it but they are not very good.

Below are the levitations I have and my feeling about them:

Chair Suspension. I like it because it can be done in a living room and it is a great marketing tool for a magic show.

3-in 1 Levitation:
Great multipurpose levitation and so much can be done with it. However, it requires a backdrop, a stagehand, an assistant (but not all the time see above) and considerable practice to use it. It has a lot of potential but can only be done on a stage. It is also bulky and a lot of weight.

Sword Suspension:
Again, bought used and needs repair, but a very powerful effect. I would like to use a board with it and make it like a table for my birthday shows then use it like a chair suspension but with swords and remove two swords floating the birthday child.

Gamalo Levitation:
I could never spell this right or even say it. I bought it used, and damaged, and it is very noisy. It requires electricity and an assistant. It needs to be done on a stage and lighting needs to be controlled. Yes it looks good but again limited use. It's advantage is that it's a levitation very important for the extra powerful effect it has on an audience.

Electric Neon Pole Suspension:
It requires electricity and an assistant, and it is home made. I got burned on this purchase like the Gamalo. Good only for stage. Good Halloween effect. Never tried it yet!

Flying Carpet:
I like this suspension and modified it to use on stage with the 3-in-1 which converts it into a levitation. Blows the minds of those magicians who think this trick sucks. With kids, the kids always say move the screen and it seems they "logically" know how this effect is done. As for birthday parties, I am trying to find a way to carry it in a house without taking it apart and keeping the kids after the show from running behind looking at it. (Tough one but got to use great audience management techniques to move the kids as a group like Ken Scott does after his show (Shown on his video)

A Home made Pipe Super-X Suspension:
Good for picture right now. I haven't tried it on stage yet. With the attachments I got from the Gamalo Levitation it really looks good with the hoop pass method and the "Z" like gimmick. Still can't use in the living room.
Dennis Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Den,
Thanks for the great post! I too love floating effects. Does Ken Scott use the Flying Carpet in his video that you mentioned?

I have recently completed making my flying carpet. (I have wanted one of these since I was 14.) I only performed it once so far--in a friend's living room with good control of the small number of kid's present--but I will be doing it on stage on May 15 for a 500 to 1000 size crowd.
Do you think it's possible to use the flying carpet with a volunteer (kid) from the audience w/o revealing the secret? I have built a revoling carpet. Does yours revolve? I believe the revolving would probably compromise the secret to a volunteer, even with the Jim Sommers changes (which I haven't incorporated at this point but may).
Per your comments about moving the carpet in and out, I build my carpet so that it sets up and breaks down very quickly. It's got a sort of quick release. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Ken Scott's video is excellent in audience management control techniques. It is not about the flying carpet. The Flying Carpet is in Tony Hassini video, Learn how to do Magical Illusions (Approximately $10)

My Flying Carpert is commercially bought and it is bolted into the base. Any yes, I do use a volunteer, however, I don't revolve them around, only left or right avout 45 degrees.

I also place a turban on his head and tell him/her not to move or the hat will fall off. They usually listen. Also, in the comercial version, most of the gimmick is hidden so they really don't see it.

I've heard if one uses spandex, or a flocked screen backing and flocked gimmick, the volunteer can be walked around the Flying Carpet casually. (Just walked around it without focusing on it or bringing attention thar this illusion is going to be used.) I've been wanting to do this, bought the flocking (AC Moore store), but never got around to it.
Dennis Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Den,
Thanks for the tip on controlling the volunteer via a turban. Good idea. Re: the flocking, etc. I read those older posts and because of all those great suggestions, made my carpet with two screens. They look identical, but one is a little different. I remove the g****ked screen first, because that puts all the heat on the ung****ked screen, so that when that one is pulled back even further away all that is left are the crossed sceptars (I use "sceptars" rather than swords).
Moving on to Ken Scott's video--and a little off topic--does he talk about his sound system and how to use it in the video? I'm goign to be making a suitcase table with a boom box inside it and would love to be able to control which cuts I play from the table top with some kind of remote control. Thanks.
Jim
PS: I'm looking forward to the suspensions and levitations book I ordered.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
In regards to the Gamolo levitation.
I thought about buying one of these. Then I heard some stories from other who owned it. Then I thought I would get the plans and make my own with some modifications.

However, you all say the noise is pretty high.

What if you took sound proofing foam
(you know what the use in recording studios) and lined the inside of the box that houses the motor ect....

Would it work at all?

All the best,
Mike
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Mike,

My model is an older one and the actuator motor is noisy. Your thoughts are the same as mine but I haven't done that yet.

I am trying to justify the box and how to make it useful like standing on it to give the impression of height.
Dennis Michael
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I see said the blind man to the deaf dog.

Can you take the components and mount it into a platform or something and have the girl rise from the ground?

If you try it let me know if it works!

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » making a new levitation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL