The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Centaurs and Mermaids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Another oldie from Tamariz you guys might not have seen. If you don't like packet tricks with cartoon characters give this a miss. If mythological characters are your thing worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRDO4zdG6w

Not the best performance by yours truly but adequate enough to post. I left out a few lines.

The effect was originally produced by a company in Madrid. Maybe Spanish members of the forum will be able to confirm if the effect is still on the market.

Paul.
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
159 Posts

Profile of swamy
Nice...

The facts/information/knowledge gain is one good aspect about the illustrated effects. In this effect it is about Mythological characters.

This effect is there in the DVD by Juan Tamariz 'Lessons in Magic Video series' Vol-3.

swamy
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I think I have seen this effect before I've always liked it. It's like a different approach to anything a spectator has ever seen.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Very nice presentation Paul.

Where did you get the cards from? Are they hand made?

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2009-01-10 15:15, motown wrote:
Very nice presentation Paul.

Where did you get the cards from? Are they hand made?

Craig

Picked these up at a convention in the eighties, either at Blackpool or one of the Costa Brava conventions in Spain. The cards are actually plastic and hand colored. The mermaids are actually topless but I recently added bikinis with a marker pen to make it more suitable for U.S. restaurant audiences. Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Beautiful job Paul. I've always loved this as it's a card trick, but it won't be remembered as one. I made my own cards years ago when I worked for a printer. They came out OK, but I've been thinking about having them redone. Do you ever produce the real seahorse?
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
I have the cards here:
http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/mediapoo......LE43.jpg

These may not be the original ones, but they were drawn for me and I love'em.
JFYI: thia set of all necessary cards is EUR 18.00.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I couldn't find these on your web site.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 02:59, pepka wrote:
Beautiful job Paul. I've always loved this as it's a card trick, but it won't be remembered as one. I made my own cards years ago when I worked for a printer. They came out OK, but I've been thinking about having them redone. Do you ever produce the real seahorse?

Pepka, no, that was never even suggested in the instructions I had, but perhaps elsewhere.

But now you mention that, it reminds me Daniel Cross used to market a floating seahorse did he not, in the eighties, early nineties? Or maybe I'm just imagining that. The Tamariz effect, production of the seahorse, which then comes alive and seems to swim in the air sounds neat. With ocean wave sounds in the background of course...
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The only version I've seen is on Juan's DVD and he produced a small seahorse from the fan of cards and gave it to a young lady.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
You can get them artificially made by me in old style, I am planning to release this effect together with Juan Tamariz again, he was very interested, but it will take some times as there will also be a new DVD with it. Juan developed his version even further and still performs it!

The prototypes are already ready and can be ordered from me directly.

If you like I can post a few of the images.

And Paul: great performance!!

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 17:41, Paul wrote:

But now you mention that, it reminds me Daniel Cross used to market a floating seahorse did he not, in the eighties, early nineties? Or maybe I'm just imagining that.

You're not imagining it, Paul. See here: https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=9442
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 04:43, Card-Shark wrote:
You can get them artificially made by me in old style, I am planning to release this effect together with Juan Tamariz again, he was very interested, but it will take some times as there will also be a new DVD with it. Juan developed his version even further and still performs it!

The prototypes are already ready and can be ordered from me directly.

If you like I can post a few of the images.

And Paul: great performance!!

Christian

Yes, please post an image. Thanks.

Robert
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pepka, I've not seen Juan's DVD but that does sound like a great finish. Christian says above Juan continued to work on the routine over the years, the version I came across was obniosly the earliest version.

Re: " And Paul: great performance!! " You're kind Christian, in reality it was an adequate performance, I trip over my words occasionally, missed out a gag line and something else could have been better. But it served it's purpose, to bring it to people's attention. Since there was no exposure I was too lazy to reshoot it. And I've never seen Juan perform it, but I can imagine it is exceptional in his hands.

So many good old packet tricks are unknown to some of todays magicians.

Dan, thanks for adding that link to prove my memory is not as bad as I thought, and my apologies for spelling "Cros" with a double S.

Paul.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
First of all, here is the original performance of Juan Tamariz that is available in Youtube, it is hard to find if you search for the Centaurs, I found it looking for Juan Tamariz videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5juunpU_TQU

Paul, I am a German guy and happy to understand all you said. But as I do a lot of misspelling or use bad expressions I did not see any mistakes in your video Smile...

Images come in a second, I print them on my old Heirloom card stock so I have to "simulate" this effect with Photoshop to show them to you correctly. They are available in two version, one for the world and one censored one for the USA (with bra on) Smile!!!

BTW, the switch of the card is much more clever now, I did not see it even I knew that he was prepared doing it.

Chinese Proverb
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thanks for the link, Christian. There are some nice subtleties in the performance and it was nice to see Juan doing the routine.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
So here come the images of the cards for this effect, hope I do not destruct the layout here. If yes, I will make it smaller and will update it.

The second version with the mermaid shows the censored version. Smile

Chinese Proverb
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Beautiful!

Robert
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I also have Juans DVD and was very charmed by his routine. Is always nice to see good story routines.

I'm looking forward to seeing Juans new DVD.

The cards look great.
– Karl Germain
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
What do you think about the following? I would like to produce souvenir seahorses that you can hand out after showing the routine to a spectator. That would make it possible to keep a memorable moment of a strong magic effect. I heard so often that people kept playing cards or other produced "magic" items in their wallet.

At the moment I am searching for a most beautiful yet payable solution. Any ideas?

Chinese Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Centaurs and Mermaids (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL