The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Making a box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
I am building a illusion (noah's ark) which I need to make a box that rests on top of the base. The sides, front and back all have doors and I need to hold these panels together some how. I am wondering how to assemble and disassemble the box for easy transportation and storage. The box doesn't have to be very sturdy just strong enough so the side don't fall over or wiggle. Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome.

Thanks

Carlos
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I have several box-type illusions (i.e. doll house) where the sides are held together with simple loose-pin hinges. Easy to acquire, easy to install, easy to set up, easy to tear down.

I bend my own pins out of a slightly thinner wire than the pins that come with the hinge. This assures the easy installation and removal. I also keep extra wire in a road box so that if a pin goes missing I can easily make a replacement. I know some people make a small loop in the end of the pin so as to tie a string to the pin and tie the opposite end to a small eyelet permanently fastened to the inside panel of the illusion so that the pin is always there. Personally, I just keep a small zippered pouch with each illusion that contains all of its necessary hardware.
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
Thanks Frank! I definitely do that! Are these just a hinge like on doors that you can pull out the middle? Sounds like a good idea... Thanks again for your help.

Thanks

Carlos
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Loose pin hinges. you can get them at any home center.They sell pins with loops at the ends also if you don't have means to bend them.
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
Thanks IDO! Now I know what to look for Smile Again Thanks you both for your help!

Thanks

Carlos
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
You can use simple door hinges used for kitchen cabinets, available at any hardware store. About two dollars a pack. They are great.

I use coat hanger wire. It is a little thicker, and will keep the two walls in place. You want something a little closer to the thickness of the pin that goes into those hinges. [Thinner wire will allow the walls to wiggle around, and your prop looks like it is ready to fall apart.]

Coat hanger wire has worked out great, because you can grab them at any hotel when out on the road.

Love the idea of using a loop at the top of it, and securing it to the illusion so they are not lost.

Rich
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
THESE work very well, and there are many other types of "knockdown fasteners" that will also be more sturdy than loose-pin hinges.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks Thomas I've been looking for these.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-01-10 15:20, IDOTRIX wrote:
Thanks Thomas I've been looking for these.

No problem, IDIOTRIX.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
Thank-you all so very much for your suggestions these are great!

Thanks

Carlos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Making a box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL